PDA

View Full Version : Badminton Lodgings?

barnworkbeatshousework
Jan. 27, 2012, 08:09 PM
So, it appears DH and I may be able to attend Badminton this year. We both lived in England in the 80s, I worked there on and off in the 90s, we went back for a short visit in 2006. We know the place, but I don't know the area around Badminton very well. Anyone been to Badminton? Suggestions on lodgings? Thanks. Feel free to PM if you don't wish to publish on the boards.

lstevenson
Jan. 28, 2012, 12:55 AM
Jealous!!!

I went over 10 years ago, but don't remember where I stayed, sorry.

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
Facebook page
(https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Virtual-Eventing-Coach/121366797928434)

barnworkbeatshousework
Jan. 28, 2012, 11:04 AM
a big maybe at the moment, but DH and I didn't have a chance to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary last November. No perfect place than a Horse Trial, right? I love this man, he actually enjoys watching dressage, though his favorite is cross country! We may check out camping at Badminton as an option, too. (Or we could always rent a minivan and sleep in it!)

fine*and*dandy
Jan. 28, 2012, 02:52 PM
I stayed at a B&B from the list on the Badminton website. It's owned by a lovely couple who were more than accommodating. Breakfast was included each morning as well as dinner on XC day because they think their guests are too cold and tired to go out for dinner that night. I just checked, and they're still on the list. Listing is alphabetical and it's under her name - Prue Moss. Badminton was a blast and I hope to go again some day!

barnworkbeatshousework
Jan. 28, 2012, 03:13 PM
thanks for the tip, fine*and*dandy! Best references always come "word of mouth..."

barnworkbeatshousework
Jan. 28, 2012, 03:26 PM
yikes, not looking promising...cheapest flight I could find from Washington DC to London, roundtrip, was $800! Obviously, it has been a while since I traveled internationally. In my day, you could fly to London or Paris roundtrip for anywhere between $350 to $500! Now I feel old....:)

RiverBendPol
Jan. 28, 2012, 04:34 PM
We stayed in a great B&B very close to the grounds, we found it thru the Badders website. The guy's name was Alex (Alec?) Campbell and he was a lovely guy.

dom_schramm_Equestrian
Jan. 29, 2012, 10:08 PM
Hi

I have found that the area around the horse trials is either already well and truly booked out or ridiculously priced. The last time we rented a car and stayed in Bath and commuted daily. The drive was no more than 45 mins and the small room we rented there was a quarter of the price that a closer B&B was. Not to mention Bath is an interesting town, not sure if you have explored it already, but a cool place for architecture buffs.

Although remember you would have to buy a parking pass also and i remember them not being cheap. All in all it will cost a pretty penny haha

Just a couple of thoughts.

FRM
Jan. 30, 2012, 07:35 AM
I highly recommend the website smoothhound.co.uk (if that doesn't work try .com) which lists hotels and B&B's all over the UK. The year we went to Badminton we got a late start but managed to find a room in a very nice B&B in Lacock, about 20 Minutes away.

KMErickson
Jan. 30, 2012, 09:46 AM
I camped last year and had loads of fun - it was a great way to meet folks and the campground is literally a 2 minute walk from the main gates and a 10 minute walk from the trade fair/stadium. I didn't have to worry about fighting through parking all week and could just really enjoy myself. The only potential downside I could see is if the weather was horrible (which, it being England, there is always the chance...).

barnworkbeatshousework
Jan. 30, 2012, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the comment about the campsite! We looked at the camping option and spots are still available. Definitely cheaper than hotel, and we don't mind "roughing" it. How were the toilet/shower facilities? Were you able to cook w/ a stove? I know they don't allow campfires. We know someone who may be competing, so we would love to be as close as possible. The Greenfields campsite folks who run the campground at Badminton seem a decent operation. Nice to see the fee involves the tent, extra fee for sleeping bags, but also includes spot to park car, and passes for all days of the event.

KMErickson
Jan. 30, 2012, 04:09 PM
Shower facilities exist, though they are unglamorous at best (think port-a-pottie equivalent). You can definitely cook with a stove; last year they even had a van renting camp stoves and other equipment, which was helpful for me as I had hitchhiked/walked to get there and so had packed as light as possible and not brought any cooking equipment (they do also have a fish and chip van that comes in the evenings if you don't want to cook/can't get enough greasy show food during the day).

The smallest space had room for a small car and a 2/3 person tent. I had a one man tent and no car, so my space felt very luxurious! I ended up camping at a few other events that spring (Tattersalls in Ireland and Bramham in northern England) and while it worked out fine every time Badminton was, as you might expect, unbelievable in terms of the organization and service.

If you don't mind roughing it slightly, I would highly recommend camping. It is comparably affordable, unbeatable in terms of location, and a great way to meet tons and tons of new people. I got at least six invitations to go riding/hunting with people that had come from as locally as Chippenham and as far as Italy! Definitely the coolest spectating experience I've ever had.

asterix
Jan. 30, 2012, 06:39 PM
We are staying in Bristol, in an apartment I found on tripadvisor -- very, very reasonably priced, with parking included. That way we can cook/do our own breakfast when we want, or go out to eat with minimal effort (in the walking downtown area). I expect we'll be tired and cold at the end of each day!

Once you have to get in a car to drive from wherever you are staying, I figured a slightly longer drive would be well balanced by the cheaper and more comfortable accommodations and the chance to walk to eating options...