PDA

View Full Version : Don Little update?

DarkStarrx
Feb. 26, 2012, 11:32 AM
I heard his horse fell on him this morning down, and he was rushed to the hospital. Any updates? And many jingles.

*RIP Don, and my thoughts his family and friends

Jumphigh83
Feb. 26, 2012, 11:41 AM
I heard he was not good. I hope to God I heard wrong.

DarkStarrx
Feb. 26, 2012, 12:51 PM
Oh no. Not good :(

Long Spot
Feb. 26, 2012, 01:31 PM
Oh dear. :( Hoping to hear some better news soon.

MHM
Feb. 26, 2012, 01:45 PM
Was he the one in the Masters class at WEF this morning who left in the Traumahawk helicopter? I hope he's ok.

Celeritas
Feb. 26, 2012, 02:58 PM
Was he the one in the Masters class at WEF this morning who left in the Traumahawk helicopter? I hope he's ok.

Yes that was him. I heard from a reliabke source that he is not doing well and might not make it. Don is a force of nature though and if anyone could fight through it, it's him. Jingling like mad...

supershorty628
Feb. 26, 2012, 03:03 PM
Oh no. Crossing my fingers for him, he is a great person! Best wishes to him and his family :(

Jacqui
Feb. 26, 2012, 03:41 PM
Praying like crazy!!! Oh how I hope he is going to be alright!

hifi
Feb. 26, 2012, 04:23 PM
OMG Jingles!

dreaminOTTB
Feb. 26, 2012, 04:26 PM
Lots of prayers ...

equinedriver
Feb. 26, 2012, 06:40 PM
WELLINGTON — A man in his 70s fell off his horse during a competitive jump at the Winter Equestrian Festival this morning and was flown by Trauma Hawk to the Delray Medical Center.

Festival President Michael Stone said Don Little competes every week, but this morning his horse stumbled after jumping a fence and Little fell off. Stone said about 3 p.m. that the latest report he received indicated Little was stable. Little fell on his head, causing a neck injury, Stone said.

"Riding horses can be hazardous," Stone said, and falls are common, but most do not cause the serious level of injury Little apparently sustained.

chunky munky
Feb. 26, 2012, 07:04 PM
Our prayers need to go to the Little family. Don has been a huge supporter of the horse shows and horses in general. We are supporting this tough guy to fight back from this injury.

This Weird Quirk
Feb. 26, 2012, 07:09 PM
Not to take away from Don, but ANOTHER serious trip and fall? What is with that footing?

Jingle to Don and family. Delray has a great trauma team, speaking from experience.

Ray
Feb. 26, 2012, 07:12 PM
jingles.........

spina
Feb. 26, 2012, 07:28 PM
jingles to a wonderful horseman, wishing him the best, and strength and courage to both him and his family.

jumpingmaya
Feb. 26, 2012, 07:32 PM
Heard from a reliable source that he is on a respirator...
I was literally in that ring 10 mins before it happened.

Jingles to him and his family for a quick recovery!

mostlynothing
Feb. 26, 2012, 07:39 PM
I don't know him but I am sure going to have him in my thoughts and prayers.

Quinn
Feb. 26, 2012, 08:10 PM
Prayers and jingles headed his way.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

RiverBendPol
Feb. 27, 2012, 07:41 AM
Any new news this morning?

MCM746
Feb. 27, 2012, 08:19 AM
I heard from a reliable source that he's on a respirator and that there is brain damage...

findeight
Feb. 27, 2012, 09:20 AM
Prayers for a great and long time supporter and competitor and his family.

There is NOTHING wrong with the footing. There are falls every year with 4k or so horses jumping around for 3 months-MGE had one fall on her in the warm up ring just walking and fracture her upper thigh a few years back. A well known Adult-A/O gal broke her collar bone coming off at a walk when her horse stumbled just hacking out, maybe 2 weeks ago.

We forget and want to blame-there is risk every time and every ride...if you have the passion, you accept that.
Don has the passion.

Individualblue07
Feb. 27, 2012, 09:24 AM
According to a friend who is close with the little's, they are running all types of tests and scans this morning. He is alive but currently I have no news as to whether there is any type of brain activity. Please keep sending your prayers his way as him and his family could truly use any kind words and thoughts!

supershorty628
Feb. 27, 2012, 09:27 AM
Phelps Sports has an article that says Don is in serious condition. Keeping him and his family in my thoughts.

