PDA

View Full Version : Class sizes at Hits and Wellington

iccir
Feb. 25, 2012, 08:54 AM
Just because I was curious I compared class sizes at Thermal, Ocala, Hits Airizona and WEF, mostly looking at the Adult jumpers and the pre-green and similar hunter classes. I noticed that almost no one was going to Airizona hits!!! Super small classes and pretty good prize money still. When did this happen and how is this circiut still able to support it's self? WEF was of course the biggest by far. Huge classes. If I was showing this winter I'd head to the smaller shows, good prize money. Can someone explain why there is such a big difference in these show?.

chunky munky
Feb. 25, 2012, 10:36 AM
They all go to Thermal now instead of Arizona. Hits owns both so they don't really care. WEF is the largest but 10 years ago you would find the numbers in the A divisions about double what they are now.

FAW
Feb. 25, 2012, 11:36 AM
Arizona the last few years, has had very small classes, like 1-4 per class. I don't know how they can make a profit on this show at this rate.

chunky munky
Feb. 25, 2012, 12:18 PM
Arizona the last few years, has had very small classes, like 1-4 per class. I don't know how they can make a profit on this show at this rate.

They don't care. They make enough from Thermal to well cover both events.

NOMIOMI1
Feb. 25, 2012, 12:25 PM
Yep Arizona was something like 35 horses total? WOW that is no good.. I am sure they do care...

chunky munky
Feb. 25, 2012, 12:47 PM
They care enough to keep the dates so that nobody can come into that area and run against Thermal. Business.

Plumcreek
Feb. 25, 2012, 01:10 PM
My Colo trainer has always gone to Arizona the first 3 weeks and gets snowed or rained on often. That may have something to do with it. Thermal is a lot closer to more west coasters. Gas didn't used to be so expensive.

MHM
Feb. 25, 2012, 02:12 PM
Yep Arizona was something like 35 horses total?

For the whole A show?!? Wow! :eek:

When we used to run a bunch of one day B shows, I think we figured our break-even number of horses for a one day was about 42. And that was at our own farm! No rental or set up costs.

skippy60
Feb. 25, 2012, 02:18 PM
When does this Arizona Hits show start?????? (Coming from a girl who barely places/doesn't place at all in large classes) of course if I went, we would have to bring like 5 of the other girls because none of us have our own horses, and we are all part of a lesson barn... so that's 5-6 more horses for that show!!!! Wow, I wish gas weren't so expensive.

chunky munky
Feb. 25, 2012, 02:33 PM
For the whole A show?!? Wow! :eek:

When we used to run a bunch of one day B shows, I think we figured our break-even number of horses for a one day was about 42. And that was at our own farm! No rental or set up costs.

But I'll bet you didn't have 45 major national sponsors for those either :lol:

FAW
Feb. 25, 2012, 03:33 PM
Going on now. Go to the HITS web site for AZ dates

MHM
Feb. 25, 2012, 06:26 PM
But I'll bet you didn't have 45 major national sponsors for those either :lol:

No. Definitely not. :lol:

iccir
Feb. 25, 2012, 07:56 PM
I just don't know how Arizona can offer so much prize money!!! They are loosing so much on those shows. If they cut them and just did Thermal they would be so far ahead. Even if other shows ran in Texas ect. it just doesn't make any sense. If I was closer I would go to Arizona because I could probably cover a good part of my cost.

chunky munky
Feb. 25, 2012, 08:07 PM
Well, call mr. Struzzieri and explan to him that running Arizona doesn't make any sense. Hard to imagine how he has survived without our advice ;-)

3Dogs
Feb. 25, 2012, 08:09 PM
Here is the PITA re Arizona! There is a local person who really wants to start a show series to build AZ perhaps not AA but good support. But do you think Tom "the king" S will relinquish his dates even though he loses money and has NO exhibitors? Of course not. USEF for SHAME! I really hate the stranglehold of a few all and mighty show managers:no:

iccir
Feb. 25, 2012, 08:19 PM
Wow well I had no idea that was going on. It's his money to loose....but for the good of the sport, maybe there should be some changes. If someone else really wanted to start a development series I'm sure there would be interest as there isn't anyone really showing at Hits arizona anyway.

chunky munky
Feb. 25, 2012, 08:28 PM
Well, if they want to show in AZ in February they can go to HITS. Easy points, good money and having judged it before it seemed like kind of a fun place to show. And as iccir says, maybe there is a place for a nice development/unrecognized series. Or maybe there just really isn't anyone there to show that time of year. Not sure.

CruisingforGold
Feb. 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
I am at Ocala and classes seem to be pretty full. I am sure WEF is even bigger. This is like a 25 ring circus - so many divisions!