PDA

View Full Version : Cross post: Patent tops on boots

Big_Grey_hunter
Jan. 31, 2012, 11:54 AM
I already asked this in hunters, but I"m hoping to do low level dressage and eventing, so I wanted to ask here too.

Last summer I bought a pair of custom boots. They arrived late, a touch too big in the calf and barely tall enough. I was assured they would not drop very much. Because they were late, I would have had to skip several shows if I sent them back to be fixed, so I stupidly believed they wouldn't drop much and kept them. Of course, they dropped almost 1.5 inches and are now ridiculously too short.

The company said they can put patent tops on a for a few hundred dollars. Has anyone done this? I really don't want to, but the boots are catching on the boot of my saddle flap when I ride, so I either need to get tops added or buy new custom boots. What do the boots look like from a distance? Is it acceptable to show in boots with patent tops?
If anyone has pictures from far away and up close, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thank you

yellowbritches
Jan. 31, 2012, 12:00 PM
I'm sure you can get away with it and no one will really care.

Traditionally, however, I believe patent leather tops are supposed to be reserved for female hunt members who have their colors...someone correct me if I am wrong. Of course, saying that, brown tops are supposed to be for men with their colors, but I know more men who ride in brown tops who don't even hunt than men who do! :lol: Soooo, it probably isn't a big deal.

FitToBeTied
Jan. 31, 2012, 12:13 PM
Patent tops are worn by women with their colors in a hunt.

Technically I could wear my scarlet coat with my tan boot tops from hunting but I won't because I wouldn't feel I had earned the right in eventing.

NBN
Jan. 31, 2012, 12:35 PM
Ugh! I got new boots last year as well and they look fine standing on the ground, but when I ride they look too short to me. Drives me nuts! Mine aren't getting caught on my saddle, I just don't like the way they look. I wish there was a special sock with a spanish cut to wear when our boots get too low :winkgrin:

Sorry about your boots, especially not fair for you since you went custom :(

jconnors
Jan. 31, 2012, 01:52 PM
What about adding some exotic leather to the tops. You could use them for cross county. Or even if you did a black alligator leather. I thing that would look cool.

CANTEREOIN
Jan. 31, 2012, 03:13 PM
Patent leather and brown tops do mean something and is not just a fashion statement. Yes, eventing does not follow the rules in fox hunting but there are enough eventers who also fox hunt that view Patent Leather and/or Brown tops as an honor earned.

I just earned my colors and can not wait to incorporate my colors with my eventing gear. It's an honor.

Since you asked... add a band of decent leather to increase the height but don't add patent leather or brown... it wouldn't be "right".

Jazzy Lady
Jan. 31, 2012, 03:29 PM
Eventing isn't the hunt field, so I think it's fine. However, I wouldn't go hunting in them.

As long as you follow the rules in eventing, that's all that matters. Sure, people who hunt may think you're a poser, but because you're not doing it in the hunt field, who cares?

wildlifer
Jan. 31, 2012, 03:39 PM
Eventing is not foxhunting. As much as foxhunters might protest, eventing goes by EVENTING rules. So I don't think there is a rule against slightly shinier leather tops on your boots, so I say go for it.

Duckz
Jan. 31, 2012, 03:40 PM
One of my friends added height to his boot with the same kind of leather that the boot was made of. Up close you could see that they were "topped" but since they weren't patent leather, brown leather, etc they were appropriate for just about everything. He did hunters, eq, eventing, and fox hunting in them. That's what I would do in your situation.

vbunny
Jan. 31, 2012, 07:18 PM
I'd love to find somewhere that could put a top on a boot for a reasonable price (not a couple hundred $). I want navy tops :).

Xanthoria
Jan. 31, 2012, 08:08 PM
Someone needs to come up with a spra- on dulling compound that makes patent tops look like normal leather for hunting, but can be washed off afterwards.

I got black on black top boots in Argentina and they shop was encouraging me to get patent. I didn't want to look like a poser, so I stuck with regular black leather. Regret that now!