PDA

View Full Version : Searching for the impossible...

Heliodoro
Jan. 26, 2012, 10:55 AM
I don't know if this even exists, but I know through the wonders of COTH someone mught actually know.

I need reins with a longer "grip" area. Most reins, after searching, are 54" with grips/rubber/braiding up to a certain point and then are smooth leather. I assume the smooth/unadorned area is for running martingale use as to not shred the "hand grip" area.

Still with me? Good! I need to find reins where the grip area is longer towards the bit attachment. Right now I have a set of Weaver rubber grip eventer reins and due to really buckling down training-wise** with my horse, I need to have my reins short-short (I'm basically at the bridge of where the rubber meets smooth leather). I've dug out all my other reins, braided and cloth webbed with hand stops, they all have the same construction. Do these unicorn training devices exist? I'm not seeing measurements on my usual tack supply sites.

My other options are to go to Pony length reins, which I don't want to do out on xc for drops or a "create-my-own" frankenstein reins and affix some grippy material to the area needed.

**Trying to teach shoulder heavy horse to carry himself at the canter after 12 years of not ever really doing it right:uhoh:. Slowly but surely, we're getting it, just requiring lots of upper body and core strength, therefore more grip= slightly easier on my part!

FLeventer
Jan. 26, 2012, 11:16 AM
You can order custom reins. I'm sure if you send your measurements to bartville you can get them made.

Most reins that I have I never needed to go that far up. Your boy must have a short neck.

jn4jenny
Jan. 26, 2012, 11:21 AM
Order custom, or take it to a repair shop. A repair shop could either re-rubberize the entire rein, add rubber to the front part, or shorten the front portion so there's less leather between your hand and the bit.

Xctrygirl
Jan. 26, 2012, 01:36 PM
YOll laugh this is so simple...

Buy plain cob length reins. Get them covered with horse length rubbers.

Done.

~Emily

Jleegriffith
Jan. 26, 2012, 01:39 PM
Have Bartville tack make you a pair. They are awesome and it will be super cheap.

Win1
Jan. 26, 2012, 01:51 PM
I've had that problem in the past with Nunn Finer's, I don't notice it as much with my ThinLine reins. You might measure those, or call a retailer who would, and see if they are a little better.

FlamingoRider
Jan. 26, 2012, 11:57 PM
I have the same problem due to riding a pony (14h). Recently found a pair of Tory rubber reins with the grips located a good 6" closer to the bit than my Bartville reins. I suspect it's sample variance, as the other pair of same brand in the tack shop was about splitting the difference on placement.

One other suggestion if you're riding with really short reins--tie a knot in the middle (@buckle) to shorten them, otherwise the loop may be long enough to catch your foot in.

IFG
Jan. 27, 2012, 11:32 AM
YOll laugh this is so simple...

Buy plain cob length reins. Get them covered with horse length rubbers.

Done.

~Emily

Exactly my response.

tabula rashah
Jan. 27, 2012, 11:35 AM
wrap that part with vet wrap and remove when you don't need it anymore