PDA

View Full Version : Have things changed- This used to be a nono.. Gate on BACK side of triple bar oxer

marygoroundhorses
Feb. 25, 2012, 10:40 AM
Back in the day, it used to be a nono. I was telling a FB friend who runs a horse show, that the triple bar should NOT have a gate on the BACK of the third rail. And the ground line is underneath the front rail... not pushed out to the front standard's feet. Things change? I was always taught this was dangerous.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/431030_10150687658084434_636424433_11064235_843568 402_n.jpg

Tha Ridge
Feb. 25, 2012, 10:58 AM
No, that's still not acceptable and you won't see it at big shows.

Don't assume that something is now standard practice just because you've seen it once at what looks to be a schooling/local show. I think a lot of trainers would have said something if they saw that in the show ring.

Hunter Mom
Feb. 25, 2012, 11:00 AM
The ground line is fine. As long as it isn't behind the first rail, it's ok. The only reason to push it out more is to help the horse jump better. Jumpers often don't use ground lines at all.

JP123 3. A solid element (i.e., coop, wall, etc.) may not be used as part of the further-most element. Only straight rails (not curved), may be used on the back of spread obstacles. Only a single rail may beused on the middle or back of a spread unless the lack of a second rail would leave an excessive
gap between the top of the front element and later elements. Standards in which the rail rests on the top of the post are prohibited.

I guess they could've felt that there was an excessive gap...

Janet
Feb. 25, 2012, 12:44 PM
Assuming you are talking about jumpers

JP123 Spread Obstacles .
1. Definition. A spread obstacle is an oxer, a triple bar, Liverpool, or a water jump with a width
dimension. All courses require a minimum of three obstacles in which the spread exceeds the
height by 5 cm (2”) up to 15 cm (6”). (Exception: Puissance, Six Bars and special classes.) Refer
to JP122.7 for required number of spreads.
2. Measurement. Spread obstacles are measured from their two outermost top extremities on a
line parallel to the ground.
3. A solid element (i.e., coop, wall, etc.) may not be used as part of the further-most element. Only
straight rails (not curved), may be used on the back of spread obstacles. Only a single rail may be
used on the middle or back of a spread unless the lack of a second rail would leave an excessive
gap between the top of the front element and later elements. Standards in which the rail rests on
the top of the post are prohibited.

Even if they thought there was an "excessive gap" they could only add a second rail, not a gate.

Usually, jumper courses don't HAVE groundlines. The only rules about groundlines ON course are about wter jumps. The rest of the ground line rules apply to the schooling ring.

Appendix A 11. Ground lines are not mandatory, however if they are used they must be placed either directly
below the front of the jump or up to 1 m (3’3”) out. If a ground line is used on the landing side of
a jump, there must be one on the take off side, and it may not be any further out than the one on
the take off side. If an oxer is flagged so it may only be jumped in one direction, the ground line is
only permitted on the front of the oxer.

Ravencrest_Camp
Feb. 25, 2012, 03:26 PM
Usually, jumper courses don't HAVE groundlines.

A lot of times course designers like to make the first fence on course inviting. This usually means something with a ground line.

Janet
Feb. 25, 2012, 03:53 PM
A lot of times course designers like to make the first fence on course inviting. This usually means something with a ground line.
That is why I said "usually".

fourmares
Feb. 26, 2012, 03:00 AM
Nope, not o.k. and the judge should have said something even if none of the trainers objected.

M. O'Connor
Feb. 26, 2012, 06:44 PM
That is a very badly built obstacle that should not be jumped.