PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Cinch Net round bale nets with horses with shoes?

Couture TB
Feb. 26, 2012, 08:31 PM
Alas it is that time of the year again where my two horses need their shoes put back on. Has anyone used the cinch nets with horses with shoes?

katarine
Feb. 26, 2012, 08:33 PM
Sure, all winter...in a round bale feeder and we keep the netting cinched up so they are very unlikely to pull any of it out of the feeder.

Allowing shod horses access to it outside of a feeder would be an bad choice.

Couture TB
Feb. 26, 2012, 09:22 PM
What type of roundbale feeder do you have? Have been looking into a few different ones. Right now it isn't in a feeder as non of the horses have shoes in the winter and it has helped a ton in them not wasting their hay. I just have reservations about roundbale feeders due to horror stories about severed tendons and such

katarine
Feb. 27, 2012, 09:40 AM
it's quite similar to this one.

http://www.ranchcity.com/product.cfm?productID=188

Shine
Feb. 28, 2012, 07:47 AM
I have one mare with front shoes year round and I'm not worried she will get caught in the net. The feeder DH built for me is solid and I don't have to be concerned with the horses getting tangled up in the net or getting a leg caught.

keepersmom
Feb. 28, 2012, 02:01 PM
We used the net feed on a round bale and put it in the round bale feeder and when the horses ate some of the bale, they pulled the net over the side of the feeder and it got caught in my horses shoe. He panicked when he realized he was hooked and took off, dragging the net and the round bale feeder behind him. Luckily the net came off his foot before we had any injuries.

I was going to return the net after that but I like it so much that my husband just used solid rubber matting and attached it to the bottom of the feeder so the net can't be pulled through. Knock on wood, that seems to work!