TPF Hunter
Feb. 27, 2012, 03:24 PM
What would you name your Popeye K baby?

AllOverFarm
Feb. 27, 2012, 03:30 PM
K-Rod. ( baseball payer)

vxf111
Feb. 27, 2012, 03:58 PM
Positive K ("I Gotta' Man" rapper from the early 90s)

silanac
Feb. 27, 2012, 04:26 PM
is there a 'Special K' out there yet? lol

my friend's first Popeye K is named 'ris k'... love it!

Oh-K
what d'ya-K

vbunny
Feb. 27, 2012, 06:16 PM
OK Go. Course I like the band, too...

Lord Helpus
Feb. 27, 2012, 06:42 PM
I followed the nautical theme and also wanted to give credit to the breeder (Carleton Warmbloods) so I went with:

Two If By C

A mini pet peeve: Popeye's name is Popeye. The K stands for his breeder.

Just because Popeye's name ends with a K does not mean it is appropriate for it to be used in his offsprings' names. It is only appropriate for Popeye's breeder (and anyone else whose name begins with K) to use.

Lynnwood
Feb. 27, 2012, 06:59 PM
I think I'd go with Pop Culture and Pop Art since the K was used to represent his breeder's line of horses.

EquineLVR
Feb. 27, 2012, 07:15 PM
Jack Sparrow

Canteringkids
Feb. 27, 2012, 07:20 PM
I love food names, so my first thought was "Popover." Suitable for a hunter, yes?:winkgrin:

showponies
Feb. 27, 2012, 07:54 PM
Sailor...

jewll27
Feb. 27, 2012, 08:31 PM
I'm sure theres one already, but Olive :)

Equine Studies
Feb. 27, 2012, 08:33 PM

Just because Popeye's name ends with a K does not mean it is appropriate for it to be used in his offsprings' names. It is only appropriate for Popeye's breeder (and anyone else whose name begins with K) to use.

Glad it didn't take long for someone to point that out.

Crazy-Pony
Feb. 27, 2012, 09:12 PM
I'd give my right eye for a Popeye K baby. Congrats! Here are some naming ideas:

Popoever
Like the food. It'd be a cute name for a hunter, no?

Pop Culture
Going with the whole Pop theme...

Pop Art
Again, going with the whole Pop theme...

Sodapop
Still on the pop them, but a tad different. Soda or pop is the term for any fizzy drink. Also, In the book, The Outsiders, Sodapop is the protagonist, Ponyboy’s, happy-go-lucky, handsome brother.

Pop Rocks
Again with the pop theme! Pop Rocks are carbonated candies that create fizzy reactions when dissolved in one's mouth. Pop rocks are also a COTH term for coated omeprazole granules, which (I think) are used for ulcer treatment and prevention .

Sailor Man
Okay, enough with the pop theme. You know, like the song? I'm Popeye the sailor man, I'm Popeye the sailor man, I'm strong to the fin-ich, Cause I eats me spin-ach, I'm Popeye the sailor man...

Swee'Pea
In the Popeye cartoons, this is Popeye's adopted baby son.

mostlynothing
Feb. 27, 2012, 09:22 PM
Lord Helpus when I bred to Popeye the breeders encouraged the use of the K in the name but you are correct that it is the breeders identification standing for Kaneef. As a result of the breeders encouragement many people have used the K in the name of the offspring. I am not sure what Spencers would like to see done.

Lexus
Feb. 27, 2012, 10:06 PM
I have a Popeye baby bred by Spencer Ranch. I kept the name they gave him, there is no initial of any sort after his name.

wcporter
Feb. 27, 2012, 10:12 PM
Bluto ;)

overthemoon
Feb. 27, 2012, 10:42 PM

Thank you!!!

(I also love your guy's name.)

This Weird Quirk
Feb. 27, 2012, 10:43 PM
ID K

:lol:

vxf111
Feb. 27, 2012, 11:39 PM
Glad it didn't take long for someone to point that out.

Well aware, but more than a few people use the "K" to indicate the foal is a Popeye K and I don't really see any reason why not to since it's commonly done, clearly designates the lineage not the breeder when used in the US, and doesn't seem to be hurting anyone. In theory anyway, since I don't actually HAVE one to name ;)

Prime Time Rider
Feb. 27, 2012, 11:45 PM
Well aware, but more than a few people use the "K" to indicate the foal is a Popeye K and I don't really see any reason why not to since it's commonly done, clearly designates the lineage not the breeder when used in the US, and doesn't seem to be hurting anyone. In theory anyway, since I don't actually HAVE one to name ;)

I agree, especially since there is a warmblood pony stallion by the name of "Popeye". I know many breedres who have used the "K" as part of their foal's name to indicate that it is a Popeye K foal.

