PDA

View Full Version : Quiet vs Quite

Plumcreek
Feb. 25, 2012, 01:20 PM
A horse that goes slow and steady is Quiet not Quite. I have seen this about 20 times in the last two weeks.
Arruugh.

Carry on.

Vesper Sparrow
Feb. 25, 2012, 01:21 PM
Similarly, horses have nice gaits, not gates.

When I read this, I keep imagining the poor horse straddling the top of a gate, albeit a nice one.

Big_Grey_hunter
Feb. 25, 2012, 01:24 PM
What if the horse is quite quiet and shows off its gaits while going through gates?

worth_the_wait08
Feb. 25, 2012, 01:24 PM
And a horse is good for mane pulling, not main pulling

and one holds the reins, not the reigns

...I'm going to stop there before my inner grammar/spelling police comes out in full force :yes:

Isabeau Z Solace
Feb. 25, 2012, 01:29 PM
How about "is good on the trailers." (Does that mean trail rides well or ships well?

LS
Feb. 25, 2012, 01:37 PM
My next horse need to be quite, with good confirmation. :)

Big_Grey_hunter
Feb. 25, 2012, 01:40 PM
You need confirmation about your horse's conformation, do a main mane pulling, and reign over the reins!

Inese
Feb. 25, 2012, 01:57 PM
A horse that goes slow and steady is Quiet not Quite. I have seen this about 20 times in the last two weeks.
Arruugh.

Carry on.

Stolen from FB:

Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit

Guin
Feb. 25, 2012, 02:09 PM
What if the horse is quite quiet and shows off its gaits while going through gates?

I love you.

Plumcreek
Feb. 25, 2012, 02:16 PM
Since this thread has legs:

You're = You are
Your = belongs to you

They're = They are
Their = belongs to them

comingback
Feb. 25, 2012, 02:48 PM
Reminds me of a day in my office when associates were taking a test. My manager meant to put up signs that said "Quiet Zone" but mistakenly put "Quit Zone" which was ironic since most people couldn't stand that place.

How about this example to keep it horse related:
If I want someone to "judge my ride" I would prefer him to tell me to keep my "heel" down instead of my "heal". Drives me batty!

***hopes and prays she spelled everything right and used correct grammar***

Gnomeland
Feb. 25, 2012, 04:43 PM
Sometimes it rains when im reigning over the reins.

N2Equus
Feb. 25, 2012, 05:23 PM
"Anyways" is colloquial English and considered slang. "Anyway" is the proper word.

Thoroughbred in Color
Feb. 25, 2012, 05:41 PM
Horse is for sale, not for sell. Conversely, you may need to sell a horse, but you do not need to sale it.

Horse longes well, but many I've seen on craigslist are experts at loungeing ;)

ohrebecca
Feb. 25, 2012, 05:46 PM
It's a farrier, not a ferrier, and definitely a furrier. If a horse stands well for the furrier, I'm concerned about what your common stable practices are.

kelsey97
Feb. 25, 2012, 06:16 PM
Boy horses are geldings, not gildings or giltings...

Mad Mare
Feb. 25, 2012, 06:21 PM
It's a farrier, not a ferrier, and definitely a furrier. If a horse stands well for the furrier, I'm concerned about what your common stable practices are.

"Ferrier" is the origin of the word "farrier". It's Middle French and means "blacksmith". Although, ferrier is obsolete, IMO, either is acceptable.

Eileen

S1969
Feb. 25, 2012, 06:24 PM
I have actually seen the word "ridding" used by people I actually know. Seriously? "Ridding" v. "Riding".....that is a 2nd grade spelling rule!

But yes, quite/quiet and heal/heel drive me batty. There is a guy who posts on our local Craigslist and sells the "calives" that are boys. Every time. Calives.

MySuperExAlter
Feb. 25, 2012, 06:27 PM
Riders push their heels down, not their heals... Horses have hocks.. not hawks...

LS
Feb. 25, 2012, 06:28 PM
I'm always intrigued by horses that "ride good." These are usually found on Craigslist. :lol:

ohrebecca
Feb. 25, 2012, 06:30 PM
"Ferrier" is the origin of the word "farrier". It's Middle French and means "blacksmith". Although, ferrier is obsolete, IMO, either is acceptable.

