PDA

View Full Version : HELP! looking for pony last known name was 'My Sweet Irish Rose'

silanac
Feb. 27, 2012, 09:19 AM
In the northern Va area...

we bought a large pony mare as a 2 yr old, at the time her name was 'made to serenade'. She is 14.1 and change- bay with 2 hind socks and a blaze, by Pengwyn out of a Tb mare, and was the top 2 yr old filly in VPBA on the line. We trained her up and sold her nearly 3 years ago to the O'Connell family who at the time trained with Mike Bertozzi, who changed her name to 'My Sweet Irish Rose.' I think she switched trainers after about a year, but do not know where she went. She did stay in the area (Middleburg/leesburg/warrenton). At the time she was being shown in the large children's ponies. She was eligible green but do not know if she ever went into the division.

my trainer believes she has since been sold, but we do not know to who.

does this ring a bell with anyone? we really want to locate this pony and potentially buy her back. she was very special to us and would like to retain her for breeding.

anyone who might know anything as to her whereabouts please please please help! TIA

blackcat95
Feb. 27, 2012, 09:57 AM
I'd check the USEF website and the local VHSA circuit point standings and registered horse lists, as well as the MHSA and CPJHSA lists. I showed the local circuit in that area last year, and the name rings a bell, but I don't remember who the trainer was. Good luck though!

silanac
Feb. 27, 2012, 10:01 AM
thank you. yeah i checked the USEF show results and VHSA. but the trail stops after 1 show in the 2011 season. USEF still lists O'Connell as owner, but we know they do not have her :/

Mayaty02
Feb. 27, 2012, 10:31 AM
I see a "Skye Silansky" as being it's current owner in VHSA.

silanac
Feb. 27, 2012, 11:19 AM
that is my sister. the O'Connell's never transferred ownership i suppose :/

Mayaty02
Feb. 27, 2012, 11:27 AM
LOL I wondered when I saw your username... doens't look that way. Do you know when it most recently showed?

silanac
Feb. 27, 2012, 11:46 AM
According to USEF, she was shown as My Sweet Irish Rose in September of 2010 with Maggie O'Connell as owner/rider. That is the last recorded show.

Sugarbrook
Feb. 27, 2012, 02:04 PM
Do you have a picture of her?

silanac
Feb. 27, 2012, 03:36 PM
how do i attach photos? argh!

kmwines01
Feb. 27, 2012, 03:45 PM
Is it possible for you to contact the people you sold her to and ask them where the pony is or who they sold it to?

silanac
Feb. 27, 2012, 03:50 PM
We have tried to contact their old trainer for any leads, but it sounds like it was a sour parting and cannot get their contact info.

auhunter
Feb. 27, 2012, 04:06 PM
There is another name listed on USEF... Rainchant. It was listed at the bottom of her USEF listing.

I found out more on allbreedpedigree

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/index.php?query_type=horse&h=RAINCHANT&g=5&cellpadding=0&small_font=1&l=

Maybe that will help... Good luck!!

silanac
Feb. 27, 2012, 04:08 PM
well it says i cannot post an attachment so the best i can do is make public this facebook link...let me know if this works.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100644329056271.2682595.7000771&type=3

Dewey
Feb. 27, 2012, 04:08 PM
You can't attach photos unless you're a premium member, but you can link to a site like photobucket. If you link to Facebook, make sure it's public, so everyone can see it.

Dewey
Feb. 27, 2012, 04:09 PM
No, the link doesn't work for me.

silanac
Feb. 27, 2012, 04:12 PM
AUhunter,

yes, she was shown as a yearling as Rain Chant, and was sold to the woman we bought her from who changed her name to Made To Serenade. We kept that as her name, and then the people we sold her to changed her name yet again.