Prime Time Rider
Feb. 27, 2012, 11:46 PM
I love the names Pop Quiz and Pop the Cork, unfortunately, they are already taken. "Special K" is a well known hunter, not by Popeye K to my knowledge.

Mukluk
Feb. 28, 2012, 01:55 AM
Spinach!!!

Hop on Pop!!! (ala Dr. Seuss)

ohrebecca
Feb. 28, 2012, 02:02 AM
J. Wellington Wimpy

Hands Down
Feb. 28, 2012, 06:22 AM
I named one "Pop Kulture" Used the K for Culture

Tapperjockey
Feb. 28, 2012, 07:03 AM

Doesn't hurt anyone. Kinda false advertising though, since using a breeder's suffix or prefix implies the foal was bred by them. If you need to use their suffix to promote the results of your breeding program.. you should probably re-evaluate your breeding program

shrpshooter
Feb. 28, 2012, 08:52 AM
Sweet Haven-- the town in the Popeye movie.

Summit Springs Farm
Feb. 28, 2012, 09:41 AM
We named ours D'Lovely, since she is registered kwpm, the name had to begin with the letter d.

vxf111
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:08 AM
Doesn't hurt anyone. Kinda false advertising though, since using a breeder's suffix or prefix implies the foal was bred by them. If you need to use their suffix to promote the results of your breeding program.. you should probably re-evaluate your breeding program

I would agree in general except it's done SO PREDOMINANTLY with Popeye K offspring that I think very few people associate the "K" with the breeder and instead with this specific stallion. In the hunter world, it's just become so pervasive that the "K" means "Popeye K" that I no longer think it's trading off the name of the breeder anymore because that's not the association people make when they see the "K."

Tapperjockey
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:18 AM
I would agree in general except it's done SO PREDOMINANTLY with Popeye K offspring that I think very few people associate the "K" with the breeder and instead with this specific stallion. In the hunter world, it's just become so pervasive that the "K" means "Popeye K" that I no longer think it's trading off the name of the breeder anymore because that's not the association people make when they see the "K."

Kind of sad that so many people felt the need to piggy back off a well known breeder instead of using their own farm prefix or suffix though isn't it?

overthemoon
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:24 AM
Just because something is used rpedominantly doesn't mean it's proper. To me, it takes away from the real use of "K" at the end of a name. (And to someone who says Spencer Farms was encouraging it - of course they would, because it's false advertising for their stallion. Whether the breeder would be okay with it is a whole other story.)

I've heard plenty of Popeye K offspring with a name ended in K, and all it does it make me shake my head. I'm not really thinking about what a cute/great play on words name it is because I'm too busy cringing at what, to me, is a lack of respect towards the breeder.

overthemoon
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:27 AM

This, specifically, it terribly inconsiderate for the breeder. What, so now all of the horses he breeds will be thought of as a Popeye K offspring? Just because Popeye was originally over bred and every person and their dog got a Popeye baby, ignorantly naming the foals with a "K"?

You've said it yourself. People's lack of awareness or unwillingness to proceed respectfully has all but ruined the breeder's trademark.

LoveJubal
Feb. 28, 2012, 01:49 PM
How About...

Son of a Sailor?

Popeye's Prodigy?

Pop Secret?

Pop the Question?

Or, "The most gorgeous and talented horse you've ever owned in your life"? That one may be too long and a little over the top, but that stallion does have some niiiice looking babies :lol:

vxf111
Feb. 28, 2012, 02:06 PM
If you don't want to use the K, don't. But don't be surprised when (lots) of people who want to clearly identify the offspring as being a Popeye K do.

The breeder is not American. The breeder is not known as well generally as the stallion individually is. People really like the stallion and identify the "K" with him more than they identify the "K" with Peter Karneef. It's just how it is.

No dog in the fight. I don't have one nor see myself breeding one.

Personal Champ
Feb. 28, 2012, 03:38 PM
Pop Tart.

Now I'm hungry...

mostlynothing
Feb. 28, 2012, 07:49 PM
Too bad the use of the K offends some. I have two and one has what I thought was an interesting twist on the use of the K and the other does not use the K in his name. I give my horses names that I like but regardless of what we ever name a horse some with think its a dumb name. I please myself and am way beyond needing approval.

Tapperjockey
Feb. 28, 2012, 07:56 PM
This, specifically, it terribly inconsiderate for the breeder. What, so now all of the horses he breeds will be thought of as a Popeye K offspring? Just because Popeye was originally over bred and every person and their dog got a Popeye baby, ignorantly naming the foals with a "K"?

You've said it yourself. People's lack of awareness or unwillingness to proceed respectfully has all but ruined the breeder's trademark.

Not to mention that people are going to think he's bred some that may not be up to his standards.

overthemoon
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:18 PM
I please myself and am way beyond needing approval.

