PDA

View Full Version : Getting a goat to swallow a pill?

Murphy's Mom
Feb. 27, 2012, 04:44 PM
My 9 month old Boer goat, Spot, majorly screwed up his stifle last week and is non-weight bearing on his left hind. The vet injected him with something like Adequan and gave me a supply of Rimadyl to hopefully keep the inflammation down. The problem is that I can’t get Spot to eat the pills. Any ideas on how to get him to take it? He was a bottle baby so very tame. I’ve tried shoving it down his throat but he refuses to swallow and spits out the pill every time.

giantpony
Feb. 27, 2012, 04:49 PM
My goats never refuse something sweet so I would wrap the pill in something yummy, maybe a piece of fruit roll up? Mine also really like bread and buns, so hiding it in a piece of that might be an option.

Another more labour intensive method would be to crush the pill, mix with applesauce and squirt it in his mouth like you would horse dewormer.

Mine go crazy for children's berry flavoured ibuprofen so if they ever need a bit of pain relief or fever relief that's what I use. I just draw it in a syringe (no needle) and walk in the pen and they fight over who gets the yummy treat.

Good luck!
GP

Bluey
Feb. 27, 2012, 04:51 PM
Ask your vet to show you how to use a balling gun.
Makes life much easier for all and you are sure your animal gets all the medication.

Pa Rural
Feb. 27, 2012, 05:25 PM
Might want to see if you can get something injectable. One of my nannies impaled her leg on a sappling and required 21 days of antibiotics and pain meds. Injections were easier than holding her down and getting her meds in her mouth. Of course there is always the reaction factor with injections but I did not have any problems.

Epona142
Feb. 27, 2012, 06:13 PM
Pet sized pill gun or switch to an injectable. :)

I've had some luck wrapping it in bread, but not much and only for certain goats.

Good luck!

Ghazzu
Feb. 27, 2012, 07:11 PM
They make a small ruminant-sized balling gun.
Looks like a giant cat piller.

Love My TB Consent
Feb. 28, 2012, 02:37 AM
Don't know if this is an option due to the time of year but we used leaves when we had to feed pills to my goat before he unfortunately died (he was also getting a few injections too, but one med was in pill form). We would feed a leaf, then wrap the pill in leaf then feed another leaf. It worked great, actually our goat vet suggested it.

I have to say though, if it's something that is available to inject, I'd do that 100 times over feed through anything.

pj
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:06 AM
Ask your vet to show you how to use a balling gun.
Makes life much easier for all and you are sure your animal gets all the medication.
This. Whole lot easier and no bitten fingers.
You probably can find the cheap plastic ones that work just fine at goat and sheep supply places.