All this name changing is driving me nuts!

silanac
Feb. 27, 2012, 04:20 PM
This might work?!?

http://pix.kg/p/208587784409%3A312918753/scl

Kestrel
Feb. 27, 2012, 04:39 PM
Very cute!

gmccormick
Feb. 27, 2012, 07:38 PM
we had her last year. she showed locally in the childrens ponies and is still eligible green. she left to be sold a few months ago, not sure who has her now but i can find out. We called her Tulip and showed her under the name Irish Rose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgYJojduzaE&feature=plcp&context=C3464bceUDOEgsToPDskKdrBHeKPR-5BOwqfz3ezlr

silanac
Feb. 27, 2012, 09:36 PM
gmccormick

i am PMing you right now!

Long Spot
Feb. 27, 2012, 10:05 PM
Horray! The power of COTH.

She's precious, by the way.

silanac
Feb. 28, 2012, 07:52 AM
thanks long spot! gmccormick has definitely opened a door. hopefully we can find her :)

silanac
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:32 AM
many thanks to all who helped in the last 24 hours...

i received a PM from someone who donated her to a school in Maryland. I am now working on finding the contact info for that school and the riding instructors. My parents are on board to buy her back now!

No details on why she was donated. I cannot imagine what happened. gmmcormick are you surprised? i know you said she was so good for that little girl in the video.

I am very sad that she was donated. I always thought she was a special pony. not the most athletic but had potential to be a nice pony hunter...now she will be my second broodmare instead.

thanks again to everyone who has helped!! hopefully this will end happily for us.

MommaMare
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:47 AM
Best of luck and give an update!

Trixie
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:54 AM
What school?

Lets please not pretend that "donated to a school in Maryland" is such an awful fate - I went to a school in Maryland that had horses and they were quite well cared for, some of the horses were very nice as well. I wouldn't hesitate to send a horse to the trainer at that school tomorrow, FWIW.

Instant Karma
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:00 AM
Agreed... try not to worry that there was a negative reason for sending her to the school. With the market so slow, some people opted to take their tax write off's rather than waiting to sell and continuing to pay bills on an animal they couldn't use anymore (kids outgrew, moving up divisions, lost interest, whatever!). I know some schools aren't the greatest, but from what I understand, there are some amazing colleges out there that take excellent care of their horses.

Best of luck in getting her back:D

silanac
Feb. 28, 2012, 02:57 PM
I know there are schools that take good care. I rode NCAA in college, though, and have seen both sides of this...good and bad. Also, most schools are not one for maintenance animals. She had iffy feet that required supplements to encourage thicker wall growth, and was at her best on body builder and legend at shows. Im mostly worried for her feet, they got tender easily and once we figured out a routine that worked for her she never took an off step. but in my experience, most schools do not work out supplement regimens or take the time to work out those details.

It is also troubling for me to think that, this pony who had so much potential, was donated. She never was ill, she did not have a lingering injury, she had a sweet disposition and a great work ethic. Her breeding is impeccable-she won everything on the line. She was a good pony hunter prospect, and as the one who spent countless hours bringing out the best in her abilities it is very disheartening to see her donated to a school and not living up to her potential in my eyes. To me, donating an animal is a last resort-the horse my college team had were mostly trainers problems. bad habits -rearing, etc. Some could not even jump. very few had lead changes. basically the ones that could not be sold got donated.

this is why i am sad about it

Trixie
Feb. 28, 2012, 03:20 PM
If you want total control over an animal's career (or their feet), don't sell the animal.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sympathetic to wanting an old pony back - I've got two that I'd buy in a heartbeat, but I never owned either (one I leased as a kid, one I was only privileged to ride).

That said, my experience is the opposite of yours - I had a trainer in school that took impeccable care of the animals entrusted to her. I suppose that's why I take some amount of offense to your statements about schools taking subpar care of their animals. We also had at least one A-quality animal donated to the school in the time I was there (it was a very well known children's hunter who was stepping down) and on no level would that horse have been donated if there were any concern - and trust me, he wasn't dumped (he was still quite marketable as a 2'6" horse). His owners were also there regularly to see him.