Eileen

Sorry, but I really doubt the backwoods people posting their gildings with good confirmation on Craigslist know about Middle French. I stand by my statement.

alterhorse
Feb. 25, 2012, 06:57 PM
In the land of Zod, where all the horses were shod, there was a quiet mare named Mary, who thought the wind was quite scary.

With a flip of her tail she would go, a galloping to and fro, over the hill and the dale, only stopping to eat from her bale.

The mayor of Zod who was Larry, had a fine Sheep dog who was Harry, Larry and Harry would walk down the lane, with Harry a pulling at the end of his chain.

One day when the Mayor was walking, and Mary the mare was bolting, old Harry got loose, and ran towards a goose, and the goose did a whole lot of squawking.

Up, up, in the air the goose he did fly, up higher then gooses did normally try, but then came the wind, and it blew against him, and as hard he try, he could no longer fly.

Down, down, that goose did fall towards the ground, flap, flapping and squawking and making odd sounds, and Mary did hear, with a turn of her ear that scary goose sound, and it filled her with fear.

Off with a fright, she turned to the right, jumped over her fence, and disappeared from site.

The moral of this tale, as some may wonder, has nothing to do with Sheep dogs who wander, it does instead have to do with a word, it's geese and not gooses, that are sometimes heard.

Janet
Feb. 25, 2012, 06:58 PM
Sorry, but I really doubt the backwoods people posting their gildings with good confirmation on Craigslist know about Middle French. I stand by my statement.
On the contrary, many of the "backwoods" spellings and pronounciations ARE a holdover form Elizabethan times.

kichiri_kachiri
Feb. 25, 2012, 07:25 PM
Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit

:lol::lol::lol:

Correctly using commas in lists: :D:D:D
Why I still use the Oxford comma (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9sjDkEWmA5k/ThYteLg107I/AAAAAAAAAcw/sZ1zPhssTSc/s1600/58236511_IULwFPNR_c.jpg)

I freely admit my English leaves something to be desired. That is why I use spell check and reference dictionaries, thesauri/thesauruses (thank you, Marriam-Webster, for letting me know that either is correct), and a grammar reference book (or just Google).

Couldn't help myself:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzxlus16Of1rp1ouoo1_500.jpg
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzjuylbcQQ1qkwbdeo1_500.jpg
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzt71qfDOf1qbze77o1_r1_500.jpg
http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/spelling-and-word-lists/misspelled.html
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lydwkejtMr1qdvbneo1_500.jpg:yes:

janiemerle
Feb. 25, 2012, 07:32 PM
This is the best thread. <3

delznnord
Feb. 25, 2012, 09:17 PM
Ooohh, I've got some!

Your horse bends at the poll, not at the pole.

Also: at a barn where I work, they feed all the horses beat pulp. Hmm... beat to a pulp...

PuraVidaEventing
Feb. 25, 2012, 09:24 PM
A horse can definitely jump 3'6", not defiantly jump 3'6" (:

lily pony
Feb. 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
you mean you don't want my quite gilding with good confirmation i've been trying to sale? hes real good for ridding.

:lol:

MaybeMorgan
Feb. 25, 2012, 09:34 PM
yes, but will he go in a bridal?

bluegirl
Feb. 25, 2012, 09:50 PM
Haha! We have some person on CL who keeps posting for a new horse ridding club in the area. Seems nice, but not really giving the best impression. Poor grammar and spelling make me totally nuts!

Addison
Feb. 25, 2012, 09:54 PM
He goes great in a bridal with a martindale.

Derby Lyn Farms
Feb. 25, 2012, 10:34 PM
How about For Sell or Must Sale. Drives me nuts lol

PaintPony
Feb. 25, 2012, 10:38 PM
Yesterday someone emailed me about a HELFLINGER they have for lease.

That doesn't sound like a horse I want to ride.:eek:

mswillie
Feb. 25, 2012, 10:52 PM
Ooohh, I've got some!

Your horse bends at the poll, not at the pole.

Also: at a barn where I work, they feed all the horses beat pulp. Hmm... beat to a pulp...

Unless of course you're pole bending. ;)

ohrebecca
Feb. 26, 2012, 12:32 AM
On the contrary, many of the "backwoods" spellings and pronounciations ARE a holdover form Elizabethan times.

Again, I stand by my statement. Maybe you haven't met the kind of people I'm talking about... but I sure have.

