PDA

View Full Version : Eventing near Manhattan, Kansas/KSU

Coeur*de*Cheval
Jan. 29, 2012, 01:37 PM
I am looking at KSU and what wondering about the eventing scene around there. Closest events reg/unreg? Trainers? Barns-either good ones or ones to avoid? :lol:

I think there is a lot more H/J around there, so any information on that would be great! Feel free to PM me

Thanks

Trak_Eventer
Jan. 29, 2012, 02:46 PM
I have a couple of friends who ride down there. From what they have said, there are not many barns and not many trainers.

I have one friend who events who boards here
http://www.hyepointe.com/

Trainer wise...
There is Ann White near Manhattan
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vermillion-Valley-Equine-Center/136094049739627?sk=wall

John Staples is also in Wichita
windermerestables.com

Both John and Ann are great. I rode with John for several years.

Event wise...
check out http://macta.info/
They run Heritage Park Horse Trials in Olathe, KS and would be a good resource. Heritage Park has several XC schoolings throughout the year.
Mill Creek Pony Club Horse Trials is in Grandview, MO, there are several XC schoolings
Briar Fox Horse Trial in Wichita, KS
Feather Creek Farm in Norman, OK; awesome place!! Open schooling all year round (I think), John Staples does several clinics down there.

I would be more than happy to give you the contact info of my friends who ride and go to KSU if you would like.

McVillesMom
Jan. 29, 2012, 05:39 PM
I've been out of the eventing scene for a few years, but there are a few horse trials around here. The ones Trak_Eventer already posted are the ones I know about. I don't know John, but Ann White isn't too far from Manhattan (I think it's about a 45 minute drive) and by all reports she is great. Clare Walker is also in the area.

I board at Hye Pointe currently, and I've been pretty happy there. I boarded at 2 other barns before moving there (3 barns in 4 months = no bueno!) but so far so good :) Feel free to PM me if you have more questions and I will do my best to answer!

SaturdayNightLive
Jan. 29, 2012, 05:53 PM
As others have said, it isn't the greatest area. Ann White really is very good, but her barn is quite a ways from Manhattan. If you don't mind the drive, she's definitely a good option.

High Horse is another eventing barn, but I know next to nothing about the place.

Ashwood Farms is a nice place, but its definitely hunter/jumper. And expensive.

Dry Creek, Fox Creek, and Hye Pointe I wouldn't go near with a 30' pole, but that's because I have an incredibly low tolerance for crazy.

I board at a private place with only two other boarders. And no, I won't share. ;)

akhunterrider
Feb. 7, 2012, 03:15 PM
Ann White is going to be your best bet as far as trainers go. Though unless you board there or have a trailer, it might be kind of tricky to make it work.

Trainers in general are few and far between for any discipline, especially is you want a good one. I liked Mary Ann Funk, but she is gone a lot for shows and she's definitely more of a Hunter/Jumper trainer. I never boarded a horse there, but they have excellent care. If you board in their older barn, it's pretty comparable to other local barns. It's their new barn that's expensive. I also wouldn't hesitate to do pasture board there either.

I wouldn't personally board at any of the bigger barns I have been to in the area. Lots of poor management and other questionable things, such as arena footing and poor riding and training.

SNL's private barn is very nice and if I hadn't moved 45 minutes away, I would likely still be there. Instead I'm at a quarter horse/paint barn, where im he only boarder. Theyre typically just a training/sales barn. I really like it though. I can't stand tons of boarders. I have gotten very used to the barn being quiet between being at the private barn and now the paint barn.

High Horse Stables isn't far from where I keep my horse now. I haven't been to the facility personally, but have heard it is nice. They have a field full of jumps, an outdoor arena and an indoor. I have no idea what the barn is like or what the trainers are like, but I'm pretty sure they have some. The local pony club rides out of that barn too.

Badger
Feb. 7, 2012, 05:47 PM
Another vote for Ann White.

ksbadger
Feb. 8, 2012, 12:49 AM
The USEA Affiliate covering Manhattan is KDEA (www.kdea.org). I know they have several members in the Manhattan area but I'm not sure what barns there are in the immediate area. Briar Fox Farm, which held three recognized events plus several schooling HTs in Wichita, has just changed hands and is now known as Palmer Ranch. They have both indoor & outdoor arenas plus an XC that is open to all by prior arrangement. They will probably restart shows but not until they have completed some fairly extensive refurbishing (limited clinics have already begun).

I expect you've already seen the website but KSU has a large Equestrian Center on campus and an active Equestrian team. http://www.kstatesports.com/sports/w-equest/ksu-w-equest-body-main.html
Welcome to Area IV

Cisco's_Mom
Feb. 8, 2012, 04:05 PM
When I lived in MN I would drive down to Briar Fox (http://www.thehorsefarm.com/) near Wichita. Always had a great time there!

ksbadger
Feb. 9, 2012, 01:39 AM
Cisco's Mom,
That website no longer has any connections with the property although it does have some older course maps. Palmer Ranch is currently only on Facebook.