I just don't see it as being any different than any other barn that has school horses and gives lessons. Especially in Maryland, where most of the programs have good reputations (and students who compete at big shows). Some will be better than others, YMMV.

If you want to buy the pony back, I would suggest you be careful about not badmouthing their program - or suggesting that there is anything wrong with the pony's current life.

silanac
Feb. 28, 2012, 03:41 PM
I am not bad mouthing any program. re-read what i wrote. i explained my experience, hence my concern. i didnt even name the program it seems she is affiliated with. I also wrote that i have seen BOTH sides. my opinion does not change. in all my experience, it is a last resort because the animal could not be sold. end of story. that does not badmouth anyone or any program. am i missing something?

and where i am from, when we sell an animal with the feet issue, we disclose up front and ensure that the new owners understand and continue with that program.

Trixie
Feb. 28, 2012, 05:00 PM
and where i am from, when we sell an animal with the feet issue, we disclose up front and ensure that the new owners understand and continue with that program.

Are you sure that they didn't? Given that you said that you received a PM from the person that donated her but "no details on why she was donated" - I'm a bit curious as to why you're so strongly insinuating that this person donated her into a bad situation as a "last resort."

That said - publicly proclaiming how "sad" you are that the pony was donated to a school could easily be seen as badmouthing the situation. Especially when you're also talking about the general quality of animals that YOU feel schools receive and speculating that it's a "last resort" to send an animal there, plus the commentary about the care you feel that the horses at schools receive and how obviously the pony didn't get to live up to her "potential." Oh, and how it's "troubling."

Personally, I don't see it that way - especially in this economy, where the the tax appraisal/deduction may make more sense than waiting for the horse to sell. It's hardly as if they sent the horse to New Holland.

All of this in a spot where you know the pony's previous owner will see it.

Kryswyn
Feb. 28, 2012, 05:09 PM
There are good college riding programs, and there are some not so good. There have been threads here where names have been named.

My alma mater has a very good rep. But AFAIK they can still sell an animal that doesn't work out in the program. Another school at the time I was in college, had no problem taking in whatever was donated and selling them for very little to a dealer very quickly.

Donating a horse to a school program, if the program is good, is obviously MUCH better than going to New Holland or some other auction. But donating is still, in my mind, not really an option for a horse I think I can sell.

GotMyPony
Feb. 28, 2012, 05:16 PM
I hope OP will keep us informed on how this turns out... very cute pony, I hope you get her back. Good luck.

Crazy-Pony
Feb. 28, 2012, 08:12 PM
Wait, so this pony went from Rainchant to Made to Serenade to My Sweet Irish Rose to Irish Rose? Oy, vey!

Sadly, I have no info on her. OP, will keep us informed on how this turns out, though? She's quite the cutie!

HorseLuvr
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:58 PM
It is not always a bad thing for a pony to be donated to a school, I mean, hell it could be a lot worse, at least it is not an auction/feedlot.

A multitude of things could have gone wrong during the time in which you did not own her, she could be serviceably sound now and donated for that reason or just never lived up to what the owner wanted/didn't work out for the kid. Just because a pony wins "everything on the line" does not declare an automatic destiny to win everything over fences. I have see lots of physically beautiful ponies never amount to much over fences.

For whatever its worth, I do hope you find her and are able to buy her back.

magicteetango
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:14 PM
That owner did not need to PM you, but she did. Without her you may never have found your pony. Be grateful, you found her and she is safe. Best of luck in getting her back and ensuring she fulfills her potential.

kmwines01
Feb. 29, 2012, 01:33 AM
Best of luck finding your pony and getting some cute babies :)

Ive seen both sides of the 'donation' scheme. Lots of people tried to donate horses to our IHSA team/college solely because they couldn't sell them, they weren't sound or sane. And have seen horses donated to a private boarding highschool when they were "retired". Owner went to that highschool and trained with the still current trainer so when she went away to college the family donated the horses she'd ridden as a junior. Many were older but still very nice horses. And to be donated to that highschool program probably would've been a step up for many horses in terms of facility and care! So it definitely can go either way and is definitely unique circumstances each time.

