PDA

View Full Version : Aiken's Horse Show in the Woods

TwoDreamRides
Feb. 23, 2012, 10:33 AM
Didn't get any responses on the Hunting board, so I guess I will try here...

Can one of you fill in a Show Hunter on what to expect? I am really interested in going to the Horse Show in the Woods this year with my boy to compete on Friday but don't really know what to expect. I would trailer down Thursday night - where to stable that I can ride in? Can someone recommend a local braider (and approx. cost?)?

Also - I went through the pictures to see if it's something I could do. It all looks do-able to me, BUT is there a ditch on course?

Please, please - someone walk me through what to expect so I can decide if it's a good fit for me!

Duramax
Feb. 23, 2012, 10:53 AM
Do it! :yes: Its my all time favorite horse show! It has a very Gatsby-esque feel to it with the tents, the spectators dressed to the max and the fact that you have to hack into the Woods.

Friday is pretty quiet, most people use it as a warm up for Sat & Sun. I recommend showing on Fri so that the horses can get used to the atmosphere before the crowds come Friday (my horse almost had kittens over the big sponsor's tent and the hordes inside it!). Saturday is the show hunter day, a lot of A horses and riders are there. Sunday is the foxhunter day (horse and rider have to have hunted x amount of times together to qualify- 5 I think?).

The arena footing is great- b/c its Aiken its sand with beautiful painstakingly manicured grass on top although by Sunday afternoon most of the grass is gone from most lines and its just sand. The jumps are all meticulously presented- lots of brush, great groundlines and very inviting.

In the last 2 years I've gone there has not been a ditch. In the handy hunter classes and foxhunter classes there are small banks (up & down) that are very inviting and doable. Last year there was a small xc type log between narrow fences that was a bit of a "question" for the horses. In one of the huge foxhunter flat classes the 10 horses that were asked to stay in the arena were required to be led over the log- my horse refused to walk over it! :lol:

Early am you're allowed to handwalk your horse in the arena and let it see and sniff the jumps. My horse tried to eat all the shrubs. :rolleyes:

You have to park downtown or at one of the Hitchcock trailer lots and hack in but you're allowed 1 car per horse. We load up water buckets, water jugs filled with water, hay, and trunks, etc then stake out a tree to tie to.

There are tons of places to stable in Aiken, check out Highfields, Jumping Branch or Full Gallop and there are lots of other smaller farms closer to downtown too. The master of Aiken Hounds- Linda McClain is probably the best source for finding close stabling- if you stable downtown you can just hack into the Woods without having to trailer over then hack in. (Trailer parking can get crowded on Sat & Sun.)

The bottom half of this album has pics from last year's show: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.767969266398.2359043.12718645&type=3&l=be9219ee3f

My 5 yr old drafty x was 2nd out of 47 horses in one of his classes- wahoo! :D

Shawn McMillen is the photographer and has pics from the last few years on his site: www.shawnmcmillen.com

Absolutely do it! You'll have a blast! :yes:

TwoDreamRides
Feb. 23, 2012, 10:59 AM
All right ... I think I am in! Now if I can just find someone to come with me to "groom"/drive the truck in. Otherwise, I am all on my lonesome.

I am aiming my boy at the International Derbies this year (first one planned for June) and I think this would be great practice.

We school cross-country so I know he's okay with sunken roads/banks but we've always been squirrely about the ditches. Didn't want to trailer all that way to get the brakes slammed on ;)

Now ... braider?

Duramax
Feb. 23, 2012, 12:18 PM
I'll be there grooming for friends, would be happy to tote your stuff in too! Linda McLean would be the one to ask about braiders too.

EmJ628
Feb. 23, 2012, 03:19 PM
This looks AWESOME! New goal for next year. How fun!

Giddy-up
Feb. 23, 2012, 03:28 PM
I just visited a friend in Aiken for the 1st time & I learned about this show. I think it looks really cool & would like to come back to see it!

Kachina
Feb. 23, 2012, 06:00 PM
This show is just magical. I've never seen anything like it anywhere. Tailgating ringside is so fun. I think it's the only time that cars are allowed down in Hitchcock Woods.

paint hunter
Feb. 23, 2012, 06:15 PM
Do it! :yes: Its my all time favorite horse show! It has a very Gatsby-esque feel to it with the tents, the spectators dressed to the max and the fact that you have to hack into the Woods.

The arena footing is great- b/c its Aiken its sand with beautiful painstakingly manicured grass on top although by Sunday afternoon most of the grass is gone from most lines and its just sand. The jumps are all meticulously presented- lots of brush, great groundlines and very inviting.

The bottom half of this album has pics from last year's show: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.767969266398.2359043.12718645&type=3&l=be9219ee3f

Shawn McMillen is the photographer and has pics from the last few years on his site: www.shawnmcmillen.com

What a beautiful site for a horse show! And the fences look so "natural". Would love to show there and I wish we had something comparable on the left coast.

S A McKee
Feb. 23, 2012, 06:24 PM
Pics from last year
http://www.tristatehunterjumper.com/index.php?view=detail&id=63&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=60&lang=en

horsegal301
Apr. 5, 2012, 05:11 PM

Friday is pretty quiet, most people use it as a warm up for Sat & Sun. I recommend showing on Fri so that the horses can get used to the atmosphere before the crowds come Friday (my horse almost had kittens over the big sponsor's tent and the hordes inside it!). Saturday is the show hunter day, a lot of A horses and riders are there. Sunday is the foxhunter day (horse and rider have to have hunted x amount of times together to qualify- 5 I think?).

In the last 2 years I've gone there has not been a ditch. In the handy hunter classes and foxhunter classes there are small banks (up & down) that are very inviting and doable. Last year there was a small xc type log between narrow fences that was a bit of a "question" for the horses. In one of the huge foxhunter flat classes the 10 horses that were asked to stay in the arena were required to be led over the log- my horse refused to walk over it! :lol:

Early am you're allowed to handwalk your horse in the arena and let it see and sniff the jumps. My horse tried to eat all the shrubs. :rolleyes:

You have to park downtown or at one of the Hitchcock trailer lots and hack in but you're allowed 1 car per horse. We load up water buckets, water jugs filled with water, hay, and trunks, etc then stake out a tree to tie to.

There are tons of places to stable in Aiken, check out Highfields, Jumping Branch or Full Gallop and there are lots of other smaller farms closer to downtown too. The master of Aiken Hounds- Linda McClain is probably the best source for finding close stabling- if you stable downtown you can just hack into the Woods without having to trailer over then hack in. (Trailer parking can get crowded on Sat & Sun.)

Couldn't help myself - here's one of your pictures doctored up a bit in the couple minutes of downtime I had (not perfect, but slightly less of a saddle mark) - http://i.imgur.com/tNEsP.png