PDA

View Full Version : Horse Farm Tours KY-while at Rolex???

DocElle
Jan. 27, 2012, 09:42 AM
Can someone recommend the best farms to tour in KY close to the horse park? I want to add this to the itinerary of fun while in KY for Rolex!
Thanks in advance

bizbachfan
Jan. 27, 2012, 09:47 AM
thanks for posting this I want to do the same thing!

FoxChaser
Jan. 27, 2012, 10:09 AM
Check out WinStar & Three Chimneys. I'm pretty sure there have been threads on this in the past- might want to do a search. See you in April!! :)

Classic Melody
Jan. 27, 2012, 10:33 AM
We went to Three Chimneys, Darley and Old Friends. It was wonderful and I highly recommend it. You should start calling now to get a spot, as that week is a popular one for tours.

vanraf
Jan. 27, 2012, 03:13 PM
I did this in 2005 - it was a lot of fun!! I honestly cant remember what farms we went to or who it was through (I know we stopped at Keenland, too, and went through downtown Lexington)

I especially liked it because, though I showed at KHP a lot when I lived in area 8, before taking the tour I never actually saw anything outside of the Georgetown Holiday Inn, KHP, or Masterson :lol:

s65horsey
Jan. 27, 2012, 04:17 PM
I loved getting to tour WinStar farm!

BAC
Jan. 27, 2012, 04:39 PM
I went to Hopewell, Winstar and Ashford (a Coolmore annex), all three were wonderful, I would highly recommend any or all of them. We even got to see a breeding, and I was able to pet my favorite, Tiznow, and feed him a peppermint when they brought him out to us.

UKYeventer
Jan. 27, 2012, 05:13 PM
Winstar! My best friend (and fellow eventer) is Assistant of Equine Operations and usually gives the tours of the Stallion Complex during Rolex and the Derby. If you go be sure to see Bellamy Road, he is gorgeous and has a quirky personality. It also doesn't hurt that he has a half brother (same mare) that has successfully run around Intermediate ;)

Becky Rocky
Jan. 28, 2012, 06:35 AM
My daughter and I have been going to Rolex every year for 8 years. We added this to our trip last year and absolutely loved it! We did go to Winstar and we also went out and saw Bellamy Road, and all the babies! We booked our tour through the KHP and we met the tour van at the visitor center inside the horse park. It worked out perfectly! I have so many pictures, we also visited some smaller farms, but incredibly impressive. Bring your camera! Our tour guide actually owns the tour, so full of knowledge! You will have a wonderful time!

Anon40something
Jan. 28, 2012, 07:12 AM
Claiborne Farm also has a nice tour through the stallion barns and cemetary (Secretariat is buried there). It's the opposite direction of Three Chimneys and Winstar, but it will be a beautiful drive. Call for an appt.

mustangsal85
Jan. 31, 2012, 12:59 PM
I've got one scheduled with Three Chimneys. I recommend scheduling them now because they will fill up way before Rolex.