Personally, I don't see it as needing approval. I see it as being respectful to the original breeder. To each his own, I suppose.

Lord Helpus
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:45 PM
I constantly am feeling like I am screaming into the wind when my argument begins and ends with: "Because that is the way it is done and people understand there is a meaning behind the way horses are named. BECAUSE IT IS TRADITIONAL."

<<head on desk>>

Why do people not have respect for tradition? Of course anyone can name a horse anything they want to. You can name a horse Fooking Asshat. That is the owner's right. But it is our right to think that someone who would do that is a tacky POS.

Not saying that someone who uses the letter K after a name is a tacky POS, but at the very least, they are showing their "newbie-ness" and lack of respect.

For the person who said that she does not need peoples' approval, that's good. Because she will not get that approval from people who have been in the horse world for decades.

Show of hands: How many people who see nothing wrong with using the K at the end of the name of a Popeye have been in the horse world for less than 10 years?

How many people who think it is improper to use the K have been in the horse world for more than 10 years?

I am in the second group: 50 years in horses and no way would I use the letter K at the end of my horse's name. In fact, that is why his name ends in "C": he was bred by Carleton WB's.

Whew! Now I feel better.

Why not name a Popeye K baby "Eugene The Jeep"? That is the name of Popeye's pet.

mostlynothing
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:49 PM
Over The Moon my name choice was never meant to be disrespectful and the issue was discussed with the breeder/ manager of the stallion at that time. Now the stallion is an American citizen and what the current stallion owner wishes ought to prevail. I appreciate everyone is entitled to their own opinion but to say my choice is disrespectful when you do not know the circumstances is making assumptions. The principle/point being made is technically correct but it does not accomadate for other contracts and agreements that have been arranged that outside people know nothing about. One should also perhaps consider that they may in fact be throwing rocks close to home when they make statements about what makes them cringe in terms of a name.

overthemoon
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:13 PM
Like I said, to each his own. I don't like it, and find it to be a bit disrepectful. There are obviously plenty of people who don't feel the same way. C'est la vie.

(I also don't think I'm throwing rocks by saying I don't like Popeye offspring ending in K when there are Popeyes showing on my local circuit. There are Popeyes everywhere, doesn't change how I feel about the enigmatic K.)

mostlynothing
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:21 PM
Mine show on your circuit and I am not generally disrespectful to anyone.

overthemoon
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:31 PM
Mine show on your circuit and I am not generally disrespectful to anyone.

Yes, I realized that after you called me by name in your post. There are also quite a few others who have showed on "my" circuit, past, present, and I'm sure future. The fact that I don't like the name doesn't mean I have anything against the horse, the owner, or the rider... I just plain don't like the name. IME, the K is often used in ignorance. You say you had prior agreements in regards to the name, and so be it, but that's not usually the case.

Furthermore, since you are not seeking approval (as you stated), why do you care if someone on your circuit doesn't like your horses' names?

To be very clear, I personally do not like the use of "K" at the end of the Popeye K's offspring. I do think it is disrespectful to Peter Karneef, but I am not blind to the fact that it's the "cultural norm" now. I'm making no judgements on a case by case basis. Just - in general, I don't like it.

Janeway
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:43 PM
To be fair, how many of the people riding the Popeye K offspring that have been erroniously named with a "K" actually know or care about the breeding of their horse? Many hunter/jumper folks would know Popeye K himself because he showed at the top, and would recognize his name as sire, but I'm afraid that is about as far it it goes for most people.

While I agree that in the breeding world the K should not be used, in hunter/jumper land (where former European 1.40m jumpers become 1st Year Green Hunters) I doubt many really care. Sad but true. :no:

HobbyHorse101
Feb. 29, 2012, 01:49 AM
Popcorn

Fastjofast
Feb. 29, 2012, 02:25 PM
Here's the link to Popeye's breeder's website (very out of date).

http://www.warmblood.com/2007.html

As you can see, all of the offspring end with K, even if they are not by Popeye. Therefore, having a K after the name doesn't necessarily mean that the horse is by Popeye K.

Fastjofast
Feb. 29, 2012, 02:29 PM
Here's a more recent listing/website if anyone is interested:

http://www.horseworld.ca/2011-sales/collection_template.shtml

overthemoon
Feb. 29, 2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks Fastjofast. I tihnk that's exactly what myself and others are trying to point out. The K is not meant to be about Popeye, regardless of its popular misuse.

genevieveg17
Feb. 29, 2012, 07:29 PM
I love the names Pop Quiz and Pop the Cork, unfortunately, they are already taken. "Special K" is a well known hunter, not by Popeye K to my knowledge.

I bred a Pop the Cork, Pop Quiz and Pop Secret. The other 4 Popeye foals I had just had P names. I ran out of Pops. A friend wanted to name one Snap Crackle Pop. Not quite ready to go there yet! I do not use the K.

blueskye
Feb. 29, 2012, 08:57 PM
Okay Doh-K

PhoenixFarm
Feb. 29, 2012, 09:11 PM
I know of at least three Popeye K babies named Pop The Cork--the one genevive bred, one who lives at my farm (barn name, "Bob" :winkgrin:), and one I saw showing in the east.

So I'd avoid that name, LOL.

KFCKZiggy
Aug. 4, 2012, 06:10 AM
We had two Popeye K babies- one was sold as a weanling. The colt was named D Romeo K. The filly (who we still have) is Deja K. She looks exactly like mom, and a bit like dad.

Spooks
Aug. 4, 2012, 08:52 AM
There's one in my barn named Pop Kulture.

BaysofourLives
Aug. 4, 2012, 02:44 PM
My mare's name was Popularity...loved the play off Popeye K.

I also do not think it is right to use the K at the end, more so b/c it's tacky. I do however like when 'k' is used IN the name (in the middle) to replace a c or something similar.

Jumpthemoon16
Aug. 4, 2012, 07:18 PM
Pop Goes The Weasel
Hop On Pop

lauriep
Aug. 4, 2012, 09:49 PM
Just to be clear, Spencer Ranch doesn't encourage the use of the K. She doesn't even use P, Pop, or anything else. The two we had/have bred by Spencer Ranch are Epiphany and Emmerson. So it isn't coming from there!

Chef Jade
Aug. 4, 2012, 10:56 PM
I named mine Popular J, the J paying respect to his fabulous dam , Jade.

Though most people can tell he is a Popeye baby before they hear his name. I had two people peg him accurately at our show today. Lots and lots of chrome!

If he ended up being a filly I was going to name him Popular Girl.

RugBug
Aug. 4, 2012, 11:55 PM
Such a fuss over one little letter. :eek:

I constantly am feeling like I am screaming into the wind when my argument begins and ends with: "Because that is the way it is done and people understand there is a meaning behind the way horses are named. BECAUSE IT IS TRADITIONAL."

<<head on desk>>

Why do people not have respect for tradition? Of course anyone can name a horse anything they want to. You can name a horse Fooking Asshat. That is the owner's right. But it is our right to think that someone who would do that is a tacky POS.

Not saying that someone who uses the letter K after a name is a tacky POS, but at the very least, they are showing their "newbie-ness" and lack of respect.

For the person who said that she does not need peoples' approval, that's good. Because she will not get that approval from people who have been in the horse world for decades.

Show of hands: How many people who see nothing wrong with using the K at the end of the name of a Popeye have been in the horse world for less than 10 years?

How many people who think it is improper to use the K have been in the horse world for more than 10 years?

I am in the second group: 50 years in horses and no way would I use the letter K at the end of my horse's name. In fact, that is why his name ends in "C": he was bred by Carleton WB's.

Whew! Now I feel better.

While I'm glad you feel better, I don't remember breeding prefixes/suffixes being a big deal in the hunter ring 30 years go. I can't recall any off the top of my head. In fact, it seems to only have become a big thing with the advent of the warmblood. The first suffix I can recall seeing on a regular basis was -Z.

Those darn TBs got new names when they come off the track and no one seemed to mind at all.

Personally, I don't really like breeder prefixes or suffixes. They tend to disrupt the name (although I do like how you incorporated both the nautical theme and the C in your horse's name) and just add a mouthful. If a horse is nice enough, someone is going to ask the breeding...breeder gets their recognition then, not with silly letters at the end of a (hopefully) otherwise good name.

AllEars
Aug. 5, 2012, 01:30 PM
I was thinking about this too. Someone recommended Popeye for my Alla' Czar daughter. Haven't really looked into it much but if it seems like a good match we might go for it.

Somehow I think the naming process would be fun for that cross. Alla'board perhaps? (sailor theme?) lol.

To the MAX
Aug. 5, 2012, 02:25 PM
I was thinking about this too. Someone recommended Popeye for my Alla' Czar daughter. Haven't really looked into it much but if it seems like a good match we might go for it.

Somehow I think the naming process would be fun for that cross. Alla'board perhaps? (sailor theme?) lol.

You need to use that name! :lol:

rabicon
Aug. 5, 2012, 03:29 PM
Pop tart
Sweet pea
Comic books popeye has nephews named peepeye and pupeye
Spinach driven
Gladly pay you Tuesday
Pop a lock
Pop luck
Pop music
Soda pop
Pop rocks

vxf111
Aug. 5, 2012, 03:31 PM

Very cute! I'd do All'aboard (or All'a'board) to make the pronunciation clearer.