PDA

View Full Version : Ambitious young rider looking for horses to ride/bring along in MA (Also, barn work?)

eventing_kp101
Jan. 31, 2012, 09:43 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm a young rider just recently moved to the Carlisle/Chelmsford (MA) area with my mare, and I am looking for some riding opportunities with other horses. I was wondering if anyone had (or knew of anyone who has) any horses that they would like to be ridden/competed for them, or worked more often? Or perhaps you have a green horse that you would like to be given some more milage? I am situated in Carlisle, MA so that sort of area would be ideal, although I will consider surrounding areas depending on the distance. I have experience with young/green horses, OTTBs, etc and am a confident rider. I am not yet financially set to own more than one horse (having just moved here) but would certainly love to ride some young (or adult) horses to bring along in the meantime and to help further my riding experience and education.
If anyone also has ANY horse related work, I would be very appreciative of any opportunities. I can do barn chores, lunge horses, exercise horses, barn sit, etc. Please PM me if you have or know of anything! Also PM me if you would like any more info on myself, my experience, ambitions, current horse (and past horses), etc. I have trained/bought along horses for other people in the past, and sale prepped horses also.
Thank you so much.

Polydor
Jan. 31, 2012, 10:05 PM
You can check out the "Horseless or Riderless" thread that is stickied at the top of the "Off Course" section. Fairly long thread but you might be able to find something in there.

Good luck!

P.

eventing_kp101
Jan. 31, 2012, 10:24 PM
You can check out the "Horseless or Riderless" thread that is stickied at the top of the "Off Course" section. Fairly long thread but you might be able to find something in there.

Good luck!

P.

Thank you so much! I will have a look :)

ohrebecca
Feb. 1, 2012, 12:14 AM
Check your local craigslist, too!

frugalannie
Feb. 1, 2012, 08:21 AM
And maybe post in the Area 1 website.

JanWeber
Feb. 1, 2012, 08:45 AM
Your best bet would be a working student position with an upper level eventer. Many in Area I go south for the winter, but ask around. If you haven't successfully competed at the upper levels, it's hard to build a clientele. Maybe call the local Pony Club DC and see if they need someone to teach at the lower levels?

eventing_kp101
Feb. 1, 2012, 08:52 PM
Your best bet would be a working student position with an upper level eventer. Many in Area I go south for the winter, but ask around. If you haven't successfully competed at the upper levels, it's hard to build a clientele. Maybe call the local Pony Club DC and see if they need someone to teach at the lower levels?

Thanks everyone! I will look on Craiglist and post on the Area I page. JanWeber, do you know of anyone in my sort of area? Or perhaps of any top dressage trainers who I might also be able to get a spot with? I have not been able to find many individual upper level eventers, or even ones with their own facility, in my area. There are a couple of eventing barns, but neither have anything for me. I will get in contact with my local PC, thank you.

JanWeber
Feb. 1, 2012, 10:44 PM
Go volunteer at local recognized dressage shows and events to scout out who is out there in your area. Not much happening in Area I until Spring (or the New England version of Spring), but it will help you lay a foundation for networking with people who may know people.

Starhouse
Feb. 1, 2012, 10:45 PM
Also check out the bulletin board over at Equinesite.com, which is more local for the New England area. This thread may be particularly helpful: http://discus.equinesite.net/discus/messages/3/46691.html?1327953919

Ember
Feb. 2, 2012, 01:56 AM
I would edit your post it seems an awful lot like an advertisement to me, at least the looking for paid work parts.

eventing_kp101
Feb. 3, 2012, 06:44 PM
Go volunteer at local recognized dressage shows and events to scout out who is out there in your area. Not much happening in Area I until Spring (or the New England version of Spring), but it will help you lay a foundation for networking with people who may know people.

Thank you! I'll definitely try and get out to some shows and meet some people :)

eventing_kp101
Feb. 3, 2012, 06:45 PM
I would edit your post it seems an awful lot like an advertisement to me, at least the looking for paid work parts.

Oh oops, I didn't mean for it to sound like an advertisement! I've edited it, is it better? Thanks :)

eventing_kp101
Feb. 3, 2012, 06:45 PM
Also check out the bulletin board over at Equinesite.com, which is more local for the New England area. This thread may be particularly helpful: http://discus.equinesite.net/discus/messages/3/46691.html?1327953919

Thank you! I will definitely check it out, thanks!

TB7
Feb. 23, 2012, 05:02 PM
How far are you willing to travel? My horse down in Middleboro needs to be ridden more :D

lucky dog farm
Feb. 23, 2012, 11:24 PM
Well I live in Carlisle. Do you ride at Barking dog and board down the street? Didn't I meet you with your mare? If so, I have the ginormous Appy as well as 5 others.

eventing_kp101
Feb. 24, 2012, 11:14 AM
Well I live in Carlisle. Do you ride at Barking dog and board down the street? Didn't I meet you with your mare? If so, I have the ginormous Appy as well as 5 others.

Replied to your PM :)

eventing_kp101
Feb. 24, 2012, 12:49 PM
How far are you willing to travel? My horse down in Middleboro needs to be ridden more :D

Replied to your PM also :)