PDA

View Full Version : :/ Gigantic cankles and tall boots. Questions

jophoto
Feb. 24, 2012, 08:40 PM
I'm small (5'4" and around 130 pounds) but I have HUGE calves/ankles (for my size). Seriously, all my weight is in my calves/ankles. I have tried all types of tall boots - semi-custom sized - meaning, shoe size/tall/regular/wide fit, etc. - all combinations. THEY DON'T FIT.

I also have strange shaped legs.... yeah, I'm making myself sound hideous, right? haha I have found ONE pair of boots that could fit, but because my legs are curved outward (kinda bowed like, not true bowed legs, but from ankle to knee, they bow slightly outward with muscle), the top of the boot will stick out - hugely... like where it's supposed to look nice up by the side of your knee? Yeah, that will stick straight out to the side and looks HIDEOUS. I've bought boots and tried to break them in and they end up softening in the feet, ankles, etc., and then the tops continue to stick out to the sides hideously.

I'm 36, I show with my daughter here and there - local hunter/jumper shows, a little bit of equitation. I do not have any plans on having tall boots made custom, from scratch, cause that's the only way that I would look right in them. So I bought nice leather half chaps and paddock boots, shine them up really nice, and wear them to the local not-so-casual hunter shows. Do you think that's horrible? Anyone else feel they have to do that?

This is a picture - casual local jumpers show so don't mind the dirt/clothing/turnout... but they look much better when I oil them up. Do you see these half chaps/boot combo as being any sort of major problem for local shows?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150341415808657&set=a.87614883656.75738.506498656&type=3&theater

Seriously though, the only way I could possibly get boots to fit and not stick out at the top and look hideous on my oddly shaped legs is to have them "built" for me in person with someone cause even if we fit my cankles, the shape of my legs throws everything off. I feel like it is less distracting wearing the half chaps than it is to have strange sticking-out-at-the-top boots.

supershorty628
Feb. 24, 2012, 08:54 PM
Your photo doesn't work for me, but from what you described, that should be okay for local shows.

mercedespony
Feb. 24, 2012, 09:45 PM
Your pic didn't work for me either..

My daughter has the opposite problem.. she has chicken legs. The most bizarre, tall, skinny chicken legs I have ever seen. We can not and have never been able to buy a pair off the shelves that fit.

Since she is still growing and I'm not interested in paying for customs until she has finished growing, I buy an average pair of boots (used if I can find them!) and then take them to our local shoe/leather guy. He measures her chicken legs, takes out the zippers, cuts out some leather, and reinserts the zippers, for $75 a boot. Semi-customs on a budget :)

Since you are 36, and presumably done growing, perhaps you can find a local leather guy to fit your boots to your leg, at a decent price?

jophoto
Feb. 24, 2012, 10:25 PM
pic should work now....

Thanks you guys - I'm not sure where to start looking for someone to make custom. My only problem will still be, I will fluctuate in weight/muscle in my legs... but hopefully that won't be too much. I always hated having big calves/ankles... it really sucks to be so small up top and so big at the bottom! hahaha! I was laughing today when I had a show coat fitting and I had to have long, to hide my big butt haha!

HorseLuvr
Feb. 24, 2012, 10:33 PM
Your calves are not at all as bad as you made them sound!! I was expecting size 18-20 inch calves!! Yours do not look not that big at all! Don't have any boot suggestion for you, but I do wish you the best of luck finding something that fits!

jophoto
Feb. 24, 2012, 11:29 PM
Your calves are not at all as bad as you made them sound!! I was expecting size 18-20 inch calves!! Yours do not look not that big at all! Don't have any boot suggestion for you, but I do wish you the best of luck finding something that fits!

But I have to wear like an 18-inch half chap to fit the cankles haha... seriously, it's crazy - the shape is so off, and absolutely not normal. I've been at many tack shops that are absolutely stumped on how to sell me anything that fits. Many of them start out going - oh, you are tiny, there won't be any problems, and then I put something on and stand up and they always have this shocked look on their face. It's bizarre really... by the time I leave, they are confused and completely dumbfounded on what to do with me. It's a bit embarrassing for me... while I can eventually get something that fits the circumference of everything, the shape of my legs makes the boots go weird... arrgghh!

fargaloo
Feb. 25, 2012, 12:44 AM
From your description I was expecting to see Shrek or something!! I am disappointed; I was hoping to see some truly hideous cankles. I want my money back.

