PDA

View Full Version : eBay Seller Fees?? Avoid somehow??

Peggy
Feb. 14, 2012, 08:29 PM
Actually HR since the item in question is a saddle but I'll try here first.

What sort of fees do you pay as a seller? Is there any way to avoid/minimize these fees. According to this page (http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html) the seller pays an insertion fee (tiny) and a final value fee (% of what it sells for, which would be roughly $50 for an auction and $40 for a fixed price for this item). Was there a time when sellers didn't pay a cut? Is there something I'm missing here? Quite possible, given that it's the second day of a new semester.

Back story. A friend asked me to sell her saddle. I listed it on Bits and Barter (main and FB page) and a potential buyer (let's call this person PB) contacted me and wants the saddle, but wants to buy it via eBay to protect both of us. I suggested PayPal to PB as a viable option which worked before when selling a saddle for roughly 3x as much as this saddle. PB insists on eBay. PB says that the only fee associated with selling on eBay is the listing fee and PB has never paid a cut. I can always increase the price of the saddle by enough to cover the difference, but now I'm kind of curious.

danceronice
Feb. 14, 2012, 08:41 PM
Um...no, there's no way to avoid the fee. That's how eBay makes money--by charging the people selling items. In fact, you can increasingly not pay an insertion fee on a basic auction (no 'buy it now' option, minimal bells-and-whistles) and ONLY pay the percentage of the sale.

eBay owns Paypal. There is NO REASON you have to list it as an auction for them to pay you unless they are planning to "return" it as "damaged", get the money back, and screw up your eBay seller rating in the bargain.

OTOH, you can list it on eBay for bare bones, do NOT put a 'buy it now' option, and let them run the risk of losing it in a bidding war to someone else.

ohrebecca
Feb. 14, 2012, 10:44 PM
Yeah, no way to get around the seller fees. I'm confused as to why buyer gets to dictate the avenue of the sale, though. I'd refuse to do it the hard way (their way).

dangerbunny
Feb. 14, 2012, 10:51 PM
weird, as a buyer if you use paypal you get the same protection as if you bought through ebay with paypal. Seller fees on ebay are a small listing fee and then percentage of the sale (I think 10% but has been a long time since I checked)

You could tell PB they are wrong about fees and ask them to cover your additional ebay fees, or just go through paypal.

Liberty
Feb. 15, 2012, 05:54 AM
...PB insists on eBay. PB says that the only fee associated with selling on eBay is the listing fee and PB has never paid a cut. I can always increase the price of the saddle by enough to cover the difference, but now I'm kind of curious.

Send PB (as in "P"ain in the "B"utt) the following link:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fvf.html

(Note that sellers now also pay a Final Value Fee on shipping costs.)

I don't sell stuff for friends on eBay. Way too risky for a number of reasons, and the big potential for it being nothing but a hassle.

WB Mom
Feb. 15, 2012, 06:56 AM
FWIW, the last saddle I bought was listed on ebay. The seller was a well known (to me) tack store on the east coast, with excellent feedback, so no worries there.
I simply emailed her and told her my budget for the saddle and requested a Paypal invoice instead of bidding and going through ebay. We worked out an agreeable price. She sent the invoice, which I paid. I got the saddle, and the sale did not go through anything but Paypal. Worked well for this situation.
Just my 2 cents worth!