Individualblue07
Feb. 27, 2012, 09:28 AM
Prayers for a great and long time supporter and competitor and his family.

There is NOTHING wrong with the footing. There are falls every year with 4k or so horses jumping around for 3 months-MGE had one fall on her in the warm up ring just walking and fracture her upper thigh a few years back. A well known Adult-A/O gal broke her collar bone coming off at a walk when her horse stumbled just hacking out, maybe 2 weeks ago.

We forget and want to blame-there is risk every time and every ride...if you have the passion, you accept that.
Don has the passion.

Very well said. Everyone is always so quick to find someone or something to blame, but the reality of it is that regardless of the footing.... Accidents happen. Horses and especially riders make mistakes. It's part of our sport and those of us who do have that passion are willing to take that chance in order to do what we love.

worth_the_wait08
Feb. 27, 2012, 10:56 AM
Big jingles for a wonderful horseman

MintHillFarm
Feb. 27, 2012, 11:59 AM
jingles to a wonderful horseman, wishing him the best, and strength and courage to both him and his family.

Wishing all the best too. So sorry to hear this!

Losgelassenheit
Feb. 27, 2012, 12:05 PM
From someone who watched the entire round, that was no "stumble and fall".

They had a bad distance and the horse swam through the fence. Don fell off but didn't let go of the reins and the horse came down on him. The horse then tried to get up while avoiding Don on the ground but couldn't free his head/neck to get up with Don continuing to hang on, so the horse rolled back down on him a second time, finally got free, got up & ran off.

According to one of the medics, he was not breathing and a neck injury had occurred in the horse's effort to get up off of him.

It was a terrible, tragic accident and we are all pulling for him. We had the pleasure of seeing him & his wife almost every morning and they are such wonderful, gracious people.

Endless jingles and prayers for them.

MCM746
Feb. 27, 2012, 12:26 PM
Here's the latest from my source in Wellington: Don's horse fell on him and he had a heart attack in the process. They were able to revive him. No news yet as far as the brain damage part. Don has 11 lives...

Instant Karma
Feb. 27, 2012, 12:30 PM
Prayers for Don and his family:(

kimball1
Feb. 27, 2012, 01:57 PM
This was an article in Boston Magazine last year that featured Don and a few of his many amazing contributions to equestrian sport-

http://bostoncommon-magazine.com/living/articles/myopia-hunt-club-horses-hounds-and-heritage?page=1

Hoping for the best for him and his family.

x
Feb. 27, 2012, 02:18 PM
Is this the same Don Little that is in the link above...the one associated with Myopia Hunt club?

Celeritas
Feb. 27, 2012, 02:42 PM
Is this the same Don Little that is in the link above...the one associated with Myopia Hunt club?

Yes, he is the MFH.

kimball1
Feb. 27, 2012, 04:03 PM
Yes, same Don. Another thing he does that the article doesn't mention is every fall he hosts the Fall Myopia Hunter Pace at his house. It is hugely popular-literally dozens of trailers parked everywhere and hundreds of horses galloping all over his very lovely fields.

CANTEREOIN
Feb. 27, 2012, 04:16 PM
This is shocking.... My heart goes out to his family and all the folks that he's touched over the years...

Barefoot Farm
Feb. 27, 2012, 06:23 PM
This is very upsetting news for everyone in Hamilton-Wenham, the hometown of Myopia Hunt Club. Does anyone have any update on Don's condition?

STA
Feb. 27, 2012, 06:41 PM
My prayers and thoughts for both Mr. Little and his family.

Mara
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:10 AM
This is very upsetting news for everyone in Hamilton-Wenham, the hometown of Myopia Hunt Club. Does anyone have any update on Don's condition?

I have read one unconfirmed report that Mr. Little has passed away. So sad.

Behind the 8 Ball
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:10 AM
So sad. He is a wonderful horseman and a kind gentleman. Prayers for the family.

Daatje
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:19 AM
How very sad. He was such a gracious host for the paces. The last I saw him was at the All NE Hunts Joint Meet. He commented that my horse was very fancy and that he wanted to get one....for driving, of course.

What a horrible thing to happen so close to home.

I hope the unconfirmed report of his passing is untrue.

findeight
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:38 AM
IF this is true?

He was (and I hope he still is) a grand old gentleman the likes of which is seldom seen these days. Totally devoted to his sport and his horses and a really nice person.