blackcat95
Feb. 29, 2012, 11:17 AM
School doesn't necessarily mean college... She may have been donated to a high school like McDonogh, which has an excellent program with many fancy ponies who show A circuit shows. It might be worth inquiring there. Good luck!

silanac
Feb. 29, 2012, 11:34 AM
did not mean to bad mouth the donating program, was not my intent and apologies to all who interpreted my remarks as such. all i meant was that as a personal project and one that meant so much to my family, it makes me sad to see that she was donated rather than in a top A show program as i always dreamed she would/could be. of course i know that very often the donated horses are well cared for, but it also leaves the door open that she sustained an injury or something along that line that left the owner with no option other than to donate. which does make me sad for her.

further, we had an agreement with they buyers that if/when they went to sell her, they would contact us and we would have first right of refusal to buy her back at their asking price. obviously that never happened. so yet another reason why i am disappointed to see that she has been run through a string of owners, name changes, and is now in a school riding program.

unfortunately, i cannot get any email responses from the school's riding program director, and cannot get anyone to answer a phone :( i am thinking about driving up this weekend to see for myself. will offer cash on hand for her.

i will definitely keep all of you updated. and thanks again for everyone's help

Jsalem
Feb. 29, 2012, 11:40 AM
I understand what you're saying. It's not that the schools don't care for their animals. And it's not that the riders don't love the horses that they get to ride. But it hurts me to think that that "final owner" felt compelled to squeeze that last dollar out the horse- as though the horse must "pay back" the owner. And it hurts me to see the horse passed around the students and not have that special someone to bond with.

I always say, "Every horse must have a 'last' owner". God bless the owners that are willing to retire a horse. It's an expensive and heart wrenching commitment.

Trixie
Feb. 29, 2012, 11:51 AM
It's not that the schools don't care for their animals. And it's not that the riders don't love the horses that they get to ride. But it hurts me to think that that "final owner" felt compelled to squeeze that last dollar out the horse- as though the horse must "pay back" the owner. And it hurts me to see the horse passed around the students and not have that special someone to bond with.

Don't you have school horses?

further, we had an agreement with they buyers that if/when they went to sell her, they would contact us and we would have first right of refusal to buy her back at their asking price. obviously that never happened. so yet another reason why i am disappointed to see that she has been run through a string of owners, name changes, and is now in a school riding program.

If they broke their contract, I would be angry too - that's what contracts are for, and they may well be enforceable under the law. I would give the administrators of the riding program a little time to get back to you, though - and they may not be around much on the weekend, as an aside.

auhunter
Feb. 29, 2012, 12:18 PM
Jsalem does have school horses...but they all have owners that have other horses in her program OR are allowing the horses to be used for lessons. For the school horses that she has owned privately in the past, once they have let her know that they have given all they are able, she has moved them to her private home and each has lived out their days. She has held each of the heads to the last moment and let them know that they were loved and appreciated. She is a rare gem in this business. I cannot wait to have the privilege of having horses in her care again. Just need to win the lottery ;)

Good luck OP - hope you get your baby back!

silanac
Feb. 29, 2012, 12:30 PM
thanks AU. and War Eagle!

Trixie
Feb. 29, 2012, 12:37 PM
Um? We are talking about a pony foaled in 2002.

That's hardly ancient, so it seems like jumping to conclusions to say that the pony must have needed to be retired. It's possible that the owner's financial situation changed and they needed to place the pony quickly, so they went with a school program.

There are many owners of schoolies that are incredibly responsible for their animals. I'm afraid I have a hard time being sad about cared-for animals not "bonding" with one special person. Maybe it's me, but that sounds kind of strange coming from someone that runs a lesson program.

OnTheRun
Apr. 2, 2012, 02:34 PM
Such a great beginning to the OP - excited to hear you have a lead, but sorry to hear the thread became so negative and accusatory. Good luck!

