PDA

View Full Version : Hunter/Jumper Barns in Columbia, SC with Lesson Program

AmandaG82
Feb. 23, 2012, 04:36 PM
Greetings!

I am new to Columbia, SC and am looking for a barn to take lessons at. I was riding with a fantastic hunter/jumper trainer in AZ and was half-leasing a horse there. I do not have my own horse. It seems that many barns in the Columbia/Camden area are exclusive to boarders. I have been riding for 20 years and will eventually be buying a horse ... but before I buy a horse I need to find a barn and trainer! Can you please suggest some appropriate barns/trainers (and their phone number, if possible)?

It seems like Three Fox Farm is my best option but I am still waiting for them to call me back. It would be nice to know if I have other options. I've been searching the forums and sometimes a trainer or barn is mentioned that I have not yet contacted but there is no phone number posted and I can't find them online.

Right now I feel desperate to find any barn with a trainer and lesson program suited to intermediate/advanced riders. If I had options, I would prefer a barn with other adult riders, closer to Columbia, and opportunities to show without being a hardcore "show barn".

I very much appreciate any advice you can offer!
Amanda

AmandaG82
Feb. 24, 2012, 05:14 PM
Bumping this to get the attention of riders in Columbia/Camden! Thanks!

mroades
Feb. 24, 2012, 10:27 PM
they are all in hilton head for IEA regionals!

RumoursFollow
Feb. 24, 2012, 10:36 PM
Contact Emma Phillips and Adrian Mack at Creekside. I'm not sure how many lesson horses they have but I'm pretty sure they do have one or two. Love them both - they are good people. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Creekside-Farm/121240881256307 (although they are at IEA regionals like mroades said)

AmandaG82
Feb. 26, 2012, 04:07 PM
they are all in hilton head for IEA regionals!

Thanks for the info!

AmandaG82
Feb. 26, 2012, 04:25 PM
Contact Emma Phillips and Adrian Mack at Creekside. I'm not sure how many lesson horses they have but I'm pretty sure they do have one or two. Love them both - they are good people. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Creekside-Farm/121240881256307 (although they are at IEA regionals like mroades said)

Thanks for the recommendation! I had heard good things about Creekside but when I spoke to Adrianne this week it didn't sounds like they had any lesson horses. It didn't even sound like they have anything for half-lease at this time (I'd have to wait until summer). I'd love to check them out though.

TPF Hunter
Feb. 27, 2012, 09:48 AM
Many of the barns in the greater Columbia area only have a few lesson horses, or just lesson ponies.

Three Fox Farm is wonderful, but heard recently they have a waiting list and several of their lesson horses leave in the summer for summer camp elsewhere. I would keep calling, they have a wonderful program.

Creekside Farm also accepts lesson students that do not own a horse but from what I believe you have already mentioned that they don't have a great deal of lesson horses to choose from.

Camilla Crocker with Cameo Farms in Lexington has a ton of lesson horses available and a few may still be available for half lease. Her lesson horses are nice, and her schedule is very flexible as well. www.cameo-farms.com

My family has a barn with students and lesson ponies/horses but we are also full. I swear if a trainer wanted to make some good money, the demand for a lesson barn in Columbia seems to be huge right now.

Give Camilla a call, as I said, she has a lot of nice lesson horses to choose from and she is very knowledgable.

AmandaG82
Feb. 28, 2012, 05:22 PM
Many of the barns in the greater Columbia area only have a few lesson horses, or just lesson ponies.

Three Fox Farm is wonderful, but heard recently they have a waiting list and several of their lesson horses leave in the summer for summer camp elsewhere. I would keep calling, they have a wonderful program.

Creekside Farm also accepts lesson students that do not own a horse but from what I believe you have already mentioned that they don't have a great deal of lesson horses to choose from.

Camilla Crocker with Cameo Farms in Lexington has a ton of lesson horses available and a few may still be available for half lease. Her lesson horses are nice, and her schedule is very flexible as well. www.cameo-farms.com

My family has a barn with students and lesson ponies/horses but we are also full. I swear if a trainer wanted to make some good money, the demand for a lesson barn in Columbia seems to be huge right now.

Give Camilla a call, as I said, she has a lot of nice lesson horses to choose from and she is very knowledgable.

Thanks so much for the detailed information. I agree that a lesson barn near Columbia sounds quite profitable!

SCRigaletto
Mar. 3, 2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the recommendation Rumour!

I train at Creekside and wish we had more lesson horses! Unfortunately we are full with boarders and horses in training with a waiting list as i'm sure Adrian told you when you guys spoke.

Definitely keep checking back with Three Fox...Adrianne who runs the lesson program over there is great.

Good luck!!!