I seriously need the eyeroll icon right about now.

skydy
Feb. 26, 2012, 12:50 AM
Trainer not "trainor"...

karlymacrae
Feb. 26, 2012, 12:53 AM
Your horse jumps the course, not the coarse.

Mukluk
Feb. 26, 2012, 01:06 AM
Entertaining thread ya'll!!! My horse has several gates and I pull upon the reigns. I try to make her cantor but she would prefer to be a high priestess. Once I made her wok but she didn't want to stir fry so that was that. According to her Gallup poll some ridiculous politician is going to win. Egads.

ACP
Feb. 26, 2012, 01:12 AM
Also from CL ads, "For sell, philly."

Mukluk
Feb. 26, 2012, 01:14 AM
Height of fences that is.

For me adult (sort of re-rider never jumped > 3' in as a kid) on my new to jumping OTTB easy is 2'3 or less. Medium is 2'6 - 2'9. And challenging would be 3' to 3'3" I personally have never jumped higher than 3'3" that soon to be corrected on my horse or a trusty lesson horse. But I bet for the big jumpers those heights are nuthin'

So what is your personal
easy
medium
and challenging?

Someday I hope that 3'6 is "easy."

skippy60
Feb. 26, 2012, 01:14 AM
Couldn't help myself:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling:

This. Is. Funny. Try presenting this to your English class.

Slewdledo
Feb. 26, 2012, 01:59 AM
From a girl who ended up with one of our horses after he changed hands a few times. From some sale ads (in a couple weeks, horse this person got for free went from $3k to $8k to $15k to off the market, going to the Olympics.)

has pritty enuff movement
knows the basics of caring collection. forward moving large gates. very sweet dissposition. she is a spunge and picks up things very quick! lunges over fences and gose over small jumps
how much easyer could you ask for
nice strait legs ---> Sorry, I picture George Strait in his tight jeans

WhySoSerious
Feb. 26, 2012, 07:22 AM
Reading this thread made me remember an ad I saw in a gas station in BFE Kentucky:
"For Sell, Shit Zu puppies":winkgrin:

loshad
Feb. 26, 2012, 08:21 AM
If you're not careful when your horse gets loose, you might lose it.

Super common error on CoTH -- makes me stabby every time.

Gray Horse H/J
Feb. 26, 2012, 09:35 AM
I think quite vs quiet could be a really easy typo to make. If someone's ad, post, whatever was otherwise well written, I'd assume something like "My horse is very quite to the jumps." to be a typo.

I always get a little puzzled when I see people write (or hear them say) that they jumped 2'4" or 2'11" or 3'7", etc. I've never seen jump standards come in those height increments. If there are standards that come in those increments, then I stand corrected.

I also cannot stand, "The horse bucked me." No. Either the horse bucked, or he bucked while you were riding, or he bucked you off. He didn't buck you. That just really sounds wrong.

MySuperExAlter
Feb. 26, 2012, 10:03 AM
How about this example to keep it horse related:
If I want someone to "judge my ride" I would prefer him to tell me to keep my "heel" down instead of my "heal". Drives me batty!

YES! Robert Gage drives me batty with his misspellings!

naters
Feb. 26, 2012, 10:40 AM
Thank you, OP! You "maid" my day!

SSacky
Feb. 26, 2012, 11:28 AM
I always get a little puzzled when I see people write (or hear them say) that they jumped 2'4" or 2'11" or 3'7", etc. I've never seen jump standards come in those height increments. If there are standards that come in those increments, then I stand corrected.

There are standards with those slanted cups so they don't have holes and can place the cups at any height I'll try to find a picture.

What annoys me most is when people mix of the ' and " for feet and inches. So you jump 3" but you plan to show 18' :eek:

ferrier is very common where I'm from, but there's a lot of francophones so 'fer' (Iron) rrier makes more sense to them I guess.

Also, I hate when people when people use literally incorrectly. 'I literally died!' really? you LITERALLY died?

naters
Feb. 26, 2012, 11:30 AM
I am looking for a TRAILER, not a "trailor" to be sure!

alterhorse
Feb. 26, 2012, 11:35 AM
A groom may listen to the bridal march, and a groom may also bridle a horse, but could a groom do both at the same time?

wcporter
Feb. 26, 2012, 12:01 PM
Punctuation: The difference between helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

;)

NoDQhere
Feb. 26, 2012, 12:16 PM
Whenever someone writes "jump shoot" (instead of chute) I get a flashback to those old western movies where the guy shoots at another guys feet and says, "Dance, damn you, dance". :lol:

Filly colt drives me bonkers too.