Infinite
Apr. 2, 2012, 02:55 PM
Um? We are talking about a pony foaled in 2002.

That's hardly ancient, so it seems like jumping to conclusions to say that the pony must have needed to be retired. It's possible that the owner's financial situation changed and they needed to place the pony quickly, so they went with a school program.

There are many owners of schoolies that are incredibly responsible for their animals. I'm afraid I have a hard time being sad about cared-for animals not "bonding" with one special person. Maybe it's me, but that sounds kind of strange coming from someone that runs a lesson program.

For something that started out with just a basic question by the OP looking for a pony that meant a lot to her and her family, you sure have turned this whole thing quite negative. Frankly Trixie, you don't sound like the kind of person I'd want to be responsible for a horse I really cared about. Sure there are plenty of schoolies who are well cared for, but if you don't think horses are better off in a situation where they can bond with their owner -- whether as a working horse or retiree -- then I am actually quite surprised you spend time on COTH. Best of luck to the OP -- I hope she gets the pony. I just went through something very similar and it was a very happy day when my pony arrived home. I hope for her sake the other posters will refrain from twisting her words and just offer her some help if at all possible -- kudos to those who already did!

DreamBignRide
Apr. 2, 2012, 02:59 PM
I hope the OP comes back with a happy ending, obviously the work she's putting into findin this pony is all because she has a close spot in her heart. Best of luck.. keep us updated please!!

Trixie
Apr. 2, 2012, 03:24 PM
Frankly Trixie, you don't sound like the kind of person I'd want to be responsible for a horse I really cared about. Sure there are plenty of schoolies who are well cared for, but if you don't think horses are better off in a situation where they can bond with their owner -- whether as a working horse or retiree -- then I am actually quite surprised you spend time on COTH.

My personal animals aside, are you suggesting that no one should ever have school horses? And that no school horses ever bond with their caretakers? Should we be abolishing lesson programs?

Because given some of the lousy care I've seen from some private owners, I'm simply not going to get upset about a well cared for school pony in a good, responsible program. I simply think that horses are "best off" in a program where they're properly fed and carefully managed. If that upsets you, then you probably have some larger issues to address.

FWIW, the OP started another thread (interesting that we're dredging this one up from a few months ago). The pony was found and was - OMG! - just fine.

see u at x
Apr. 2, 2012, 03:34 PM
For something that started out with just a basic question by the OP looking for a pony that meant a lot to her and her family, you sure have turned this whole thing quite negative. Frankly Trixie, you don't sound like the kind of person I'd want to be responsible for a horse I really cared about. Sure there are plenty of schoolies who are well cared for, but if you don't think horses are better off in a situation where they can bond with their owner -- whether as a working horse or retiree -- then I am actually quite surprised you spend time on COTH. Best of luck to the OP -- I hope she gets the pony. I just went through something very similar and it was a very happy day when my pony arrived home. I hope for her sake the other posters will refrain from twisting her words and just offer her some help if at all possible -- kudos to those who already did!

Whoever pissed in your Cheerios this morning should be b!*ch-slapped. Clearly, you don't read these forums much. At all. If you did, you would realize that Trixie is one of the last people on these boards to whom you should be accusing of being a poor or irresponsible horse owner. While she has a wonderful relationship with her horse, she (along with many others on these boards) understands the practical side. They are HORSES, not people, and frankly, they don't give a flying fig if we love on them or spoil them rotten. Horse ownership isn't some teenage horsey novel. Horses basically want food and water and to run around socializing with other horses. Maybe if some people would stop romanticizing horse ownership so much, they (the humans) would be a lot happier and better off.

Infinite
Apr. 2, 2012, 03:44 PM
Whoever pissed in your Cheerios this morning should be b!*ch-slapped. Clearly, you don't read these forums much. At all. If you did, you would realize that Trixie is one of the last people on these boards to whom you should be accusing of being a poor or irresponsible horse owner. While she has a wonderful relationship with her horse, she (along with many others on these boards) understands the practical side. They are HORSES, not people, and frankly, they don't give a flying fig if we love on them or spoil them rotten. Horse ownership isn't some teenage horsey novel. Horses basically want food and water and to run around socializing with other horses. Maybe if some people would stop romanticizing horse ownership so much, they (the humans) would be a lot happier and better off.

