PDA

View Full Version : Want to go to a clinic but?

Daisey-Bogie
Jan. 24, 2012, 08:45 PM
I would love to go to a clinic, break up the monotonoeous (sp) work and taking care of a loved one. Question is what is a reasonable number of days that i could get a way with and still feel comfortable taking my mare. When do I get to ride 3-4 days, back to back then 3-4 days off. I now lunge, am slowly moving to the camp of how important and really benificial lunging is. So we lung about 20 minutes before the ride, walk trot canter, with and without side reins. Then at least anohter 20 minutes under saddle. i have a hafie, so in the summer when i have to get her ready for competition, it is trotting 10 min, canter 5, trot again another 10 and canter another 3-5, trot a little more then cool down. that was what we worked for. this year i hope to do more.

Here is the question, it is a gymnastics clinic, is this too much to ask given my current limitations. i woudl like to also do a dressage one also. What do you think.

Highflyer
Jan. 24, 2012, 09:29 PM
You're riding 3-4 days a week currently? I think that's probably reasonable for most horses, as long as there are 4-5 people in the group so that the horses get good breaks in between exercises. My horse would find a 45 minute private dressage lesson more tiring than a gymnastics clinic, but yours might have more energy :) Most instructors are pretty aware that horses are less fit this time of year, and structure things accordingly.