PDA

View Full Version : NYC -must see/do

Backstage
Feb. 15, 2012, 07:26 AM
I'm going to NYC for a few days next month With a friend and am compiling a must see/do list. Any tips?

Natalie A
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:05 AM
So much depends on what you like to do - there's basically something for everyone.

If you like cultural things, plenty of museums/shows (TKTS booth or just going straight to the box office is great for seeing shows for deep discounts, or playbillclub.com for discount codes for some shows). Same with museums, lots to choose from depending on what you like.

If you want to see the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island but don't want to go there, the Staten Island Ferry is free and takes you right past them.

But just wandering around and exploring is sometimes the best part of NYC... you never know what you'll encounter!

Blugal
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:11 AM
I went as a total tourist & bought the one of those ticket packs to the most popular attractions. I think we went to all of them. It included a boat tour that went out to the Statue of Liberty and back, starting at sunset, so the return trip was looking at the city over the water with all the lights on. It was well worth whatever we paid.

Definitely try to get a 1/2 price Broadway ticket, we did that and it was great.

We didn't plan our trip very much, but we did grab a Fodor's or whatever guide from the local library before leaving and flipped through it to see what would interest us. We took that book with us and would check things in our room the night before, depending on what we felt like doing and the weather. One night we followed a restaurant recommendation, and it was just fabulous!

Don't forget to bring earplugs for night time, the honking may drive you crazy at first!

KBC
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:34 AM
Don't miss visiting grand central station, go when it is really quiet, amazing place. If you are lucky there will be a busker playing and the acoustics are awesome:D

betonbill
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:38 AM
Support the carriage industry and take a ride or at the very least go out and show your support of them.

867-5309
Mar. 17, 2012, 12:14 PM
Grand Central Station is absolutely beautiful. Check it out if you are nearby.

The last time I went to the Statue of Liberty the security (airport style screening, xray, the whole nine yards) to get on the ferry took TWO hours, a lot of standing in line in the freezing cold. If you are limited on time definately take the Staten Island Ferry to see it.

From Grand Central to Times/Square & Fifth Avenue walk, St Patricks cathedral, Apple Store, FAO Schwarz toy store, central park, Tiffanys, Rock Center, Times Square. It's a good walk on a nice day but all in the same area sort of.

I know it's bad and I am sure someone will yell at me but I have a great Rolex (Fauxlex) I love that I bought on the street for $20 going strong in it's third year. Don't get one w/gold on it that will flake off quickly.

dangerbunny
Mar. 17, 2012, 01:00 PM
Metropolitan Museum of Art! amazing place, I could spend days in there.

Simkie
Mar. 17, 2012, 01:04 PM
If you want to do the Empire State building (which IS very cool) pay the extra $$ for the express tickets. You bypass all of the looooooooong lines and it is so worth it.

AliCat
Mar. 17, 2012, 01:16 PM
If you want to do the Empire State building (which IS very cool) pay the extra $$ for the express tickets. You bypass all of the looooooooong lines and it is so worth it.

If you want a great view of the Empire State Building and the rest of the skyline, go to Top of the Rock instead. Less people, cleaner, faster.

PhoenixFarm
Mar. 17, 2012, 01:55 PM
Metropolitan Museum of Art! amazing place, I could spend days in there.

Ditto! The Met is a must. I also love going to the Cloisters.

Def. see a show if you can, and I love a walk through Central Park. (A ride in a carriage is good too).

Bogie
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:47 PM
Walk through Central Park, have high tea at the Plaza, visit the museums (the Met and MOMA are my favorites), visit Greenwich Village. Half price tickets are great - there is so much wonderful theater in NY.

Some of the smaller museums that I enjoy are the Morgan Library museum and the Tenement museum. If you can't stand the lines to visit Ellis Island, it gives you some insight into what it was like to live on the lower east side of NY (I found it particularly interesting because my grandfather grew up on Ludlow street, immigrating from Russia in 1906).

If you like authentic deli food, go to the 2nd Avenue deli (Katz's is good too but has gotten quite touristy). The brisket is to die for there.

A great place for coffee and light meals is Le Pain Quotidienne, it's a chain of French bakeries and the food and coffee are wonderful. We've found them to be very consistent and delicious. Especially the bread.

I grew up in NYC and so I guess I do fewer of the tourist things but I still enjoy walking around the city and exploring some of the nichey shops.

desilu
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:53 PM
We really enjoyed this food walking tour of Greenwich Village. Very informative and a lot of food.

http://www.foodsofny.com/greenwichvillage.php

Also check out the Chelsea Market. It was an old Nabisco plant and now a very interesting market.

Alagirl
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:12 PM
well, maybe another high rise is better than the Empire State building, but you really gotta go there. No matter how touristy. It's a have to. :yes:

Another neato place is Battery Park, very southern tip of Manhattan.

Naturally Statue of Liberty is a must as well.
I mean, how can you visit NYC and not see THAT!

And if you are so inclined, the temperatures are just right, go say hi to our carriage friends at Central Park.

saddleup
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:14 PM
Get tickets for "Wicked"! Loved that show.

Tha Ridge
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:18 PM
We really enjoyed this food walking tour of Greenwich Village. Very informative and a lot of food.

http://www.foodsofny.com/greenwichvillage.php

Also check out the Chelsea Market. It was an old Nabisco plant and now a very interesting market.

If you did the Greenwich Village food tour, you were literally just a few steps away from my front door. I'm right around the corner from Murray's (dangerous to my wallet!) and see the food tours all the time.

If you browse my blog (linked in my signature) and click the "New York" category, there are a bunch of posts about some of my favorite things to do, places to go and eat, in the city. (From someone who lives here full-time.)

vacation1
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:25 PM
Central Park, a Broadway show, Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty, St. Patrick's (naturally :)), and pick any neighborhood and walk around shopping/gawking. Lots of people love to do this in one of the cuter areas, but I get a kick out of Midtown's massiveness. The skyscrapers are just so impressive and so quintissentially New York.

Prime Time Rider
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:34 PM
Central Park for sure, the Metroplitan Mueum of Art, SoHo is a fun neighborhood with interesting shops.