I think we should all raise the stirrup cup this evening to toast him on his way.

He led what can only be described as a grand life in grand style and left doing what he was passionate about. He leaves behind a standard few will ever match.

Kitty
Feb. 28, 2012, 01:05 PM
Horseshowdiva is reporting that he has passed away. So terribly sad.

Daatje
Feb. 28, 2012, 01:18 PM
Oh no, how terribly sad.

CANTEREOIN
Feb. 28, 2012, 01:39 PM
He was (and I hope he still is) a grand old gentleman the likes of which is seldom seen these days. Totally devoted to his sport and his horses and a really nice person.

I think we should all raise the stirrup cup this evening to toast him on his way.

He led what can only be described as a grand life in grand style and left doing what he was passionate about. He leaves behind a standard few will ever match.

And he did so much for the communities he belonged to... Myopia Hunt Club where he was the MFH, Conservation of land and its use for horses... I hunted behind him at the all New England Hunt... He was the picture of a horseman through and through!

I am so sad! Prayers to his family and all those that called him friend...

findeight
Feb. 28, 2012, 01:53 PM
Know it's a terrible cliche but...he did go out doing what he loved best and leaves the legacy of a life well lived.

His survivors should take great comfort in being able to celebrate that life and legacy.

Like I said earlier, a toast this evening to that life should be on every horseman and houndsmans schedual.

kimball1
Feb. 28, 2012, 03:07 PM
Out of respect for Don and his family, I don't think horseshow diva or anyone else should speculate on whether he is dead or alive until the family makes an announcement. Of course, if Don regains consciousness, I am sure he would get an enormous kick out announcing that tales of his demise may have been greatly exaggerated.

horsemom99999
Feb. 28, 2012, 05:52 PM
All the news is very sad, Don is a wonderful man in so many ways. I have a good friend in FL and has been the hospital and Don is very much alive and fighting. The news does not sound good but he is with us and fighting, with his family by his side. Please keep saying your prayers for Don and his family.

MintHillFarm
Feb. 28, 2012, 06:46 PM
All the news is very sad, Don is a wonderful man in so many ways. I have a good friend in FL and has been the hospital and Don is very much alive and fighting. The news does not sound good but he is with us and fighting, with his family by his side. Please keep saying your prayers for Don and his family.

Thank you for the update...I have been thinking about him all day.

Individualblue07
Feb. 28, 2012, 08:52 PM
For all that are unsure, don is still currently alive. His family is all down and they are still waiting to make any major decisions. Out of respect for his family, please do not spread rumors regarding his status unless you are closely involved.

Celeritas
Feb. 28, 2012, 08:56 PM
Continuing to jingle like mad... all of us on the North Shore have had him constantly in our thoughts.

MHM
Feb. 28, 2012, 08:58 PM
My thoughts are with him and his family and friends. I wish all of them the very best during this difficult time.

skydy
Feb. 29, 2012, 03:15 AM
My thoughts are with him and his family and friends. I wish all of them the very best during this difficult time.

^^^This.
Sending all hope and prayers.

lauriep
Feb. 29, 2012, 06:59 AM
Who would EVER take what Horse Show Diva writes as the truth?? No one with any sense...

Jingles to the family in this horrible time.

MCM746
Feb. 29, 2012, 07:24 AM
I have heard from my Wellie source that, indeed, Don has passed away. Our thoughts and best wishes go out to his family.

JustJump
Feb. 29, 2012, 07:49 AM
If confirmed, this is very sad news.

On a side note, it would seem that many descriptions of the incident have been rendered second hand.

According to eyewitnesses who were watching as it happened, the horse did not step or roll on him. It is pure speculation to wonder at which stage the heart attack occurred, but it may well have precipitated the missed distance and subsequent fall.

Andrew
Feb. 29, 2012, 08:11 AM
Who would EVER take what Horse Show Diva writes as the truth?? No one with any sense...

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jingles to the family in this horrible time.

DITTO!!

danceronice
Feb. 29, 2012, 02:08 PM
For all that are unsure, don is still currently alive. His family is all down and they are still waiting to make any major decisions. Out of respect for his family, please do not spread rumors regarding his status unless you are closely involved.

This bears repeating.

I've never met the man but anyone who at that age is still doing what he loves deserves respect. My prayers are with him and his family.