I read plenty. Like it or not the facts are the facts and Trixie did turn this negatively by continuing to twist the OP's words and pounce on any other comment made. You can accuse me of anything you want, but trust me I don't romanticize horse ownership. I do, however, believe strongly in providing that home to my own retirees -- not for my benefit but for theirs.

Frankly, you all million-post posters really don't like it much when someone calls a spade a spade do you? Just because anyone posts 30 zillion times on this board certainly doesn't give anyone the right the say whatever they want without someone calling them on it.

Infinite
Apr. 2, 2012, 03:47 PM
My personal animals aside, are you suggesting that no one should ever have school horses? And that no school horses ever bond with their caretakers? Should we be abolishing lesson programs?

Because given some of the lousy care I've seen from some private owners, I'm simply not going to get upset about a well cared for school pony in a good, responsible program. I simply think that horses are "best off" in a program where they're properly fed and carefully managed. If that upsets you, then you probably have some larger issues to address.

FWIW, the OP started another thread (interesting that we're dredging this one up from a few months ago). The pony was found and was - OMG! - just fine.

I never said someone shouldn't have school horses. You twisted the OP's words, that is what I said. Everything else you said in here is complete BS as it relates to me and had nothing to do with any comment I made.

CruisingforGold
Apr. 2, 2012, 03:51 PM
Piffle. Horses aren't elephants - they don't bond. Even with each other, much less humans.

CruisingforGold
Apr. 2, 2012, 03:52 PM
Anyway - original poster - good luck in your search. Did you try contacting Mike Bertozzi? He's still in the Virginia area as I see him fairly often at the Culpeper shows.

Trixie
Apr. 2, 2012, 03:59 PM
I was offended by the comments the OP made about school programs. What makes you think I haven't provided a home to our oldsters? (you'd be wrong - our last one was retired here for approx about ten years)

You were responding to a comment I made about horses needing to be retired and well cared for school horses. Let's revisit:

This, apparently, means that you think I shouldn't be trusted to care for your special horses, because I "don't think horses are better off in a situation where they can bond." (which isn't what I said)

So that makes my follow up questions about abolishing lesson horses and school programs completely pertinent, if you feel those horses aren't "bonded."

Infinite
Apr. 2, 2012, 04:09 PM
I was offended by the comments the OP made about school programs. What makes you think I haven't provided a home to our oldsters? (you'd be wrong - our last one was retired here for approx about ten years)

You were responding to a comment I made about horses needing to be retired and well cared for school horses. Let's revisit:

This, apparently, means that you think I shouldn't be trusted to care for your special horses, because I "don't think horses are better off in a situation where they can bond." (which isn't what I said)

So that makes my follow up questions about abolishing lesson horses and school programs completely pertinent, if you feel those horses aren't "bonded."

No, actually. I started by responding to your response to this comment by the OP:

many thanks to all who helped in the last 24 hours...

i received a PM from someone who donated her to a school in Maryland. I am now working on finding the contact info for that school and the riding instructors. My parents are on board to buy her back now!

No details on why she was donated. I cannot imagine what happened. gmmcormick are you surprised? i know you said she was so good for that little girl in the video.

I am very sad that she was donated. I always thought she was a special pony. not the most athletic but had potential to be a nice pony hunter...now she will be my second broodmare instead.

thanks again to everyone who has helped!! hopefully this will end happily for us.

No where in here does the OP say anything except that she is sad that the pony was donated. That is a fair statement, when you sell a pony you have the "hope" that it will always be a perfect kids pony with their own kid -- maybe that is a fantasy but certainly there is nothing wrong with hoping that their life will always be picture perfect. The OP does not make any insinuation on the program it was donated into, just that she was surprised it was. You then accused her of bad mouthing the program. From there it has continued on with you now accusing me of saying no one should have school horses.

