PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite half pad?

GreySwan
Feb. 27, 2012, 12:25 PM
What's your favorite half pad and why?

I've had in the past: a Fleeceworks, Christ, and Thinline but sold them all and am in the market for an update!

cswoodlandfairy
Feb. 27, 2012, 12:26 PM
Love my Mattes!

KateKat
Feb. 27, 2012, 12:33 PM
Which Thinline did you have? I have the sheepskin one and like it a lot. I can definitely tell a difference when I'm not using it.

I have however been itching to try the Ecogold one with the three different foams.

What are you needing a half pad for though, saddle fit?

Crazy-Pony
Feb. 27, 2012, 12:38 PM
If you are looking for something a little less expensive, I personally love Exselle Half Pads (http://www.statelinetack.com/item/exselle-half-pad/SLT901314/). For $30, they are great for everyday use, when you want to just add some extra padding to your saddle. Be forewarned, though, they are small (21in x 20 1/2in long).

GreySwan
Feb. 27, 2012, 12:41 PM
Which Thinline did you have? I have the sheepskin one and like it a lot. I can definitely tell a difference when I'm not using it.

I have however been itching to try the Ecogold one with the three different foams.

What are you needing a half pad for though, saddle fit?

I had the cotton tri-fecta with sheepskin rolls. I had all of these pads over the course of five years, used on different horses, then sold so they weren't sitting in my tack trunk taking up space.

As for the need now, not so much saddle fit. Although it is just ever so slightly a hair too wide. I guess I've just always ridden in one so it feel weird not to!

norcalammie
Feb. 27, 2012, 12:50 PM
Love my mattes pads.

KateKat
Feb. 27, 2012, 01:30 PM
Ah, ok. If you're looking for a half pad, no correction (and I'm assuming sheepskin here), definitely check out Engel pads. They're the ones who provide the sheepskin for the Thinline Sheepskin pad and I've been very impressed with the quality. You can find the sheepskin only pads for around $120 I believe.

DressageOverFences
Feb. 27, 2012, 01:38 PM
I have a mattes and love it. I also have a saddle rite and beval therapeutic which have served well even if im not currently using them.

ifiwereyou
Feb. 27, 2012, 02:52 PM
Ogilvy half pads are incredible! You can get them in whatever colour you like, piping and embroidery. I have found they have helped both my and the horses' backs. They have a removable cover that you can wash.

http://www.ogilvyequestrian.com/

meupatdoes
Feb. 27, 2012, 02:55 PM
I have the saddle fitters Pro Lite pad.
It is shimmable in both the front and back and the shockabsorbency is excellent.

It also comes without shims, or shimmable in the middle for a saddle that bridges.

karlymacrae
Feb. 27, 2012, 03:01 PM
Cottage Craft or Fleeceworks. Mattes are way too much bulk for me.

indygirl2560
Feb. 27, 2012, 03:21 PM
Another vote for mattes! I bought one for my old horse, but since my saddle fits my new horse really well, I only use it when riding other people's horses. I've had fleeceworks in the past that I liked, but my mattes pad seems a bit more sturdy, material-wise. If you want something cheaper but still nice, check out the Dover circuit half pads. They're only $80 and the one I had lasted a long time and was really soft too.

Electrikk
Mar. 9, 2012, 11:51 AM
I really like my L'Apogee. So does my horse :)

Small Change
Mar. 9, 2012, 12:08 PM
I bought myself an Ecogold triple protection half pad and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I borrowed an Ogilvy before I bought the pad, and was impressed by it to, but really am happy that I decided on the Ecogold for myself. Both my horses are going better under this pad, despite the fact that their saddles truly fit well even without the pad. Both mares are softer and "swingier" through their backs on the flat and jumping fantastically! I notice the difference the most on those cold, raw days that I'm sure have their backs a bit tighter than usual - even on rotten days, my horses are happy!

Incredible customer service from Ecogold too! I called and emailed a few times while dithering over which pad I wanted, and John could not have been more pleasant, patient or helpful.

Editing to add that I also have a Mattes sheepskin halfpad (no shims), and rode both the mares in this before I bought the Ecogold pad. Although the Mattes pad is lovely, and I do think it offers some "coosh" for their backs, the difference with the Ecogold pad is truly noticeable.

FineAlready
Mar. 9, 2012, 01:20 PM
I really like this one for if you are not trying to change saddle fit:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/equine-comfort-products-air-ride-half-pad-8338p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

I have a shimmable Mattes pad too, but it has made my horse sore every time I have used it, regardless of which saddle I am using. He absolutely hates the Mattes. It seems to create pressure points for him just above his shoulder (even with no shims).

The pad I linked above is really, really, really thin. I was surprised at how thin it was at first, but it does provide a bit of impact cushioning and my horse loves it.

AmmyByNature
Mar. 9, 2012, 01:21 PM
Mattes. As far as I know (please someone correct me if I am wrong) it is the only half pad with an open-channel design.

HorseLuvr
Mar. 9, 2012, 01:24 PM
Fleeceworks all the way!

ParadoxFarm
Mar. 9, 2012, 04:25 PM
I just "scored" a Mattes new (or used once) half pad at a consignment sale for $20. I was a happy shopper. I love it. Great quality.

kashmere
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:21 PM
My Thinline saddle-fitter pad with the sheepskin is 5 years old now, and still looks brand new. I love being able to make minor fit adjustments without changing pads -- just opening up the velcro and switching the shims around. Holds up well, helps my horse's back.

Roxx
Mar. 10, 2012, 07:40 AM
If you are looking for something a little less expensive, I personally love Exselle Half Pads (http://www.statelinetack.com/item/exselle-half-pad/SLT901314/). For $30, they are great for everyday use, when you want to just add some extra padding to your saddle. Be forewarned, though, they are small (21in x 20 1/2in long).

I too was/am on the hunt for a new half pad to fit my new saddle. I had a fleeceworks and a mattes previously and really loved my mattes (never moved and always looked great). Anyway I purchased an Exselle half pad and for the price it was an amazing fit and I really liked it but I wanted something more cushiony so I purchased an Ogilvy half pad and used it for about 2 weeks in where my mare decided she HATED it :( My saddle is fit to her perfectly and I guess the ogilvy was just too much bulk. So the Ogivly pad is now for sale and I'll be going to buy a new excelle half pad because I sold my original one :o

Skip's Rider
Mar. 10, 2012, 08:16 AM
Love my Mattes pads. I have two and rotate them. It is a steep investment initially, but mine have lasted 6 years and are still in fine shape.

sophie
Mar. 10, 2012, 09:02 AM
I use my half pads directly against my horse's back.
I have a Fleeceworks 1/2 back pad but it's a bit small to use on its own.

I have a "regular" no-frills Mattes sheepskin half pad that I bought years and years ago and it is still in great shape. Much better quality / loft than the Fleeceworks. I rarely wash it, just give it a good brushing when it's dry. My jumping saddle is a bit bigger than my dressage one tho, and I needed a longer pad for it.

Since most of the sheepskin pads are now way overpriced IMO including the Mattes, I went on eBay and found a genuine, sheepskin 1/2 pad for half the price of a similar Mattes. I've been using it for a few months and it's great as well.

My mare loves the sheepskin pads. She goes much better in them than in regular pads.