PDA

View Full Version : Coconino (JULY) Entry Fees and Tips

eventer80
Jan. 29, 2012, 08:00 PM
I know we are planning WAY ahead on this, but a group of riders from San Antonio are thinking about coming up for a couple of weeks to do both of the summer Coconino events. I am trying to work up a budget, but can't find any info about entry fees, etc..... Does any one have a ball park figure on what those 2 events usually cost?

Also, any tips about that event? Where to stay, where to eat, etc....

netg
Jan. 29, 2012, 10:24 PM
Prepare to get wet, as typically at least one weekend it rains!

The folks I know generally try to find somewhere that has a refrigerator and take food for themselves, portable burners to cook on, hopefully a room with a microwave. Which hotel generally just ends up being whatever is closest/least expensive. I don't know of anywhere in Flagstaff that's really a terrible dive you don't want to stay in. It's a pretty small town, and there's a main strip near the event where you see mostly chain restaurants to go to - I don't have any fabulous suggestions there, but I do tend to like to have a morning to go check out coffee shops in the downtown area and local places for dinner during the week instead of sticking to the chains on the area near the event. I don't have any suggestions for fantastic food there, though... but it's fun, and I think worth going there!

(Sorry, no help on entry fees - I've only been there helping people who were competing or in town for other reasons.)

Toadie's mom
Jan. 29, 2012, 10:31 PM
I'd be more worred about accomodations than entry fees right now. I know quite a few people that go every year and they say to book early!

Desert Topaz
Jan. 29, 2012, 11:09 PM
Omnibus entry for Summer Coconino I 2011 (http://useventing.com/competitions.php?section=calendar&event=14740)

Omnibus entry for Summer Coconino II 2011 (http://useventing.com/competitions.php?section=calendar&event=14742)

Hotels do book up early because it's summer and there are lots of tourists to the Grand Canyon. They're also not cheap due to same. A lot of people camp there, since there's room for trailers between the barns. It also makes getting around the barns a little insane.

I have a very good friend who lives in Flag and when we get closer I'll ask about good places to eat. We went last year but only for one weekend and ate out just once.

And yes, be prepared for rain. Summer monsoons can bring afternoon/evening thunderstorms daily.

rivenoak
Jan. 30, 2012, 11:44 AM
I always stayed at the Travel Inn. It helps that the delicious Himalayan Grill is behind it. And a diner is nearby.

Friends stay at the Motel 6, which is closer to the fairgrounds.

$200 for pre-comp? Up from a misprint of $90 (or $95). Wow.

Desert Topaz
Jan. 30, 2012, 12:19 PM
$200 for pre-comp? Up from a misprint of $90 (or $95). Wow.
$200 is the entry fee for the majority of Area X Pre-Comp divisions. It's that price for all three Coconinos, St Johns and Goose Downs. It's $175 at Grass Ridge and $150 at Las Cruces.

Kairoshorses
Jan. 30, 2012, 12:42 PM
I LOVE the Coconinos. Flagstaff is gorgeous. And though it rains, the weather is usually really nice.

I stay in my trailer, and we'll make a mid-week trip to Sedona or Grand Canyon.

AND they have practice jumping/dressage rounds between. VERY, very helpful.

I drove from Wimberley last year, picking up several folks along the way. LOOOOONG drive, but worth it for two weekends.

vanraf
Jan. 30, 2012, 01:36 PM
I LOVE the Coconinos. Flagstaff is gorgeous. And though it rains, the weather is usually really nice.

I stay in my trailer, and we'll make a mid-week trip to Sedona or Grand Canyon.

AND they have practice jumping/dressage rounds between. VERY, very helpful.

I drove from Wimberley last year, picking up several folks along the way. LOOOOONG drive, but worth it for two weekends.

All of this! The rain is a bummer, but when it's not raining it's beautiful out! There is also XC schooling after both events (someone correct me if I'm wrong...), at the very least I know there is schooling right after the Coconino since I did it :D

I've been up there the last two years and have really enjoyed getting to know everyone - the competitor paries are fun - good food, and pretty scenery!