All I said was based on your comments, you didn't sound like someone who I would want to care for my retirees - your comments sounded callous and critical and based on that I formed my opinion.

Trixie
Apr. 2, 2012, 04:52 PM
You quoted a post where I was addressing Jsalem’s response about school horses. Otherwise, I feel that I sufficiently explained my perspective, which is that if one is looking for a pony and wants to buy it, posting publicly on the internet about how you’re unhappy with the pony’s present situation may not be the most expedient way to handle things - and could, in fact, influence the sale. It’s particularly problematic (and, FWIW, rude) when you know the person who donated the pony is reading the thread.

i received a PM from someone who donated her to a school in Maryland.

I am very sad that she was donated.

My comments were also intended to explain to the OP that not every “school” situation is a case of lame or unwanted horses being dumped there.

From there it has continued on with you now accusing me of saying no one should have school horses.

I didn’t “accuse” you - I asked you to clarify your statement by asking follow up questions. Most people don’t use question marks for accusations.

tazz001
Apr. 2, 2012, 05:02 PM
Holy *rap...train wreck!

Lets just hope said pony is being well taken care of and the OP can hopefully buy her back!

Infinite
Apr. 2, 2012, 05:18 PM
You quoted a post where I was addressing Jsalem’s response about school horses. Otherwise, I feel that I sufficiently explained my perspective, which is that if one is looking for a pony and wants to buy it, posting publicly on the internet about how you’re unhappy with the pony’s present situation may not be the most expedient way to handle things - and could, in fact, influence the sale. It’s particularly problematic (and, FWIW, rude) when you know the person who donated the pony is reading the thread.

My comments were also intended to explain to the OP that not every “school” situation is a case of lame or unwanted horses being dumped there.

I didn’t “accuse” you - I asked you to clarify your statement by asking follow up questions. Most people don’t use question marks for accusations.

As I said previously, I never made any mention of anyone not having school horses or that somehow lesson programs should be abolished. I simply stated that your comment was callous with regard to saying you wouldn't feel bad for horses as long as they are properly fed just because they don't bond [and yes I am paraphrasing feel free to go back to the original]. I think in a good program horses do bond to their caregivers -- whether its their owner, rider or truly just the "caregiver." That doesn't matter if it is someone's private farm, a lesson barn or a school. You asked me if I meant that we should abolish all lesson programs. My answer is simple -- NO. And the reason is even more simple -- that question had nothing to do with my comment. So, thanks. That's it for me.

Trixie
Apr. 2, 2012, 06:31 PM
I simply stated that your comment was callous with regard to saying you wouldn't feel bad for horses as long as they are properly fed just because they don't bond

I don't think I was being callous at all. If a horse is well cared for, that is a good thing. Good care is compassionate. I will not, however, feel bad if they don't have black beauty style bonds with their caretakers.

This reminds me of a little mare that was lent to a friend of mine to stay at our farm one previous summer. He adored her. He would groom her, feed her, give her treats, and lavish her with adoration. They trail rode together frequently. She had everything - above and beyond basic care - that she could want, but they didn't "bond" per se, because it just wasn't her nature. This isn't a tragedy. She was more than content.

In general, most of the animals in lesson programs don't have incredibly speshul bonds with one person. They're ridden by multiple riders. The staff occasionally changes. That is why it is pertinent for me to ask you if you believe in abolishing lesson programs - because their very nature leads to a style of management that you apparently have a problem with.

Remembering that my comment was based on this quote: "And it hurts me to see the horse passed around the students and not have that special someone to bond with."

Crazy-Pony
Apr. 3, 2012, 03:13 PM
Holy *rap...train wreck!

Lets just hope said pony is being well taken care of and the OP can hopefully buy her back!

Seriously. What they are discussing no longer has ANYTHING to do with "looking for pony last known name was 'My Sweet Irish Rose'" or hunters or jumpers.

