PDA

View Full Version : Grrr.... Horse 2, Fence 0

Trevelyan96
Feb. 27, 2012, 04:28 PM
Mr. Trev woke up yesterday the morning, looked out the window, woke me up and said "one of the horses is in the wrong place." Thankfully it was an interior fence and not a perimiter one.

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww126/arlubinsky/?action=view&current=fence2.jpg

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww126/arlubinsky/?action=view&current=fence1.jpg

Luckily horse is OK, only a few scrapes on his RH. I think the turnout sheet must have protected him. Thumbs up for TOTD 1200D turnout. Not even a snag on the sheet.

Dumb horses were standing on either side of the broken fence looking at each other with longing because they couldn't be in the same paddock when all they had to do was step over the bottom board that was about 6" off the ground. Even after we removed all the broken boards and post, they wouldn't walk through the opening.

Makes me consider putting boards on both sides of my perimiter fencing. Or would hot wire be a better choice.

pcwertb
Feb. 27, 2012, 04:36 PM
I have hot wire on mine and I don't have pastures that share fencelines :)

JB
Feb. 27, 2012, 04:59 PM
Oh definitely put hot wire up for all board fencing :yes: A single strand of VERY hot low tensile wire should keep them off it enough to not challenge it, at least not voluntarily :lol:

Trevelyan96
Feb. 27, 2012, 06:54 PM
I really do think that must have been a total run through, because mine are really good about not challenging the fence. I don't think it had been long between the incident and discovery, as all of their hay was eaten and they were still each on their 'own' side of the fence, but from the looks of it he was in full move to take it down like that, and all scrapes were on the RH, so he probably went through front first at full speed and not deliberately. I'm guessing it was either a spook/bolt, or Rico was chasing him. I'm kind of grateful there wasn't a strand of hot wire or he'd have cut himself up badly on it.

JB
Feb. 27, 2012, 07:51 PM
The thing about low tensile hot wire is it breaks easily if they do somehow manage to get into it.

That doesn't mean they can't get wrapped in it and do serious damage, but if they're going to go straight through, it will break fairly easily to allow them to pass

Hilary
Feb. 27, 2012, 08:34 PM
I have this problem right now b/c the pony is so hairy he doesn't mind/feel the electric!

Cameraine
Feb. 27, 2012, 08:50 PM
My husband goes to work very early. One morning at around 4am he is getting ready for work steps on to the back porch and his ApHC gelding is staring at him from 3 inches away. He was almost completely on the porch, and sooo not where he was supposed to be.

He's pretty big, 15.3hds, but thinks he's a shetland pony and just eels through the electrabraid. BAD Pony!

tangledweb
Feb. 27, 2012, 11:04 PM
The last new horse we added is quite dominant. On one of the first nights she was here she was in a field separated from the next inhabited field. She smashed through two fences to go over and kick the current boss horse, then rather than go back through the holes she'd made, smashed two new holes in the fences she'd already breached to get back to her own field before breakfast.

gailbyrd
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:14 AM
I prefer electric tape to wire. If the horse does go though it, they won't get tangled and cut up like with wire. Silly ponies!!!

jessiesgrrl
Feb. 28, 2012, 03:07 PM
Had one alpha mare out with her herd, apparently she decided to play chase with all the others, another horse broke the top board off the fence (we have top boards, then 3 lines of coated flex wire evenly spaced from the ground to 3ft to allow their heads to grab grass on the other side)...the game of chase stopped.

Then my little guy walks right up to the downed area, pops right over from a stand, and proceeds to eat all the grass on the other side:lol: