PDA

View Full Version : Hind boots in the jumper ring.

tidy rabbit
Feb. 27, 2012, 01:00 PM
I'm looking at the rules for the young jumpers and see that there is a restriction on hind boots.

"2. Boots: Non-weighted non-performance enhancing hind ankle boots are permitted in classes
restricted to Five, Six, Seven, or Eight year-olds. Support wraps are permitted. If boots are made of
rigid leather or plastic, they may only be a maximum of 6 inches/15 cm in height (excluding fleece
and other protective padding). The total maximum weight of equipment allowed to be added to
a horse’s leg, front or hind (single or multiple boots, fetlock rings etc), is 350g (shoe excluded)."

Is there a similar restriction on open jumpers? I just bought a pair of Dalmar hind boots (which are considerably taller than 6 inches) for another horse to protect the front of his fetlocks. I looked through the rules and don't see any other restriction outside of the YJC rules. Did I miss it?

Equilibrium
Feb. 27, 2012, 01:12 PM
I think you're ok in open jumpers as long as they're not weighted.

We have similar restrictions on young jumpers here. At first they tried doing away with them completely. Then they had stricter restrictions than what you have written here. If you wanted boots on hind legs you could use SJI approved ones on sight or get the exact ones. I didn't pay attention enough to check them out as I wasn't doing age classes and normal ones were fine.

I know I'm in a different country but your young horse rules seem similar so I would assume they'd be relatively the same for the open.

Terri

MHM
Feb. 27, 2012, 01:13 PM
Interesting. How much is 350g in ounces or pounds?

PNWjumper
Feb. 27, 2012, 01:55 PM
350g = .77lb or 12.4oz

I believe the only restrictions are in the YJC.

(ETA - only restriction in regards to size, that is)