PDA

View Full Version : Charles Owen helmets 20% off

scubed
Jan. 24, 2012, 03:43 PM
Bit of Britain has 20% off CO helmets. Since a horse just ate my JR8, I bought a replacement at $112, quite the deal. http://www.bitofbritain.com/Weekly_E_Saver_Sale_Bit_of_Britain_s/220.htm

TheJenners
Jan. 25, 2012, 08:46 PM
What's the difference between the JR8 and GR8? I have a GR8 that's a few years old, and my hair is about a foot longer now...

vanraf
Jan. 25, 2012, 08:54 PM
What's the difference between the JR8 and GR8? I have a GR8 that's a few years old, and my hair is about a foot longer now...

Now, don't quote me on this, but I believe the main difference is the harness - the GR8 has the leather harness and the JR8 has a nylon harness (I'd advise looking at the differences in pictures - like on this page where they are just a row or 2 apart: http://www.bitofbritain.com/Helmets_s/50.htm) you can see how the JR8 is a more basic version.

Also, thank-you scubed for the heads up ( :lol: ) - I've been pining over the Centennial skull for a while and I could finally justify buying it at that price!

retreadeventer
Jan. 25, 2012, 08:59 PM
Wow! Super price! Scubed you are the Queen of the Internet. Sorry about the horse that ate the helmet, though....maybe he needs more carrots? Then he wouldn't be so hungry? :) :) Just kidding!

scubed
Jan. 26, 2012, 09:25 AM
In addition to the harness, CO does not pay to have the JR8 tested to British standards. It is astm/sei legal, but has not gone through the other testing the GR 8 has. I use a jr8 for every day because I find that hrness configuration a bit cooler.

nappingonthejob
Jan. 26, 2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks for posting...I've been dragging my feet and have been meaning to buy a new J3 for about a month now. It's just time for a new one (almost 6 years...naughty naughty) and now with $37 off I have no excuse.

canadianbacon
Jan. 26, 2012, 10:18 AM
How does the fit of the J3 compare to the ProII? The J3 is a perfect fit on me, but I covet the purple Centennial!

I do not need another helmet, I do not need another helmet, I do not need another helmet....

subk
Jan. 26, 2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks Scubed! I've been meaning to replace my J3. Don't forget not only is there 20% off but if you type your USEA# in the coupon box you get another 5%!

GutsNGlory
Jan. 26, 2012, 10:39 AM
How does the fit of the J3 compare to the ProII? The J3 is a perfect fit on me, but I covet the purple Centennial!

I do not need another helmet, I do not need another helmet, I do not need another helmet....

I think they are different enough that I wouldn't trust buying one without trying it on first... I did a fitting with a CO rep at Rolex last year and compared the two. She put the ProII on me first and it was a very obvious non-fit. After seeing that, she went for the J3 next and it was a perfect fit.

This is tempting because I have been needing a new schooling helmet... I believe I remember hearing that the JR8/GR8 fits very similar to the J3. Does anyone know if that is correct? Maybe I, too, should just wait until April so that I can do another fitting and scour the shopping at Rolex to find a great deal like last year...

vanraf
Jan. 26, 2012, 01:27 PM

Well.. I guess I'll be able to report on this in several days... I have had a J3 (for 6 years as well :o, I know I know, very bad) and tried on the Ultralight Euro skull and it fit perfectly... I think (correct me if I'm mistaken) those two are the same helmet with different harnesses?

Who knows - I've been coveting the Centennial one for a while now, but if it doesnt fit I guess it'll just get swapped out for the Ultralight and I'll save 60 bucks!

Interesting note about the testing, scubed - didn't know that!

Holly Jeanne
Jan. 26, 2012, 01:48 PM
I've been looking at the JR8 for about two months now! :lol:

fine*and*dandy
Jan. 26, 2012, 05:02 PM
According to CO, the GR8 and the J3 are the exact same helmet - only different on the outside. They fit round heads. The JR8 is not the same and has a different fit. The Pro Skull II fits oval heads and is very similar to the AYR8 and the Wellington Professional.

wookie
Jan. 26, 2012, 07:20 PM
wow....i didn't know i had an oval head:)

PuraVidaEventing
Jan. 26, 2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the link!! I've been meaning to replace my J3 for about a year now....since falling off on the road (oops). Luckily I've survived till now, haha.
J3's and Pro IIs fit very differently in my experience...I've worn my trainer's Pro II for hacking/whatever if I don't have a helmet with me and it DOES NOT fit my head at all. Much too oval! I wear a GR8 and a J3 and they are very, very similar.

IFG
Jan. 27, 2012, 11:55 AM
According to CO, the GR8 and the J3 are the exact same helmet - only different on the outside. They fit round heads. The JR8 is not the same and has a different fit. The Pro Skull II fits oval heads and is very similar to the AYR8 and the Wellington Professional.

Agree based on my own experience trying on MANY helmets trying to find something to fit my oval head.

IFG
Jan. 27, 2012, 12:00 PM
How does the ultralight fit? Oval or round?

fordtraktor
Jan. 27, 2012, 01:15 PM
Does anyone know how a JR8 compares to a Hampton? Thanks...