PDA

View Full Version : Best Paddock boots

Bluehorsesjp
Feb. 27, 2012, 02:36 AM
I have gone through a pair of Ariat Devon Pros in 9 months, again. These ones have blown through the toe and have a weird right spur rest that my spurs refuse to stay on.
They also for no apparent reason took me FOREVER to break in.

So the question is what kind of paddock boots do I buy this time. I am not excited to fork over another $200 for the same kind. Especially since they don't last very long.
I have had grand prixs and had the elastic wear out in a matter of months.

I was looking at the Treadsteps, or?

I ride 2-3 horses 6 days a week. I try not to wear them all day and do wear rubbers if I have to bathe a horse, so I don't think I am horribly hard on them.

Any suggestions?

alto
Feb. 27, 2012, 04:28 AM
Well, since you don't abuse them, I'd start by trying to get a replacement pair out of Ariat (start with the tack shop you bought them at) :D

caughtintheact
Feb. 27, 2012, 09:22 AM
I have the Tredsteps and I love them. I had a pair of older Ariats before that I loved, but died after a few years of abuse (both boots were literally only held together with duct tape by the end :lol:), and I love my Tredsteps even more. The leather is fabulous, they break in very quickly, and they're so comfortable.

candysgirl
Feb. 27, 2012, 12:14 PM
I really like my Dublin paddock boots. I abuse the heck out of them and they last forever. My first pair lasted for 3 years until I ripped the zipper out of one of them playing polo. That was wearing them to do up to 20 stalls, ride 2-3 horses and bringing in/turning out 5-6 days a week.

I wore another pair out driving a carriage just from walking around on the pavement for 10 hours a day/5 days a week/for 2 years. The uppers are still perfectly fine, but I wore the heels out.

I bought two more to replace those and have had them for a couple years now. I don't abuse them nearly as badly, but I don't take particularly good care of them either. At around $70, I don't feel nearly as badly about having to replace them as I would if they were more than that.

FLeventer
Feb. 27, 2012, 01:05 PM
Another vote for the Tredsteps. 10x better then the Ariats and are holding up great! Way cheaper as well.

myalter1
Feb. 27, 2012, 01:18 PM
Dehner's. The only ones I will wear. I have had this current pair for about 6 years - I did have them resoled once..and i ABUSE them. I forget to wear rubbers when washing.. slosh through the mud, etc. I love my Dehners... They aren't cheap, but they last. I think I had my last pair for over 10 years. Replaced the zippers and the soles...

janiemerle
Feb. 28, 2012, 12:11 AM
I need to watch this thread. I bought a pair of Saxon Equileather Ladies Zip Paddock Boots in November and the stitching is already coming loose on the toe cap. :(

Oliver18
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:35 AM
Kroops, Kroops, Kroops ! Well worth the money plus they stand behind their product . I just replaced a pair I have owned for 15 years after 3 re-soles and 1 elastice replacement . Leather is still awesome now I wear the old ones when the weather is crummy .

woodhillsmanhattan
Mar. 7, 2012, 06:38 PM
Another Tredstep vote :)

rocky213
Mar. 8, 2012, 08:19 PM
I vote for Dehners as well !! Mine are going on 3 years and fit and look great (that is when I clean them). I just saw a pair on ebay go for 29.99. I just killed me to not bid on them, but I really don't need another pair.

Watch ebay, they pop up every now and then ..

Electrikk
Mar. 8, 2012, 09:17 PM
I've never had a problem with Ariats, but I know a lot of other people do. My first pair I had for six years of slogging through mud and water. I'm on my second pair now, had them for about 9 months now and they're still going strong, even with our mud. Zipper and laces are fine.
I've only heard good things about Treadstep, never tried them myself though.

ifiwereyou
Mar. 8, 2012, 09:42 PM
My next pair of paddock boots will definitely be Blunstones. The ones with the chisel toe are more stirrup friendly

nycrider2004
Mar. 11, 2012, 02:44 PM
Kroops, Kroops, Kroops ! Well worth the money plus they stand behind their product . I just replaced a pair I have owned for 15 years after 3 re-soles and 1 elastice replacement . Leather is still awesome now I wear the old ones when the weather is crummy .

DITTO! Mine are equally as old and just went in for the first time to have the elastic and heels redone (and Kroops is doing it even though they are 15+ years old!)....Note: I'm pretty diligent about keeping rubbers on except for when I'm on a horse because otherwise I go through the soles in 3 months! I'm a horrible pronator and this way I just go through the rubbers :)

I will also say that I sometimes wear these around the city and get many compliments so they even do double duty outside of the barn :)

Langfuhr
Mar. 11, 2012, 06:38 PM
Kroops all the way!!! I abuse my boots, but take good care of em and Ariats are basically disposable at this point

Sukey1971
Mar. 11, 2012, 07:37 PM
My Dehners are at least 6 years old and just now need to be resoled. I have sloshed through mud in them many times, but I did put silicone water repellent on them a few times. I wear them about 3-6 hours a week. Dehners also makes paddock boots in an A width, which is narrower than most other brands. Great if you have narrow feet. You can also customize the insides with Dr Scholls gel inserts, orthotics, whatever.

hundredacres
Mar. 11, 2012, 08:02 PM
I just bought Tredsteps and while I can't vouch for how long they will last - my goodness they are soooooo comfortable!