PDA

View Full Version : Garden Tillers

pony4me
Feb. 26, 2012, 12:49 PM
I'm thnking of getting a new tiller, but need some enabling. I'd like an electric start rear tine model, but they are expensive. The smaller pull-start models are sometime difficult to start, even with proper maintenence, and I'm not getting any younger. What types do you have, and what models should I avoid? My current (non-working) tiller is a 3hp that's about 20 years old. Yesterday when I tried to start it, no luck, and when my son's friend gave the rope a good hard pull, it broke. I can mess with taking it somewhere and trying to get it fixed, or I can get a new one. Thoughts?

carolprudm
Feb. 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
Mr P has been pleased with this
http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=14102&storeId=10001&productId=91377&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=&top_category=

I use http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/MM55.html
which has been reasonably easy to start

Tom King
Feb. 26, 2012, 11:56 PM
If you have trouble starting a motor, you definately don't want a front tined tiller. The rear tined ones are much easier to operate. We bought a new Troybilt in 1979, and it's still doing a great job.

carolprudm
Feb. 27, 2012, 08:25 AM
If you have trouble starting a motor, you definately don't want a front tined tiller. The rear tined ones are much easier to operate. We bought a new Troybilt in 1979, and it's still doing a great job.

You might be surprised if you tried to start the one I mentioned. I have trouble with pull start motors and I wouldn't buy until the dealer put gas in it and let me try it.

Damrock Farm
Feb. 27, 2012, 09:40 AM
What Tom said. We have our 1980 troy-bilt, also still doing it's job quite efficiently.

Wanted to add: Front tine tillers will work in sand, but in anything else, it would be easier to turn the ground over by hand. I know from experience, lol. :lol:

carolprudm
Feb. 27, 2012, 10:31 AM
What Tom said. We have our 1980 troy-bilt, also still doing it's job quite efficiently.

Wanted to add: Front tine tillers will work in sand, but in anything else, it would be easier to turn the ground over by hand. I know from experience, lol. :lol:

That's not really true unless you are busting sod.

Mr P uses the big tiller, either the Troybilt or the tiller on the tractor at the start of the season then I maintain the garden with the stihl. And yes Virginia we have clay though we have added LOTS of compost to it.

FWIW I traded in a Mantis for the Stihl

vineyridge
Feb. 29, 2012, 05:51 PM
Front tine tillers will beat a smaller human to death. Been there, done that.

I have a 1982 rear tine Troybilt Horse with electric start that I can barely handle through the turns. Other than that, it's still chugging along and does an excellent job. Troybilt has since been bought out by some huge small engine device company, but I forget which one. The Troybilts of today are not the Troybilts of old.

I much preferred the tiny tillers that I've had. One was a Mantis and one was an electric thing with a snout with 30" tined spikes. That was great for raised beds. Best thing ever is to get a farmer to do the garden with raised rows. :)