PDA

View Full Version : problems with T Boots

Starhouse
Feb. 23, 2012, 08:50 PM
I recently bought the EquiFit T-Boots (open fronts with velcro straps) (http://www.doversaddlery.com/equifit-t-boot-original-velcro%C2%AE-open-front-horse-boots/p/X1-04018/) for my horse. I rode her in them for about two weeks and then noticed that she had swelling on the front of her cannon bones right where the straps go. She is a 16.2hh TB with medium bone and I got her the M/L boots. The next size up would be too tall, and in my opinion the straps weren't any tighter over the front of her legs than the straps of other open front boots I've used were, but these are the only boots she has had a problem with. The swelling has almost disappeared now that I haven't used the boots for about a week. I am considering selling them but before I do, has anyone else had a similar issue?

Hilltopfarmva
Feb. 23, 2012, 09:05 PM
My T-boots have the leather tabs with the brass fitting and they fit super tight. Have not had that issue with them. I have fronts and hinds.

EdgeBrook
Feb. 23, 2012, 09:45 PM
mine are also, by far, the tightest boots I've put on (thankfully the elastic has stretched some since I bought them) but I've never had a problem. I only use them at shows though.

superD
Feb. 23, 2012, 09:46 PM
I just ordered the M/L for my 16.2 TB, I felt they were too small for him so I returned them and waiting for the XL. I will let you know how they fit him.

mhil@equifit.net
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:49 AM
We are occasionally asked for fitting tips and have come up with the following suggestions:

T-Boots fit differently than other boots, due to the cutting edge materials that EquiFit uses. These material meet the highest possible standards and provide unparalleled support, comfort and protection.

T-Boots conform to the horse's leg for a custom fit, every time, provide pressure-free support. The T-Boots should fit snugly to prevent dirt and debris build up to eliminate chafing. The T-Foam liners are breathable, neoprene free to prevent increased heat and perspiration, and absorb 97% of shock and vibration under impact.

- Unlike standard neoprene boots, T-Boots are designed to fit snugly

- For optimum elastic stretch when putting the T-Boots on, pull the elastic strap out and away from the leg before crossing it over the cannon bone

- Reacting to body heat and pressure, the T-Foam liners soften and mold to fit the exact anatomy of any horse's leg, creating a custom fit, every time its worn

- T-Foam is temperature-sensitive and in cold conditions T-Foam liners may loose pliability. If this occurs, warm the liners indoors or by using body heat before applying to the leg. As the T-Foam warms, it will soften, after a few minutes check the T-Boots and re-adjust if needed.

flyracing
Mar. 26, 2012, 02:53 PM
Are you taking them off immediately? The one time I had a problem, I accidentally left them on for about 2 hours. He swelled on the front with indents where the straps were. I took about 3 days to go down, but the vet said "no big deal". Never an issue since. you could try crossing the top two straps.

M. O'Connor
Mar. 26, 2012, 03:03 PM
I love the Equifit boots we use. I prefer the Velcro over the tabs, because they don't have to be so tight. Are you pulling them as you fasten them? Don't stretch them so far....otherwise it sounds like your horse might have quite a lot of bone, bigger than average. So look at getting the straps extended, if they are short on your horse.

The poster above who suggests taking them off quickly is quite right. In general, boots should not remain on a horse for extended periods.

superD
Mar. 26, 2012, 08:38 PM
I got the XL for my big guy, and they fit well. Haven't used them yet, since he now has a tendon injury. :no:

I will try these suggestions when he is ready to ride again.

Big_Grey_hunter
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:06 PM
If you do decide to sell them, PM me with the price.

ElisLove
Mar. 26, 2012, 10:20 PM
I have the same T-boots but a different problem. Mine were doing OK until I washed the lining. From then on they slid down horribly. I have put the straps on as tight as I dare, MUCH tighter than other boots and they still slide down horribly. I refuse to do them up any tighter for fear of having the exact problem you are having! The straps are so narrow (compared to your regular eskadron type boots) that I feel they will much easier cause that problem. So now those boots (that were probably less than a month old when I stopped using them) are sitting in my tack box unused and gathering dust.

cswoodlandfairy
Mar. 27, 2012, 11:13 AM
I had a pair with the tabs in M/L for my TB and they worked wonderfully and I never had a swelling issue. I did recently sell them and get a XL pair as my TB is fairly thick in the legs and the boot doesnt cover his whole leg. Waiting as we speak for them to arrive!

FLeventer
Mar. 27, 2012, 11:34 AM
I have the t-boots and I really like them but I wish that they had wider straps sometimes. I like the material and the quality. I do not have the removable liners, but I have washed them and they have not started slipping.

I have to say that those straps are a bit tight sometimes. I take them off right after I ride so no indents yet.