PDA

View Full Version : Grand Prix soft shell coats: Mesh lining bunches up inside

lmk
Feb. 24, 2012, 07:47 AM
Anyone else experience this? I have two of these beautiful, custom jumper show coats with the mesh lining for my daughters, 13 and 16. After about 6 wears, the linings of both coats began to rub and bunch up inside, which makes the outside of the jacket look really awful. We have seen it on other riders on the showgrounds, but cannot find anyone else who has written about it. The coats are expensive, and although Grand Prix is willing to re-line them, again for us (thank you!), we feel silly because they say we are the only ones having an issue. The coats fit beautifully to begin with, so size is not the issue. We have had to buy two more show coats (Pikeur) while Grand Prix addresses the issue for us. Unfortunately, giving up the coats for 3 months each time to fix the issue is an inconvenience.

kmwines01
Feb. 24, 2012, 02:16 PM
Prefacing this by saying I don't have one and haven't been up close to one before...

Could there possibly be an issue with how you're caring for and treating the coat? When you get them back from Grand Prix I would ask for very detailed care instructions just in case there's a problem in that department.

lmk
Feb. 24, 2012, 06:25 PM
Great question, thank you. The care instructions are for dry clean only, which is what we have done. Grand Prix has replaced the lining with the same stretchy, mesh material one time, and after one wear this last time, (and no chance to clean it), it has done the same thing. The lining appears to creep up while being worn, and when the coat is taken off, there is a "rub" in the lining, with constriction of the surrounding material, making the outer shell pucker.

Both my children have different body types and wear different sizes. They were fitted by the store that we purchased the coats from, so I know the sizing was accurate. The whole thing is rather odd. I am thankful that Grand Prix is attending to the issue so helpfully and that the store we have been going to for many years is so supportive! I think that a traditional slick poly lining is the next step.