17.5 hands :rolleyes:

vagabondrider
Feb. 26, 2012, 12:27 PM

Those are "normal" heights in eventing- beginner novice max height is 2'7", novice is 2'11", preliminary is 3'7", advanced is 3'11". There are no jump standards on cross country courses, although these are also the heights for the show jumping phase. The only max heights that don't seem funny are training (3'3") and intermediate (3'9").

Janet
Feb. 26, 2012, 01:35 PM

I don't know about 2'4", but
2'11" = 0.9 meters and
3'7" = 1.1 meters

Both Eventing and Show Jumping (now) specify jump heights in metric, but most people use English measuring equipment, so they translate it into feet and inches. See, for instance the Jumper rule JP120.2.

Having, over the last several years, measured a LOT of show jumping courses set at 2'7" (0.8m), 2'11" (0.9m), 3'3" (1m) and 3'7" (1.1 m) I can assure you that there is enough variability in standards, cups (many of which now have two sets of holes) and rail widths that it is no harder to get a fence to measure 2'7", 2'11" or 3'7" than it is to get it to measure 3'3".

Plumcreek
Feb. 26, 2012, 01:54 PM
I think quite vs quiet could be a really easy typo to make. If someone's ad, post, whatever was otherwise well written, I'd assume something like "My horse is very quite to the jumps." to be a typo. .

Once is a typo. 3-4 times in a paragraph is not.

I think phonetically, so I am often horrified at the words my fingers type, but usually notice that and correct.

Another common one: lose vs loose.

Ravencrest_Camp
Feb. 26, 2012, 02:45 PM
Overheard at a horse show:

"I am going to go equitate"

Kryswyn
Feb. 26, 2012, 04:18 PM
You spay your dog. Once that's been done, your dog is spayed, NOT spade.

Carry on..

supershorty628
Feb. 26, 2012, 05:17 PM

Those are the metric conversions. 1.10m is 3'7'', 0.90m is 2'11''. Standards at USEF shows (at least the ones I go to) are metric and are in those increments.

allpurpose
Feb. 26, 2012, 09:16 PM
It's AISLE, people, not ISLE! 'nuff said! Thank you!

rustbreeches
Feb. 27, 2012, 12:41 AM
I guarantee you're well bread philly is not 15.5 hands.

If you are not holding the horse it is loose, not lose.

And the one that drives me insane and I know is well loved here on CoTH is using lesson or clinic as a verb. You have a lesson, take a lesson or are currently in a lesson.

kalidascope
Feb. 27, 2012, 03:19 AM
There is a guy who posts on our local Craigslist and sells the "calives" that are boys. Every time. Calives.

I can't even figure this one out?? :confused:

S1969
Feb. 27, 2012, 08:11 AM
I can't even figure this one out?? :confused:

Calves. A boy calf. Probably a dairy farm but they don't keep the males.

He writes "It's a boy (or two)" and when you open the thread it says: "calives, that is."

Equilibrium
Feb. 27, 2012, 10:47 AM
I love seeing horses advertised over here as half breads. Pretty expensive half loaf you got there my friend!

Terri

Electrikk
Mar. 9, 2012, 11:59 AM
or there's the classic "equation prospect"
i wish my horse could do my math for me!

molly8it
Mar. 9, 2012, 03:05 PM
And the one that drives me insane and I know is well loved here on CoTH is using lesson or clinic as a verb. You have a lesson, take a lesson or are currently in a lesson.

AGGGHHHH!! Thank you! That one just kills me.

aadams89
Mar. 9, 2012, 03:10 PM
If you're not careful when your horse gets loose, you might lose it.

Super common error on CoTH -- makes me stabby every time.

AHH!!! Thank you!!!! This drives me absolutely batty!!!

OneGrayPony
Mar. 9, 2012, 03:25 PM
Errrr, actually ohrebecca I just read a thing...somewhere...that said that people who spoke with an English accent back in the middle ages actually most likely sounded like they were from...

West Virginia.

Not just anywhere in WV either...in the backwoods. How did the researchers come to that conclusion? Well, because that's where language has stayed relatively isolated for a very long time.

So, I wouldn't discount the middle-frenchedness of backwoods MI (particularly that location since the French DID come down through Canada).

I don't mind that people misspell, as I do know many people for whom proper English is as difficult as I find Math. I can't blame them for it. I know I was not taught to use the proper serial comma (I'm old enough to remember being drilled not to use the , and construction) and so quite often I have funny mishaps related to my non-serialization.

Quite honestly, I enjoy reading the variations as I can "hear" the person's voice in my head. I love speech patterns, words, misspellings and colloquialisms....fascinating, really!

LoveJubal
Mar. 9, 2012, 03:27 PM
Jump the coup instead of jump the coop.

Who knew that jumping a fence could cause a coup? :lol:

besttwtbever
Mar. 9, 2012, 03:34 PM
I also cannot stand, "The horse bucked me." No. Either the horse bucked, or he bucked while you were riding, or he bucked you off. He didn't buck you. That just really sounds wrong.

Gah!! I. HATE. THIS. Maybe it's correct, but I HIGHLY doubt it. To me this statement SCREAMS "I don't know what I'm doing". I'm currently at one of those barns where it's the blind leading the blind, so I hear this one all the time and it drives me NUTS!

Next time I'm going to ask them if he bucked while they were riding him or did he buck them off and tell them it wasn't clear from the way they stated it.

I've actually even heard this when someone was telling me their horse kicked them. :rolleyes:

I also HATE the loose, lose thing. You're and your are not intechangeable and neither are there, their and they're. They all mean something different! Proofread people! You can also edit your posts!!

equidae
Mar. 9, 2012, 03:50 PM
Errrr, actually ohrebecca I just read a thing...somewhere...that said that people who spoke with an English accent back in the middle ages actually most likely sounded like they were from...

West Virginia.

Not just anywhere in WV either...in the backwoods. How did the researchers come to that conclusion? Well, because that's where language has stayed relatively isolated for a very long time.

So, I wouldn't discount the middle-frenchedness of backwoods MI (particularly that location since the French DID come down through Canada).

I don't mind that people misspell, as I do know many people for whom proper English is as difficult as I find Math. I can't blame them for it. I know I was not taught to use the proper serial comma (I'm old enough to remember being drilled not to use the , and construction) and so quite often I have funny mishaps related to my non-serialization.

Quite honestly, I enjoy reading the variations as I can "hear" the person's voice in my head. I love speech patterns, words, misspellings and colloquialisms....fascinating, really!

Interesting.. watch this video.. I thought this girl was English or Australian at first. I've never heard an American accent like this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YCQ3PIm5b0

OneGrayPony
Mar. 9, 2012, 04:04 PM
equidae, I didn't know about the Worldwide Accent Project - that ROCKS! Thanks for sharing.

Yes, the article that I read said that most Shakespeare (read during his time) would have been correctly pronounced as those in the deep Appalachians would do today...quite different from Kenneth Branagh, I'm afraid.

The other thing that fascinates me completely is how our thinking evolves to believe that different things are "right" as spoken or written. I was just reading a cookbook from the 1800s that had the f thing for the long s (or was it the short s....I read it and now I don't remember...ugh....). Anyway, it was fascinating to read and adapt to, and to realize that it had a meaning that has since been lost and forgotten (in English, anyway).

I also find it amazing that thinking patterns are different based on speech patterns.

But....I'm a nerd. *sigh* A nerd who frequently forgets serial commas, uses elipses inappropriately to represent pauses in speech, sometimes mis-caps things as I'm writing because it's emphasized in MY head, hits enter before editing more often than not, and probably should never be an English professor!

OveroHunter
Mar. 9, 2012, 05:13 PM
I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but it is not a good Idea to capitalize random Nouns and/or Pronouns in Your Sentence. As You can see, it is quite annoying!

There was a recent thread where someone kept capitalizing "Idea" and something else and it drove me up the wall!

Lord Helpus
Mar. 9, 2012, 06:39 PM
moot v. mute.

Fingernails on a blackboard.

Even learned people who have great grammar use these words interchangeably.

AARRGGGGGHHHHHHH.

paulaedwina
Mar. 9, 2012, 06:58 PM
LOL! Moot and mute. My friends and I write fic and we love some of the errors and have enjoyed making new definition.