Teatime
Feb. 29, 2012, 02:28 PM
This update was posted a little while ago. They reference CoTH and Losgelassenheit's account in the article.

http://hamilton-wenham.patch.com/articles/myopia-horseman-donald-little-injured-while-competing-in-florida

MHM
Feb. 29, 2012, 02:44 PM
Teatime, thanks for posting that link. It sounds like he comes from a long line of adventurous types. I wish him well.

Daatje
Feb. 29, 2012, 03:23 PM
Yes, thank-you very much for the update. He has been in my thoughts often over the past day.

trubandloki
Feb. 29, 2012, 04:05 PM
Jingles for all involved.

hfxjumper
Feb. 29, 2012, 05:51 PM
Just received an email from Equestrian Sport Productions

"Death of Don Little*
February 29, 2012 - Donald V. Little died peacefully late this afternoon from injuries sustained on Sunday, February 26, when his horse fell while jumping a fence during the Masters Classic in the International Arena at the Winter Equestrian Festival in Wellington, FL.

Judith A. Little, Don's wife of 57 years, said, "I will miss him so much. Donald died doing what he loved. He was loved and respected by so many people, including his fellow competitors, partners and team members in the horse worlds of polo, field hunting, show jumping and thoroughbred racing as well as*in all other aspects of his life."

Don was born in Pittsburgh, PA, and spent most of his adult life as a resident of Ipswich, MA. He attended the University of Pennsylvania and was an avid pilot and a U.S. Air Force veteran where he was the youngest aircraft commander*in the Strategic Air Command. He was also captain of Myopia Hunt Club Polo for 18 years, past president of the United States Polo Association, current Master of the Foxhounds of the Myopia Hunt Club, and Founder and Chairman of Centennial Farms*which raced winners of many stakes races, including the Belmont Stakes in 1993 and the inaugural Breeders Cup Dirt Mile in 2007. Professionally, he was a highly successful broker and investment manager at UBS and its predecessor companies, PaineWebber and Kidder Peabody.

In addition to his wife Judy, Don is survived by a son, Donald V. Little, Jr., and a daughter, Andrea Little Eaton,*both of Ipswich, MA, a sister Patricia Moseley of Hamilton, MA, a brother, Crocker Snow, Jr. of Ipswich, MA, a brother, Andrew J. Little of Chipping Norton, England, and grandchildren Tapley D. Eaton, Donald V. Little, III, James D. Little and Isabella H. Eaton.
Funeral arrangements will be announced at a later date.*"

My sympathies going to Don's family and friends. Such a tragic loss.

Ray
Feb. 29, 2012, 05:55 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Little.

my condolences to his family, this must be agonizing.

Long Spot
Feb. 29, 2012, 05:58 PM
Such a heartbreaker.

My condolences to his family and friends. What an amazing life he lived.

Opus1
Feb. 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
So sorry to hear. My thoughts are with his friends and family.

FLeventer
Feb. 29, 2012, 06:58 PM
Just read about his death, well wishes for the family. May Don rest in peace.

findeight
Feb. 29, 2012, 07:23 PM
May Don find a good horse and pack of hounds over the bridge-forget resting. Cheers and fare thee well in whatever is next.

We should all aspire to leave a legacy like he has and leave doing what we love.

jlther
Feb. 29, 2012, 07:30 PM
Quote:

Originally posted by findeight: "May Don find a good horse and pack of hounds over the bridge-forget resting. Cheers and fare thee well in whatever is next."
---------------------------------------------

Here here! RIP Don...condolences to the Little family.

tidy rabbit
Feb. 29, 2012, 09:50 PM
So very sorry for his family and friends. Long may you run.....

crosscreeksh
Feb. 29, 2012, 09:50 PM
So sorry to read this. RIP Mr. Little. I didn't even know the man, but my hat is tipped to a gentleman with the talent and desire to still be doing his "thing" at that age. I'm sure his passing leaves a big gap in his family's heart and the horse community. CrossCreek

msrobin
Feb. 29, 2012, 10:25 PM
My heart goes out to his family. RIP Mr. Little.

bumknees
Mar. 1, 2012, 06:06 AM
RIP Mr Little...Never met him to the best of my knowlege, but heard about him a lot in the 80's.

cyberbay
Mar. 1, 2012, 08:07 AM
It is a very sad notice to read. He was, per the obit, an example of how to live life.

Would anyone know how old he was?

ddashaq
Mar. 1, 2012, 08:14 AM
Very sorry to read this. Godspeed, Mr. Little.

MHM
Mar. 1, 2012, 10:50 AM
It is a very sad notice to read. He was, per the obit, an example of how to live life.

Would anyone know how old he was?

I was told late 70s. Maybe 77?

My condolences to his family and friends.

MintHillFarm
Mar. 1, 2012, 12:04 PM
I was honored to judge a show that he was part of many years ago in MA...

I remember the venue and the day and he made it all the more special. I had followed his race horses over the years too.

So sorry for his family and friends....

NortheastSHG
Mar. 1, 2012, 12:45 PM
So sorry to hear of his loss. I had the honor of working with him years ago and have fine memories of weekends spent riding his horses and visiting with his wonderful family. My condolences to his loved ones. Tally-ho, Don!

Rockfish
Mar. 1, 2012, 02:04 PM
A sad time for all.

kcooper
Mar. 3, 2012, 11:51 AM
I knew Don but not very well -- mostly from riding out during cubbing season on occasion with Myopia with my event horses. One day, I had my gray mare out and she had been very quiet and well-behaved the prior three outings. This day, she lost it mentally and I was barely able to control her. She bolted into another horse and almost flipped. Don came over and I braced myself to be told off or at the very least asked to leave. Instead, he was SO kind -- told me this was not uncommon for a horse new to hunting to just reach a point where they can't cope. He walked with me back to the road and was very encouraging and kind. I was so impressed and relieved. So sad to hear of his passing and I imagine his family and close friends are just devasted.

frugalannie
Mar. 3, 2012, 01:48 PM
For anyone interested, the Myopia Hunt website (myopiahunt.com) has a lovely picture of Don, a tribute and the particulars of his memorial service.

jcotton
Mar. 3, 2012, 08:19 PM
I imagine my father, F. Albert Cotton and Don Little are foxhunting right now.
My dad was MFH of Norfolk, 1968-71.

My condolences to his family. Sounds like a wonderful man. Glad he was active with his horses right up to the end.

RumoursFollow
Mar. 3, 2012, 08:58 PM
So sorry for his loved ones. What an incredible life he chose to lead. I hope more of us can be lucky enough to leave this life doing our greatest passion, surrounded by those we love most.

I love this quote.. Sounds like it fits his lifestyle so well.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

MHM
Mar. 12, 2012, 02:08 PM
I just received an email about a memorial for him in Wellington this Friday evening, March 16th:

Donald V. Little Tribute on Friday, March 16

For Immediate Release
Wellington, FL - March 12, 2012 - A tribute to Donald V. Little will be held at the Palm Beach International Equestrian Center on Friday, March 16. Doors of the International Club Tent open at 7 p.m. and the ceremony will start at 7:30 p.m. in the International Arena. The tribute will highlight Don's remarkable life in the equestrian worlds of polo, field hunting, show jumping and thoroughbred racing.
Everyone is welcome to attend the Donald V. Little Tribute. General admission and parking are free.
Don Little was born in Pittsburgh, PA, and spent most of his adult life as a resident of Ipswich, MA. He attended the University of Pennsylvania and was an avid pilot and a U.S. Air Force veteran where he was the youngest aircraft commander*in the Strategic Air Command. He was also captain of Myopia Hunt Club Polo for 18 years, past president of the United States Polo Association, current Master of the Foxhounds of the Myopia Hunt Club, and Founder and Chairman of Centennial Farms*which raced winners of many stakes races, including the Belmont Stakes in 1993 and the inaugural Breeders Cup Dirt Mile in 2007. His show jumping career included competitions in the North Eastern United States and Florida, Spruce Meadows, Canada, and the Global Champions Tour featuring junior and amateur riders in Europe. Professionally, he was a highly successful broker and investment manager at UBS and its predecessor companies, PaineWebber and Kidder Peabody.*
Donations may be made in Don's memory to:*
Fisher House Boston, 111 Rockville Pike, Suite 420, Rockville, MD 20850,
Dana Farber Cancer Institute & Jimmy Fund, 10 Brookline Place West, 6th Floor, Brookline, MA 02445,
Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation, PO Box 3387, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866,
Life Fund FBO, Boston Park Rangers Mounted Unit, 125 The Fenway, Boston, MA 02115.