PDA

View Full Version : Hind Boot Questions

NSRider
Jan. 29, 2012, 02:23 PM
Hi Everyone!
My new girl tends to interfere in her hind and I feel a lot more comfortable when she's going with ankle boots on. Now, for cross country, would just ankle boots suffice or should I look for a boot that covers the cannon bone and ankle?
Not looking to break the bank, but I don't want something that will wear out in one season either.

What would you recommend? Ankle boots only, or more coverage hind boot, and if so, which ones?

Thanks in advance!

Heliodoro
Jan. 29, 2012, 03:10 PM
My horse does the same thing and I used hind ankle boots without fail through Novice. I did buy some Woof brushing boots for his hinds for when he moves up to Training, hopefully this summer.

It just depends where the horse has a tendency to strike, high or low and what you need to protect the area.

Hawks Nest
Jan. 29, 2012, 03:24 PM
I would suggest woof boots. They are cheap but my mom's horse who used to brush like no other (he would cut himself up and/or go lame for a few steps if he wasn't ridden with boots or polos) wears his in turnout and when riding and they are still holding up decently.

You are probably safe enough with just ankle boots but if studs are going in I would definitely want protection higher up, you never know if they are going to accidentally strike higher with a hoof.

phoebetrainer
Jan. 29, 2012, 07:37 PM
I have a horse similar. He's now competing at 3'3" - 3'6" and I use boots which protect the fronts of his hind legs and come down over his inside fetlocks - quite like the N.E.W. ones. When he was jumping lower, he went with just the ankle boots.

I also adressed the issue with my farrier and he worked hard to change his foot flight.

If he's shod he always works in ankle boots.