PDA

View Full Version : Calling Those With Sesamoid Experience!

gooselover
Jan. 30, 2012, 08:11 PM
I just was given a gorgeous 16.3 OTTB the other day. We noticed a swelling on the inside left front and figured it was from cross-firing or something along those lines. Today, I had x-rays taken it is an "healed" sesamoid fracture that has calcified. This guy is NOT lame at all.

I do not know when this injury happened. Truthfully, the horse is in bad shape weight wise...long story...he is a rescue and I want to use him for lower level eventing...starter or GNG and some dressage.

Can anything be done for a calcified sesamoid fracture? Per the vet, it is at the top....but what bothers me the most is this protrusion/swelling (cold not hot) on the inside of this front foot. Is it USUAL to have swelling of a calcified sesamoid fracture? What is your experience with this? Thanks for any help you all can give me.

ps. in the meantime, I am sending his x-rays to a great equine vet facility in OKC to get their opinion. And no, he is not going to be a resale.

CHT
Jan. 30, 2012, 08:19 PM
A long time ago, I had a Tb break his sesamoid bone. We put a cast on him and stuck him on stall rest. He healed fine and went back to low level jumping.

His leg looked completely normal after healing; no bumps or swelling.

And that is my story about a sesamoid injury!

judybigredpony
Jan. 30, 2012, 08:36 PM
The finest horse I ever owned had a window pane fractured sesmoid, they don't heal like a major bone but callous over...ask your vet...he never took a lame step was rock solid sound but it was scary if you looked at the x-ray. I had a second horse who was magnificent to watch, he had a fractured hind sesimoid and it was screwed. The screw aggrivated the suspensory and 1-2x year we injected the puffy spot. He was sound but not up to being a 3'6 horse...more 2'9 with less hard pounding.

Karosel
Jan. 30, 2012, 10:40 PM
I had a wb gelding with a fractured sesamoid on his left front. He's sound on it, and went on to do childrens hunters. As far as I know, he is still sound. And yes there is a protrusion/calcified area. His suspensory was in great shape and didn't seem to be damaged at all.

I had another horse, an OTTB, who had sesamoiditis on his hind leg with some suspensory thickening there (not visible by looking at it) and he was not sound.

I think perhaps the integrity of the suspensory ligament near the sesamoid was key to the soundness of each respective horse.

fibbermaggee
Jan. 30, 2012, 10:58 PM
One of my favorite horses ever had a fractured sesamoid that had healed by the time I got him. He never took a lame step. I did lower level eventing with him. I bought him for 1500 off the track and two years later sold him for 8k. Wish I'd never sold him!

gooselover
Jan. 30, 2012, 11:06 PM
Thank you all for giving me hope then. Like I said, he is NOT lame at all. It's just sad to see what SOME of these race people do to these horses. Unfortunately, this guy was given to another guy at an OK racetrack. The original owner was starving his horses, some were dead or near dying. This guy was given to another guy at the racetrack and he was unlicensed...so the racetrack kicked him out. My friend who is in racing "rescued" him and thought I would like him. And I do...alot. We thought he might be cross-firing, thus the "injury", but that was not the case. Again, I am sending his x-rays down to a great equine clinic in Oklahoma City.