PDA

View Full Version : Saddle pad rub remedies?

Wholehearted
Feb. 26, 2012, 09:12 PM
My saddle pad has rubbed all the hair off my horse's spine where the seam meets his skin. I've read online that this is typical with a clipped horse and will go away when he sheds his coat out. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've been putting MTG on the bald spots every day to help the hair growth, but does anyone else have any other advice? I'm wondering if I should get him a baby pad or switch to my fuzzy shaped pad for a few months. All my other saddle pads have a seam in the same spot so it'd have to be the fuzzy one if I wanted to change it out.

joiedevie99
Feb. 26, 2012, 09:17 PM
Yes- change saddle pads. You need something with fleece underneath, something with no binding or seam in the problem area, or one of the Ecogold Frictionless pads.

Also, try MicroTek Rebuilder instead of MTG. I've had better luck with it in that area.

karlymacrae
Feb. 26, 2012, 10:41 PM
Definitely switch saddle pads, or put a nonslip underneath. It should shed out.

alto
Feb. 27, 2012, 02:23 AM
My saddle pad has rubbed all the hair off my horse's spine where the seam meets his skin.

I've been putting MTG on the bald spots every day to help the hair growth

Look for the saddle pads that "lift up" along the spine (some advertise as having an "air channel") - are you sure that your saddle is not shifting & causing the rubbing?

Obviously not the season to worry but be cautious if combining MTG & sun as severe skin irritation can happen (it's a photochemical reaction).

Highflyer
Feb. 27, 2012, 06:33 AM
My clipped horse is getting rubbed by EVERYTHING this year, including both his saddle pad where I didn't leave quite enough of a patch, and his fuzzy girth. He even has a rub like a spur rub where my heel touches him (I don't wear spurs except when we jump, which is maybe 2x a month!) At least there's really only another month before his coat is in.

retrofit
Feb. 27, 2012, 11:30 AM
Ditto "switch pads."

Ecogold Frictionless are $$$$$ - and the back edge rubbed my horse anyway.

I had the most success using a medical-grade sheepskin (Christ Horsedream) half-pad as the bottom layer, square pad on top. Any good quality REAL sheepskin pad should do the trick.

Also consider saddle fit - too much friction will cause anything to rub.

morsekg
Feb. 27, 2012, 01:45 PM
My horse gets rubs from my regular saddle pad in the winter, even though he's not clipped. I ended up getting him a mattes full pad with the fleece underneath during the winter last year. His hair started growing back right away that winter and this year I switched as soon as it got cold and no problems. Smartpak has certain premade color selections that you can get right away which is what I did. I've only had to wash it once so far this winter and it still looks like new.

If the poster has had the same saddle for a while I wouldn't say it's a fit issue.

reefy!
Feb. 27, 2012, 09:56 PM
Agree - those Ecogold frictionless are not great. Even the nylon part has gotten pills all over it over the course of the winter. I bought two and my horse still has rubs from the seam along the back where the fake fleece meet the nylon part.

I'll save my money for a Mattes for next winter.

Guilherme
Feb. 28, 2012, 12:00 AM
Are you sure you have a "saddle pad problem" and not a saddle fit problem?

G.

Dressage_Diva333
Feb. 28, 2012, 12:12 AM
Gall Salve works great for getting the hair to grow back.

rmh_rider
Feb. 28, 2012, 08:45 AM
I would get a woolback pad, and also check the fit of your saddle definitely. Also pull the pad up into the channel of the saddle so the pad isn't tight on the horses back when you are riding.

Keep your tack very clean. Wash, and hang to dry on the fence. Do a double rinse cycle, don't use any scented stuff, no fabric softener either, and do not use as much laundry soap when washing the pad.

MTG can be very irritating to the skin. I have not ever had good results from it.

If you have to wash the horse, use Corona.

I would also wash all your brushes to make sure they are clean clean clean. Rinse all really well. Let them dry.

Saskatoonian
Feb. 28, 2012, 09:19 AM
Sheepskin under the saddle pad works for me.

Wholehearted
Feb. 28, 2012, 09:42 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not the saddle as I've had the saddle and horse for a while and this problem just started very recently, sometime this past month at the very latest.

I'll definitely be switching pads while I look for something with a wool or sheepskin backing.

I also didn't know all the problems associated with MTG. I've got a huge bottle to use up but I'll make sure to watch those areas extra close in case of skin irritation. Thanks for the heads up.:)

Bearskin
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:03 AM
Nioxin (as in the stuff for balding humans) works great to regenerate hair lost from spur rubs, etc.

saddleup
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:18 AM
Bickmore's Gall Salve. The best stuff I've ever used for rubs.