CruisingforGold
Apr. 3, 2012, 10:06 PM
Good luck nice person who is looking for My Sweet Irish Rose. Please let us know what happens in your search as I am ignoring the cray-cray comments. Best of luck in your search.

PS - Trixie not callous. She's actually very nice and cares enormously about her horses. I have known her for years.

Infinite - your heart is in the right place. Good for you.

Mercy!

alto
Apr. 4, 2012, 12:01 AM
posted here (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344368)

Rel6
Apr. 4, 2012, 12:37 AM
Piffle. Horses aren't elephants - they don't bond. Even with each other, much less humans.

Sorry, but I just had to chime in to respond to that. I don't believe for a second that horses don't bond with each other. I've seen paddock mates form close bonds and get anxious and upset when separated. I'm not talking about herd bound behavior, but favoritism towards one particular animal.

jetsmom
Apr. 4, 2012, 01:37 AM

I'd disagree with you on that. Strangely enough I think most animals will form bonds with other animals/people.

Lord Helpus
Apr. 4, 2012, 10:18 AM
I don't think I was being callous at all. If a horse is well cared for, that is a good thing. Good care is compassionate. I will not, however, feel bad if they don't have black beauty style bonds with their caretakers.

This reminds me of a little mare that was lent to a friend of mine to stay at our farm one previous summer. He adored her. He would groom her, feed her, give her treats, and lavish her with adoration. They trail rode together frequently. She had everything - above and beyond basic care - that she could want, but they didn't "bond" per se, because it just wasn't her nature. This isn't a tragedy. She was more than content.

In general, most of the animals in lesson programs don't have incredibly speshul bonds with one person. They're ridden by multiple riders. The staff occasionally changes. That is why it is pertinent for me to ask you if you believe in abolishing lesson programs - because their very nature leads to a style of management that you apparently have a problem with.

Remembering that my comment was based on this quote: "And it hurts me to see the horse passed around the students and not have that special someone to bond with."

AARRGGHHHHHH.

Will the two of you take your squabble to PM? I think I speak for the majority of people reading this that your "he said" "she said" conversation is doing nothing positive to advance the topic of this thread.

The point of this thread is to help find the pony. It is not to discuss the merits of donating horses to school programs. That is the subject for another thread. Go fight your picayune battles somewhere else.

And, yes, I am addressing both of you. Do not get your panties in a wad because I happened to quote your post, Trixie.

ponydancer
Apr. 4, 2012, 12:24 PM
Since she was foaled here in VA, have you tried to get in touch with the Virginia Pony Breeders Association? I bet she was reg. with them and if the new buyers wanted to keep her VPBA status, they would have sent in a name change. It's worth a try.
www.vpba.com

jetsmom
Apr. 4, 2012, 12:25 PM
Pony was found. There is a thread on it.

Crazy-Pony
Apr. 4, 2012, 06:56 PM
Uh, guys? Will the two of you take your squabble to PM? As Lord Helpus said, "I think I speak for the majority of people reading this that your "he said", "she said" conversation is doing nothing positive to advance the topic of this thread.

The point of this thread is to help find the pony. It is not to discuss the merits of donating horses to school programs. That is the subject for another thread."

Trixie
Apr. 4, 2012, 09:05 PM
It seems kind of strange when people who weren't (or were barely) posting on a thread come on to moderate the discussion several days after the fact, particularly when the original has clearly been resolved. At this point, you're just helping bounce it back to the top of the page.

Infinite
Apr. 4, 2012, 09:17 PM
It seems kind of strange when people who weren't (or were barely) posting on a thread come on to moderate the discussion several days after the fact, particularly when the original has clearly been resolved. At this point, you're just helping bounce it back to the top of the page.

I'd have to agree with that. :) These folks are about 3 days late to the party. Since the pony has been found it really seems silly to be barking at folks who had a (spirited) discussion after the pony was found. But I guess people like to get the last word!

Congrats to the OP for finding the pony, I know I'd be thrilled.