PDA

View Full Version : Braiding Wire

enjoytheride
Feb. 1, 2012, 09:24 AM
I saw this product from a tack store and I thought it was an interesting idea. Although craft wire would probably be cheaper.

http://braideez.com/

FlightCheck
Feb. 1, 2012, 09:58 AM
Interesting!

I'm not a "new gadget" person, but these look like they would be much easier to use when teaching someone how to braid for the first time!

pryme_thyme
Feb. 1, 2012, 10:00 AM
Oh I found these months ago, they are genious! I despise braiding with wool.

Though, these are not available in my local tack shops so I would have to buy online. Shipping to Canada is more than the product cost thus, I did find black coated copper wire at Home Depot and Michael's craft store, much cheaper too!

Oberon13
Feb. 1, 2012, 10:07 AM
These look awesome! I love the fact that once it's braided, you can shape the braid however you want and it'll stay. Hmmmm...I might need to try them. Seems like they'll speed the process up considerably.

JFCeventer
Feb. 1, 2012, 10:09 AM
Saw these at the Equine Affaire this year and had to try them. My horse is a draft cross and has a ridiculous mane. I just recently figured out how to use a needle and thread to make it look decent but that takes forever. The thing with these is that they are bendable so you can braid it in and then mold it into any shape you want which is really cool. Also, braiding the night before isn't an issue anymore because if the braids are mishaped you can just squish them back.

They're easy in, easy out and they look nice. If you want to spend a little bit more time removing them (i.e.-not cutting them) then they are 100% reusable. Also, if your horse has a normally pulled mane length, they are long enough that you can cut them in half and get double the amount of wires.

I maybe wouldn't use them for a championship but for regular recognized events, they look perfectly decent.

faybe
Feb. 1, 2012, 10:10 AM
I don't know, we got a pack for free from somewhere and I tried to use them this past weekend. I wasn't super impressed- I couldn't get the braid as tight as I can with coated yarn or even plain yarn. Granted, it was the morning of dressage and I didn't spend a lot of time fiddling with it. I was going to try again NOT at a show and see if I could get the hang of them. I agree that the idea of being able to manipulate the shape of the braid is appealing.

MightyBobbyMagee
Feb. 1, 2012, 10:15 AM
It took me a couple of tries to get them tight enough, but once I figured out a method, I thought they looked great. Used them for a hunter show last year, and I'll definitely use them this year for eventing.

ETA: Here's a pic (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ajVD1CnAB64/TkA7AaSbCfI/AAAAAAAAAco/Cv_I2iXO0Zs/s1600/Photo1066.jpg) showing that they look nice even with my considerable lack of skillz.

deltawave
Feb. 1, 2012, 10:29 AM
I was also not impressed. Perhaps it's just a learning curve thing, but I am a very fast braider and just could not get my braids to come out tight enough with the wire. I also didn't find that they looked better or were easier to put up/finish. I did like how easily they came out. :lol: The one thing where I'd say they do add something is in the ability to mush them around and have things stay put.

I use rubber bands, so this product did nothing to make the job quicker, easier or look better. Fail. Nice idea and probably would be an improvement on yarn or waxed thread, but I abandoned THAT form of torture a LONG time ago! :lol:

FLeventer
Feb. 1, 2012, 12:04 PM
Those look like they would take me longer. Takes me 20 mins max to to a mane with button braids and waxed thread.

lcw579
Feb. 1, 2012, 12:13 PM
Saw these at Pony Club champs. Lady hawking them was very quick on her fake mane. I'm not convinced that I would be any quicker than with yarn. Coming out is supposed to be easier but I'm sure I'd find a way to complicate it. We also figured we could find similar wire at a craft store and save money.

A few of the pc kids did come home with the multi-colored set.

Duckz
Feb. 1, 2012, 12:34 PM
The die-hard hunter princess in me is twitching :lol: I don't even think the braids in the promotional pics look that great. I remember seeing a thread about these before and the reviews were mixed. I can't even imagine how braiding with this wire stuff would be faster than using waxed thread and a needle. For those of you that use it, how long does it take you to finish braiding a mane?

ETA - in the time it took me to write this, a couple other people posted pretty much the same thing ;) Needle and Threaders, unite!

Larbear
Feb. 1, 2012, 12:49 PM
The die-hard hunter princess in me is twitching :lol:

The slacker in me is twitching, I roach instead (no more braiding for me)...roachers unite! :D

MunchingonHay
Feb. 1, 2012, 12:56 PM
I like to use rubber bands! gasp horror !!

ETA : I do button braids not hunter style braids.

Duckz
Feb. 1, 2012, 01:08 PM
I like to use rubber bands! gasp horror !!

ETA : I do button braids not hunter style braids.

I do button braids as well, but I transfered all my hunter neurosis to my new sport :yes: The first time I did button braids I used yarn, then I quickly discovered the joys of a needle and thread. I tried going the rubber band route for button braids but they just got in my way.

Koniucha
Feb. 1, 2012, 05:11 PM
To the people using a needle and thread, what type of thread do you use? I am wanting to try that next time to see if it would speed things up.

faybe
Feb. 1, 2012, 06:02 PM
I like waxed thread for sew-ins, but just use yarn for hunter-type braids. I learned to do sew ins from the EN Jog Up column, very helpful!

http://eventingnation.com/home/2010/04/the-sunday-jog-up-tips-from-a-groom-13.html

Duckz
Feb. 1, 2012, 07:11 PM
To the people using a needle and thread, what type of thread do you use? I am wanting to try that next time to see if it would speed things up.

This stuff: http://www.bitofbritain.com/Waxed_Braiding_Thread_p/0245.htm

Finn'sMom
Feb. 2, 2012, 08:45 AM
I like waxed thread for sew-ins, but just use yarn for hunter-type braids. I learned to do sew ins from the EN Jog Up column, very helpful!

http://eventingnation.com/home/2010/04/the-sunday-jog-up-tips-from-a-groom-13.html

This makes it look relatively easy, and the braids come out perfect! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for the link!

FLeventer
Feb. 2, 2012, 11:31 AM
I use quilting thread and blunt quilting needles ( I would not really call them needles but instead a metal stick with one end that has a hoop and the other end that has an end that no matter how hard you cannot impale yourself). Its not really "waxed" but it is cheap and I have no slippage. I can get five rolls at 200 yards each for the price of one of those from BoB, so just makes sense to me. It is also super strong.

I do the EN way of braiding as well. I was super surprised when they came out with the video because it would have helped when I was learning. Another easy method that just requires yarn/thread and a pull through for button braids is the Dutton method. You can find it on YouTube and it is beyond quick. I have not tried it yet because I keep my manes too short.

All it requires is braiding in the thread or yarn. Tie a knot at the end to secure the braid. Then you tie the braid in a knot and pull through the end to shape it. Then tie a knot around the braid. Looks pretty amazing.

lcw579
Feb. 2, 2012, 11:37 AM
All it requires is braiding in the thread or yarn. Tie a knot at the end to secure the braid. Then you tie the braid in a knot and pull through the end to shape it. Then tie a knot around the braid. Looks pretty amazing.

That's how I've been doing it for around 40 years. :)

Far_North_Equestrian
Feb. 2, 2012, 02:41 PM
The slacker in me is twitching, I roach instead (no more braiding for me)...roachers unite! :D

I'm a good braider, but ever since getting Felix, the fjord-beast I've been a roaching convert. I LOVE it, so much better! One braid, and I'm done (forlock isn't roached).