PDA

View Full Version : Hi...I know nothing about turnout in anywhere USA

ALLIGORY
Feb. 23, 2012, 08:16 PM
Why then is my poor mare so unhappy living in a big grass field in KY. ?
I have a previously"miserable" horse that was raised in small confines in typical S. Cal standards. Box stall, three squares, deep pine shavings and an hour or two outside in an area sufficient to buck, play and roll.
As the rain is rolling in tonight I'm feeling less sure about the whole if they are dry, and well fed they are content living outside. Everytime I see her she looks like Paris Hilton standing in line at Wal Mart.

CHT
Feb. 23, 2012, 08:30 PM
Prisonners who have been confined within walls for long periods sometimes find themselves nervous when they are once again in wide open spaces.

It takes time to adjust.

That does not mean that the small space was better, just that your horse got used to that state of captivity and is not used to the new way of being kept.

Guin
Feb. 23, 2012, 08:31 PM
Why do you think she's "miserable"? What sort of behavior is she exhibiting? Fence walking? Calling? Is she turned out all by herself?

saddleup
Feb. 23, 2012, 08:33 PM
Not every horse loves being out in the real world. I had a gelding who absolutely hated it, and was really only happy if he had access to a stall. I moved to horse property six years ago to accomodate him, and he was happy as a clam as long as he had unlimited access to a stall as well as the pasture. He was often the only horse in his stall, while the others were outside..his choice.

superD
Feb. 23, 2012, 10:51 PM
I know that both of my boys DO NOT want to be out any longer than 12 hours. The second the weather turns bad in any way (snow,rain even wind) they want in.

They will call, pace the fence or just stand at the gate staring at the barn looking all sad.....