PDA

View Full Version : Does Quiessence work?

dogbluehorse
Feb. 24, 2012, 06:05 PM
Have a very excitable chestnut mare that gets super exuberant in the jumper ring, someone recommended Quiessence so thought I would give it a try, anyone had any luck with it?

hequestrian
Feb. 24, 2012, 06:41 PM
I don't have personal experience with it but here is the link to Quiessence (http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/quiessence-17p.aspx?cm_vc=Search) on Smartpak I think there are a lot of reviews on there.

dogbluehorse
Feb. 24, 2012, 06:57 PM
Wow, you're not kidding, 337 reviews! Thanks for the suggestion.

Rainrider
Feb. 24, 2012, 07:03 PM
one word- yes love it

Hilltopfarmva
Feb. 24, 2012, 07:21 PM
Yes and I use it in conjunction with ThiaCal and it has worked on every horse I have used it on.

bjd2013
Feb. 25, 2012, 06:58 PM
It really does work! It was the only thing that would work on a horse I use to ride.

Plumcreek
Feb. 25, 2012, 07:26 PM
Quiessence has 16,000 mg of Magnesium in it. Anyone know how much Mg a horse can tolerate?

koppem10
Feb. 26, 2012, 12:00 AM
Use to use it for my retired Children's Hunter back in the day and I love it! He was so much easier to handle both on the ground and under saddle. Way less spook and just an overall better, more concentrated ride.

Hawks Nest
Feb. 26, 2012, 04:29 AM
I have found that it works best for TBs and have had great success with it on three different crazy TBs. One was retired due to unsoundness (an old injury to her hock) and was still crazy so she got it and it helped some. Another was ADHD and on a double dose and it kept him calmer and sounder. The most recent one is very nervous due to abuse and probably a crash when she was younger and it helps her be calmer to handle and ride. On the rare occasion it can make a horse more excitable but I have only seen that happen once.

besttwtbever
Feb. 26, 2012, 06:18 AM
I tried it as my 5 year old OTTB is on stall rest for a suspensory as he has gotten nearly unmanageable on his daily walks. So far it hasn't done a thing for him. It hasn't even taken the edge off. :no: He's exactly the same as he was before. I am assuming it's because he didn't have a Magnesium deficiency to begin with.

I know a lot of people have had good luck with it but I assume that's because their horses actually have somewhat of a deficiency.

Hilltopfarmva
Feb. 26, 2012, 08:56 PM
A calming supplement won't help you there. An ace tablet dissolved in a syringe and squirted on the tongue works great. I had a 17 hand 4 yr old ottb on stall rest for 10 months. The only thing that helps them hand walking in my experience is ace and a chain over their nose.

I tried it as my 5 year old OTTB is on stall rest for a suspensory as he has gotten nearly unmanageable on his daily walks. So far it hasn't done a thing for him. It hasn't even taken the edge off. :no: He's exactly the same as he was before. I am assuming it's because he didn't have a Magnesium deficiency to begin with.

I know a lot of people have had good luck with it but I assume that's because their horses actually have somewhat of a deficiency.

SendenHorse
Feb. 26, 2012, 09:19 PM
Worked well for a friends' hot horse that like to balk and play in schooling sessions, I don't know if you could use it for a specific purpose like a show though. that seems more like an exposure and training issue.

MagRestore is another brand I have heard a LOT about but never had any of my horses on Mg.

dogbluehorse
Feb. 27, 2012, 06:56 AM
Worked well for a friends' hot horse that like to balk and play in schooling sessions, I don't know if you could use it for a specific purpose like a show though. that seems more like an exposure and training issue.

MagRestore is another brand I have heard a LOT about but never had any of my horses on Mg.

I am not planning on using it just to show, planning on having her on it permanently, so she'll be more calm when jumping. I started it last week. Will be hard to separate out me learning how to ride/manage her better, versus the supplement working, but she was a bit more rideable this weekend. We showed Saturday and I'd say she won (the pulling match, 5 strides in a line that was supposed to be a bending 7 to an ugly swedish oxer with liverpool underneath!!), and on Sunday I'd say I did, at least she didn't run away with me!

FineAlready
Feb. 27, 2012, 11:59 AM

I agree with Hilltopfarm's response to this. Ace is your best friend with a TB on stall rest/hand walking. I had to do the long stall rest/rehab for a suspensory with my TB when he was four years old. I didn't think we would get through it (especially when I had to fully rehab him under saddle before he could be turned out in even a rehab paddock) but we did.

Ace him ANY TIME you are concerned about freshness during the rehab. Seriously. It feels wrong at first, but it is the right decision. I gave it via IM injection. And I am not someone who is cavalier about sedation. Eventually, you will learn when you need to Ace and when you don't. Mine did not need it for handwalks eventually, which you never would have believed if you had seen him initially.

And, yes, chain over the nose and make him walk with his head low. Don't be afraid to correct him, despite the injury. He will do more damage to himself habitually screwing around than he will do having a momentary freak out about being corrected.

OP - I have not used Quiessance, but have used SmartCalm, which is similar. Can't say that I've noticed a measurable difference.