Mute point; I can't hear what you're trying to say.

Moo point: the cows don't care

Taken for granite: Everything you see looks like quartzite rock.

The miters touch: Everything you touch turns into a 45 degree angled corner or a pope hat.

There are more of course.
Paula

mojo7777
Mar. 9, 2012, 07:47 PM
Here's a popular one. Faze and phase, as in, "His athletic jump doesn't phase me." But you can't beat confirmation for sheer frequency. :)

MistyBlue
Mar. 9, 2012, 08:04 PM
I'm actually seeing this in print now..books, etc.

"Try and do something."

WTF does that mean? You can try TO do something. You cannot 'try and do' something. I see it all the time online, but recently also noticed it in a book and in a newspaper.

A person cannot "try and" anything. Knock it off. It's Try To.

:winkgrin:

equidae
Mar. 9, 2012, 08:46 PM
I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but it is not a good Idea to capitalize random Nouns and/or Pronouns in Your Sentence. As You can see, it is quite annoying!

There was a recent thread where someone kept capitalizing "Idea" and something else and it drove me up the wall!

One of my FB friends capitalizes every single word she types.

It Must Take So Much Of Her Time To Do It Too.

On what planet is that normal? Where do people get the idea that every word must begin with a capital letter?

HandsomesMom
Mar. 9, 2012, 08:51 PM
Love JMR but I am with you comingback. HEELS HEELS HEELS! Not heals. My heel may need to heal.
Also definitely, not definantly, definently, and NEVER EVER defiantly

Star's Ascent
Mar. 9, 2012, 09:35 PM
Here is one on a pony on our craigslist
"has been showned and did great!"

mroades
Mar. 9, 2012, 09:36 PM
Love JMR but I am with you comingback. HEELS HEELS HEELS! Not heals. My heel may need to heal.
Also Definitely, not definantly, definently, and NEVER EVER defiantly

THIS!!!!!

kashmere
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:04 PM
The Worldwide Accent Project is so cool! I'm from a tiny place that has a silly accent, and am the daughter of "foreners" to boot, so god only knows how strange I sound to outsiders!

On the other hand, my spelling and grammar are pretty much spot on; I even know how to use funny things like semi colons. :lol:

seabreeze
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:14 PM
Yesterday someone emailed me about a HELFLINGER they have for lease.

That doesn't sound like a horse I want to ride.:eek:

:lol::lol::lol:

I saw an advertisement for a horse with "atomic changes" the other day. I can only imagine what an atomic change would be like...

seabreeze
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E

For those of you with an interest in accents.

You have to go about 40 seconds into the video to hear people talking. I have many friends from Tangier (just a few miles via air or boat in the Chesapeake Bay), and I never tire of listening to them talk. I've listened to some of the old-timers on the island talking on visits over there and have sometimes not understood a word they said.

Linguists have determined that this is the most well-preserved Elizabethan-era accent known today. The island is so secluded that their accent hasn't changed much since the island was settled in the 1600's.

RockstarPony
Mar. 10, 2012, 01:56 AM
Craigslist is the absolute best for this. A bit ago I saw an ad for $200 'Puddle' puppies. My favorite, though, was an Arabian advertised as having a 'good work ethnic.' Every thing else in the ad was flawless, which for reason made it even funnier.

Rambler
Mar. 12, 2012, 12:03 AM
The best I have seen lately, a mother gushing on facebook about how well her kid is doing in reigning. I'm pretty sure the queen is the one who does that, not this kid! Great kid btw...I just found it funny. PS I like this thread alot:)

moonriverfarm
Mar. 12, 2012, 02:56 PM
The simplest - "their", not "there" ,as in "I loved THEIR sushi" - is the most annoying and often misused word and it drives me insane to see educated people use it. Of course, I ought to be immune to the irritation of bad English as I work with a group who uses phrases like "Them's the ones" and "I seen that" :eek:

INoMrEd
Mar. 12, 2012, 03:46 PM

Snarfed my Coke Zero on that one!

MintHillFarm
Mar. 12, 2012, 03:49 PM
And my horse is not quite quiet enough :)

Star's Ascent
Mar. 12, 2012, 04:52 PM
I just came across an ad for an American Warmblood and it has a dame as its mother! Lucky little thing.

