PDA

View Full Version : Crossover into Hunterland..appropriate classes and attire?

flbay
Feb. 25, 2012, 12:25 PM
I did read a recent thread about attire for another crossover...but please make suggestions for the really small local hunter show I have entered for tomorrow. Thelast time I made a foray into the hunter ring was about 1986!

For attire:

Breeches are beige (but have matching beige full seat..will that kill me?)

Coat from 1986 is black with a very subtle black plaidish pattern and black buttons (still fits!),

White shirt with ratcatcher (no monogram...are pins out? Can i go plain?)

Field boots with side tooth spurs..legal?

Whip (i have a cross black country bat, a slightly longer beige whip which is shorter than a dressage whip and one that is in between with a wide flapper..also beige- thinking of going with the last one.)

Helmet..Charles Owen skull cap J3...I don't have any other choice on that...only ASTM certified helmet I own.

Tack is black - horse is bay - loose ring snaffle.

Oh, and I have black gloves.

Horse's tail is banged..oh well.

I was going to braid..but only do rubber band..should I NOT braid?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For classes - we are novice level eventers (2'11" class) so I entered the 2'9" division at the show which is as high as they go. I entered

Equitation over fences and

Hunt seat equitation - 2'9"...

is that second class possibly a flat class? I emailed the organizer and she was vague just saying enter the 2'6" or 2'9" division. My gelding is not a hunter and so I wanted to enter equitation classes where rider is judged (at least that is what it meant in 1980s) . The other choices were HUS, Hack, Working hunter and WH warmup.

Thanks for your input in advance!!!

Win1
Feb. 25, 2012, 01:14 PM
How exciting that you get to do a little show so early! I'm also an eventer, but two years ago I went to a H/J show similar to what you're describing. I wore my show jumping attire (white/black) but no monogram or pin, and my J3and I did put the visor down, lol!

I think whatever you wear in SJ will be fine for this, no one cared what I was wearing. I have no idea about braiding or what the classes mean so just enter some stuff and have a good ride:)

Tha Ridge
Feb. 25, 2012, 01:23 PM
Are the breeches true full seat or Euro seat? The Euro seat is trendy now, so you're totally fine, but the full seat is not very popular.

Coat and shirt sounds fine. No stock pins, just monogrammed or plain. Spurs are fine, and the cross-country bat will be the best choice for your stick.

I don't know if you'll be showing hunters often enough to warrant it, but I'd look into getting something other than the skull cap. You'll stick out like a sore thumb with it and there are other appropriate helmets that aren't super expensive.

Black tack is generally a "no-no" in Hunterland, but I wouldn't expect you to go out and buy all new tack. I wouldn't braid either, if I were you.

supershorty628
Feb. 25, 2012, 02:42 PM
I did read a recent thread about attire for another crossover...but please make suggestions for the really small local hunter show I have entered for tomorrow. Thelast time I made a foray into the hunter ring was about 1986!

For attire:

Breeches are beige (but have matching beige full seat..will that kill me?) That's fine. Not everyone wears them, but nothing wrong with it.

Coat from 1986 is black with a very subtle black plaidish pattern and black buttons (still fits!), Totally fine.

White shirt with ratcatcher (no monogram...are pins out? Can i go plain?) I go plain all the time! :)

Field boots with side tooth spurs..legal? What is a side tooth spur?

Whip (i have a cross black country bat, a slightly longer beige whip which is shorter than a dressage whip and one that is in between with a wide flapper..also beige- thinking of going with the last one.) How long is the black one? That is preferable.

Helmet..Charles Owen skull cap J3...I don't have any other choice on that...only ASTM certified helmet I own. You will stick out, but if you don't plan on doing many h/j shows, it's probably not worth it for you to get a more typical helmet.

Tack is black - horse is bay - loose ring snaffle. Again, not optimal (black tack) but won't matter.

Oh, and I have black gloves. Perfect.

Horse's tail is banged..oh well.

I was going to braid..but only do rubber band..should I NOT braid? Don't braid.

Added my answers in bold because it was easier than typing a giant block of a paragraph!

flbay
Feb. 25, 2012, 04:02 PM
Win 1, yes...we are lucky down here in FL..it has been in the 80s! Thanks for the encouragement:)

Tha Ridge, I am unsure what euroseat is...but you can't really tell when I am riding that they are fullseat..it isn't the entire hiney. They are Kerrits side zip, breech...the original, with matching "leather" seat.

Supershorty, the side tooth spur is here

http://www.horsetackinternational.com/lespur-3-teeth-ladies.html

it is very mild.

So, the consensus is my tack and helmet will be very obviously out of place but since I don't plan on showing H/J, I won't invest in the appropriate colors/styles in these areas.

I won't braid.

Thanks you guys so much!!

Ben and Me
Feb. 25, 2012, 04:17 PM
I'm not really sure what classes you've entered -- do you have a way to attach the prize list?

Usually when you enter a hunter "division," the division includes 2-4 over fences classes (4 classes for the big, rated shows, 2 classes for the small, unrated shows) and 1 flat class.

flbay
Feb. 25, 2012, 06:46 PM
Ben and Me,

Here is the showbill

http://seahorseshow.org/uploads/SEA_HunterShowBill_10_30_11.pdf

I think I entered classes 141 and 144

Hunter Mom
Feb. 25, 2012, 07:14 PM
Normally, one would be o/f and the other flat. I'm guessing they put the height on the flat because it "goes with" the o/f. Good luck!

Oh, and given that htose are the highest fence heights, I'm guessing you'll be fine even in a skull cap. I doubt anyone will look twice.

flbay
Feb. 26, 2012, 08:49 PM
Thank you all for your input! I did not feel out of place today - didn't braid - pony did well! The competitors and show staff were extremely friendly and helpful. A couple of trainers helped point me in the right direction. What a great experience! Thanks again!

karlymacrae
Feb. 26, 2012, 10:37 PM
I'm glad you had fun!!