PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ride in/tried an Albion Kontact H/J?

vxf111
Feb. 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
Anyone ride in/tried an Albion Kontact H/J?

Last year I bought the greenie his first "big boy saddle" and tried both the Albion Kontact Jewel and the Black Country Quantum. Liked the Albion plenty but the BC was love at first sit and I bought that.

Now the big hoss needs a new saddle as well (he's seen APPRECIABLE TOPLINE DEVELOMENT which is exciting news). Saddle fitter is bringing a BC Quantum and Albion Jewel for me to try but thinks the Albion H/J is going to work better for the horse (he needs a LOT of space in the rear gusset area under the cantle, a LOT). I normally like a shallower saddle, this is deeper.

Curious to know who has one or has tried one.

horsedoggirl
Feb. 23, 2012, 10:51 PM
I was not a fan. It puts legs in a very odd position and not very flattering. Plus it comes florescent orange and it doesn't darken that much so you still have an orange saddle. It's been awhile since I rode in one so I can't remember how comfy it was but I just remember/see legs that are good legs, not look good in it. It just puts them in the funkiest position I can hardly describe it.

cobsize
Feb. 23, 2012, 11:36 PM
Hi there,

I just got one--I've only ridden in it a handful of times. I'm very, very happy with the way it fits my wide, flat-backed horse. I tried a Black Country on him and it just didn't work--the shape wasn't flat enough. This fit behind his long shoulder, and is the only thing I've ridden him in that stays stable on his back. My trainer, who isn't one to think equipment generally makes all that much of a difference, commented that with the new saddle he is moving far more freely. So for him--wide, flat back, long shoulder, very little wither--it has been great so far.

I'm still transitioning, but getting used to it. It is wide--but mine has an extra wide tree. I think you might be able to get different seats, but mine is very flat and open. I like that and it helps me sit straighter instead of perching a little, which is great. I have short legs so got a straighter flap. They also shortened it an inch for me (no charge!) so it fits well. The seat is comfy so far. The position of the stirrup bars is different than my other saddle, I think, which I am still getting used to.

But it fits my horse great, is great quality, and I am happy with the purchase, for sure.

Oh--in terms of color: it comes in several different colors. Mine is the chocolate, which is the shade lighter than dark havana, I think. It's not my favorite color, but matches easily with other tack and is perfectly acceptable.

If you have specific questions, let me know--but I hope this helps!

cobsize
Feb. 23, 2012, 11:38 PM
Oh--it also comes with pretty big blocks, but they're velcro, so if you're like me and dislike them you can just take them off.