ElisLove
Mar. 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
This has probably been mentioned before but I see it ALL the TIME!!
LOOse, instead of lOse. Every where I look I see people loosing weight, or loosing muscle, or they are loosers. Drives me batty!

Wholehearted
Mar. 13, 2012, 12:03 AM
It drives me crazy when people capitalize every word in their sentence. It Makes Me Feel Like I'm Reading The World's Longest, Most Boring Headline.

Minor, but "matts" instead of mats.

LDavis104
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:08 PM

A couple of years ago my horse reared, hitting my hand with his neck and broke my hand. The paperwork from my doctor visit stated that "horse bucked patient's hand."

Claudius
Mar. 13, 2012, 03:20 PM
How I love this thread!!! But it further convinces me that our educational system is desperately failing us!!! ( I checked twice....I sure hope I didn't misspell anything....oops, are there two s's in misspell????)

Killian7
Mar. 13, 2012, 04:08 PM
Something I’ve been noticing recently is people typing the word an instead of and. At first I thought it was typos, but I’m seeing it too frequently. Another one is should of or could of instead of should’ve or could’ve.

As for CraigsList...

What about a stalk trailer?

I’m surprised no one has mentioned a sattle.

Recently I saw an ad for a Passo Fino mare who is gated.
Among other things this horse can run and trott all day. She is so fast the owner has to stop and wate for others to catch up on the trail. The mare has been exsposed to a stallion so she may possaably be in foal. Mare can be ridden in a snaffel. She is flashey and there is discussion about her main and tail as well as the inviornment the horse is used to.

Star's Ascent
Mar. 14, 2012, 12:03 AM
[QUOTE=Wholehearted;6191640]It drives me crazy when people capitalize every word in their sentence. It Makes Me Feel Like I'm Reading The World's Longest, Most Boring Headline.

A gIrl I USed TO woRK WiTh UseD to WrITe LiKE ThiS AnD ThOuGHt iT wAs ReAlLy CUTe. There was no rhyme or reason to which letters she capitalized and which she didn't. She was mid 20's I think. In handwriting it was really hard to read. We kept telling her (including mgt.) that she couldn't write like that because no one could read it and she kept doing it because it was cute. It drove us nuts! She was not the brightest bulb to begin with. By a lot!

Janet
Mar. 14, 2012, 07:34 AM
Another one is should of or could of instead of should’ve or could’ve.
Or "try and" instead of "try to".

caffeinated
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
I'm always intrigued by horses that "ride good." These are usually found on Craigslist. :lol:

Especially the ones that ride people.

For fun, I found three the same day for HITM's bad ads contest (and won that week):

I have a 10 y/o QH Bay Gelding for sale! Great horse. Ive had him since he was born. He is broke. He has 90 days worth of training on him. The trainer taught him some in reining. He loves to go trail riding with other horses. Needs an experience rider but will ride kids with supervision. Rides great! He loads, bathes, stands when feet are trimmed. Great Horse! Im having to sale him because I dont have time for him anymore because of school and work but since he was born he has been my baby and turned out to be a really good horse. If interested contact me at .....

MY DAD WHO IS 80 RIDING MY GRANDAUGHTER WHO IS 2. DAN IS A GOOD RIDING GAITED HORSE, EASY GOING, DOES GOOD ON TRAILS, CROSSES WATER, LOGS, ETC. DAN IS A BIG STOCKY TWH, HE IS VERY PLAYFUL, LOVES TO BE HANDLED AND TREATED, HE IS COMICAL, HE LOVES TO PLAY WITH A WATERHOSE, CALL FOR MORE INFO xxx-xxx-xxxx, DAN ALSO DRIVES.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMlfSAnPYcM
CURRENT COGGINS, RABIES, UTD

(the picture was of the horse with the grandfather AND kid riding double)

I have a eight yr old morgan mare about 15 hands +/- to trade. she is ridable and has rode begginers. sweet as can be and butterball fat. Email if interested in trading

:lol:

axl
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:42 AM
I :) think it's just super ;) when :cool: people use :eek::(:o:mad: lots of emoticons :no::no::no::no::no:

baymarewithflair
Mar. 14, 2012, 03:08 PM
I think my personal favorite is the use of a longe line. A "lounge" is a place you hang out and rest, not what you do to exercise your horse.