What do I know, but I think your chaps/paddock boots look perfectly acceptable for local shows unless the rules specifically state that tall boots must be worn. I know at the horse trials in my area, the rules permit half chaps as long as they are leather and the same colour as the paddock boots. You might want to put the spurs on over the chaps to make it less obvious.

You look perfectly lovely (and so does your horse!).

PiaffePlease
Feb. 25, 2012, 12:58 AM
Im venturing over from the Dressage forum because I saw "gigantic cankles" and had to look in. Girl, I could be your body double. I too have had your problem. All my weight is in the bottom half. The boots Ive found to work are mountain horse boots. I cant speak for the field boots, but Im sure they are probably similar to the dress boots. They have several calf sizes and heights to choose from. Mine were tight at first but they all are. They have broken in and I really like them. They have a little elastic on the calf too.

I think you would be fine showing in the paddock boots/half chaps because they are the same color and from far away, you probably cant tell they arent field boots.

ETA: I ride in tights because they are thinner and have less bulk around the elastic at the ankle. I also have some equissentials that dont have any elastic at all at the ankles. It really makes all the difference. I find the breeches that have the velcro closure are impossible to fit under boots for me.

HenryisBlaisin'
Feb. 25, 2012, 01:00 AM
Your calves/ankles aren't nearly as weird as mine! My calf muscle ties in practically at my heel, so finding boots to fit is a challenge I've worn half chaps and paddock boots for local stuff; they should be fine as long as the rules don't specifically state anything.

I finally bit the bullet and bought the Fuller Fillies tall boots and to my delight, they fit GREAT because they are stretchy in back along the zipper, so they fit right all the way down and really don't look different in the saddle than any other boots, which I was afraid of. They are decent quality; not top-of-the-line, but they fit my weird legs, so no complaints.

Sarabeth
Feb. 25, 2012, 01:27 PM
Pull-on field boots (does anybody still make them?) have a lot more room in the ankles in order to let your foot slide through, so they might work for you.

comingback
Feb. 25, 2012, 04:01 PM
My friend who is by no means overweight has wide calves and ankles just as you describe. Any boot she tried on rubbed her something horrible in the ankles...assuming she could get them on. She ended up buying a pair of Ariat Heritages in XXW (she found them new at a consignment shop, I personally have not been able to find them on the web).

The other option is to have boots that do fit you taken in at the top. You might want to try www.ridingbootrepair.com. You can ship your boots to them and maybe a gusset or some other adjustment at the top will help with what you are describing.

Good luck!

supershorty628
Feb. 25, 2012, 04:11 PM
Pull-on field boots (does anybody still make them?) have a lot more room in the ankles in order to let your foot slide through, so they might work for you.

I have pull ons :)

jophoto
Feb. 25, 2012, 06:46 PM
My friend who is by no means overweight has wide calves and ankles just as you describe. Any boot she tried on rubbed her something horrible in the ankles...assuming she could get them on. She ended up buying a pair of Ariat Heritages in XXW (she found them new at a consignment shop, I personally have not been able to find them on the web).

The other option is to have boots that do fit you taken in at the top. You might want to try www.ridingbootrepair.com. You can ship your boots to them and maybe a gusset or some other adjustment at the top will help with what you are describing.

Good luck!

hmmmmm... that may work! Yeah, I can take things being tight and then just stretch them and work them with time, but that weird shape creates that gap up at the top that then sticks out crazy... that's the major problem. Thanks!!!

Kestrel
Feb. 25, 2012, 07:25 PM
It may work for you to have them taken in, but also have an elastic gusset put in at the top as well. Then you can get rid of the extra leather, but not have them so tight that your circulation is cut off.

TequilaMockingbird
Feb. 25, 2012, 07:46 PM
I have the exact same problem and I've been avoiding the issue until I actually have to buy boots. I'm almost the identical size and weight too! My calves are normally sized at the top but are huge right where they connect to my ankles.

I have split zippers right at the ankle on the backside of boots while trying them on at the tack store. They're hard to zip up just above the ankle and then perfectly fine the rest of the way up. The minute I actually stood up in them, the zipper split at the ankle. Thank god I was able to get them off and the zipper worked fine afterwards. That was so embarsing that I just left the store.

But I wear a size Medium Short in Ariat half chaps, can sometimes wear narrow size shoes and wear a size 6 ring. I have a bizarre build.

sirensong4
Mar. 27, 2012, 06:43 PM
Get full customs. Srsly. I have weird legs too--very LONG but 17" calves--and for all the money i have spent over the years trying to make off-the-rack boots fit, I could have just bought 2-3 pairs of customs. Kicking myself. :dead: