PDA

View Full Version : Longwood YEH and YEH format questions (for those who have done it)

TSHEventing
Jan. 29, 2012, 10:42 PM
Hi all!

Taking my turning 4 year old to the YEH at longwood on the 8th for the experience and I had a couple questions,

First, anyone else going? 4 or 5 year old class?

Second, what is the general consensus for the conformation part? What does the handler wear? Riding gear or khakis etc. like a jog up? Do you use the reins or a presentation leather lead?

Is there a whistle in the start of the jumping? do you salute? are there finish flags where you stop galloping after the final fence? What speed is generally recommended for the gallop?

What about dressage? whistle/bell to start idea? I know you can school in the ring prior, is this immediately prior usually or a different time of the day?

Sorry for all the questions, there is precious little information on the website about the rules! ANY information would be welcome !

lecoeurtriste
Jan. 30, 2012, 01:29 PM
Second, what is the general consensus for the conformation part? What does the handler wear? Riding gear or khakis etc. like a jog up? Do you use the reins or a presentation leather lead?

Is there a whistle in the start of the jumping? do you salute? are there finish flags where you stop galloping after the final fence? What speed is generally recommended for the gallop?

What about dressage? whistle/bell to start idea? I know you can school in the ring prior, is this immediately prior usually or a different time of the day?

Handlers usually wear khaki pants, but I've seen riders who have multiple horses (and no help) do the jog in their riding clothes. Most also use the reins on the bridle versus a split lead.

The starting signals will be different at each venue; we find that judges usually use a whistle for dressage (where the horse is in close proximity), but may use a louder cowbell or car horn for the jumping (where they may be a bit further away).

As for schooling, that is also likely facility-specific. We allow horses to school dressage in a ring similar to the competition area, but not the exact ring (same panels, footing, etc.). The judge will at least give you enough time to trot around the outside.

However, we DO allow schooling of the jumps prior to that phase, but only during warm-up (in other words, you are allowed to jump anything you want in warm-up before the first horse begins, so long as a steward or grounds person is present). We usually allow them to start warming up 30min before the first horse goes.

And since the courses are not timed, we don't use start and finish flags. The gallop can be just about any length, so long as you have enough room to actually show it (and not run into anything or anyone).

Hope you'll consider joining us on April 1st!

JWB
Jan. 30, 2012, 10:57 PM
At the ones I've been to in FL, and even at the championships, there were at least 50% of the riders presenting their horses for the jog up wearing riding clothes. One actually had the jog right after the dressage phase. We moaned a bit about cleaning the saddle mark off without a bath, but the horses actually jogged nicer than when they were fresh out of the trailer! I've only seen people use their regular reins.

Can't remember what signal was used to start the course but I'm sure they'll let you know. The one thing we learned quickly was that they want to see a real gallop. The jumps may only be BN-N height, but they want to see a T-P level gallop. We were not allowed to school the jumps at any of the qualifiers I went to but we were allowed to school the water at all of them.

As in any horse trial, the dressage will be started by whatever the ring's judge is using as their signal (whistle, bell, duck call, kazoo, etc). The judges are generally very tolerant of fizzy baby moments. I think the allowed schooling time must be before the rides begin... I can't recall any early schooling at either of the qualifiers, but we definitely schooled early in MD.

Enjoy it and have a blast! I thought it was a great lower stress way to introduce my girl to eventing.