PDA

View Full Version : Strength Exercises OUT of the saddle?

NBN
Jan. 24, 2012, 10:02 AM
So basically, after doing a Will Coleman clinic (bootcamp) not too long ago, I realized what a WIMP I was in the saddle. I've been working really hard since then, trying to strengthen my leg and position in the saddle. Does anyone have any good (off horse) leg/core exercises they do to help them in the saddle?

TIA! :D

cleozowner
Jan. 24, 2012, 10:52 AM
Planks, squats, and lunges are your friend.

trabern
Jan. 24, 2012, 11:26 AM
Dressage forum has a core workout thread going right now. But in a nutshell, dramatic results with short (10-20 mins) daily core yoga, pilates, kettle bells rotation.

JFS
Jan. 26, 2012, 11:20 AM
I've been using Debbie Rodriguez' Success in the Saddle DVD's. They really make you work & no equipment required so no excuses ;) www.successinthesaddle.com. or go to their FB page.

Jackie

pegasusmom
Jan. 26, 2012, 01:32 PM
I am about three weeks behind JFS on the Success in the Saddle program - it's helping me and I don't even ride!

wildlifer
Jan. 26, 2012, 02:56 PM
I am lazy at my house and I HATEHATEHATE exercise. But I do 3x15 situps on an exercise ball on a regular basis and dang, that gives you some abs. And it only takes about 5 minutes, which is about all the attention span for exercise nastiness I have.

Grasshopper
Jan. 26, 2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the Success in the Saddle recs--just ordered Vols. 1-3!

I like Pilates, but my favorite workout is 45+ minutes long, which I just can't fit in often enough these days (FT+ job, toddler, DH traveling a lot, horses at home). Well, let me rephrase that. To fit them in, and still keep everything else running smoothly, I have to get up just before 5am.

I think 20 min. sessions will be a lot easier to squeeze in and will let me sleep til just past 5! :cool:

Duckz
Jan. 26, 2012, 04:46 PM
I downloaded a free app called Nike Training on my iphone. It's amaaahaaazing. There are multiple 30 minute workouts, not all of them require equipment, plus 15 minute targeted exercises for abs, legs, etc. For each set of whatever (lunges, squats, planks...) there are pictures and a video so you know exactly what to do. A disembodied female voice comes from your phone telling you what to do and how long to do it. If you have music on your phone you can set a playlist to go with the workout.

I've been doing the easiest level of 30 min cardio workouts and I'm dead by the end. Did I mention I don't have to leave my house and it's free?? :)

Nike
Jan. 27, 2012, 04:33 PM
LUNGES! I love me some lunges, haha, they really build up your upper things and calves. Good ol' situps and just running really helps too. Chair squats are great, but difficult. I try to hold it for 2 minutes but work your way up. Yoga helps to to find your center of balance, very important for dressage and everything else. A lot of people recommend pilates, but I haven't personally tried them. Good luck!

KateKat
Jan. 27, 2012, 04:52 PM
CrossFit. Has been the most effective workout program I've ever done in general, and has translated extremely well to my riding.

Skydog
Jan. 27, 2012, 06:54 PM
LUNGES! I love me some lunges, haha, they really build up your upper things and calves....

"Upper things"? I must be really tired, but that just cracked me up!

I'll take any exercise program that has you do multiple exercises at the same time - squat and bicep curl, lunge and overhead press, etc. I also really "enjoy" Gin Miller's Simply Strong. It's a great workout, you're doing multiple exercises and she's always reminding you to engage your abs, chest up, shoulders back and relaxed.... sounds like a lesson!

Nike
Jan. 27, 2012, 08:00 PM
I guess I was thinking upper calves and the front of your thighs at the same time. Lol.

ECEventer
Jan. 29, 2012, 08:38 PM
I have a bunch of pilates DVD's and love them! There are a bunch that focus on the core and a few that are 10 minutes long so there are no excuses!

NBN
Jan. 30, 2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!! My trainer gave me the "chair exercise" that I have to work on, and I started Yoga again! Forgot how much I missed that. I'll definitely look into all these other suggestion, thanks again :)

eventingismylife
Jan. 31, 2012, 12:19 AM
I really recommend Daniel Stewart's Stable Board (http://www.stewartclinics.com/online-store/items-for-sale/stable-board/), it is spendy, but a great tool.
It is great for building stamina, strength, and better balance. I highly recommend it!

IFG
Jan. 31, 2012, 07:36 AM
I really recommend Daniel Stewart's Stable Board (http://www.stewartclinics.com/online-store/items-for-sale/stable-board/), it is spendy, but a great tool.
It is great for building stamina, strength, and better balance. I highly recommend it!

While that is lovely woodworking, you can make a cheap version quite easily for much less money. I did it for my dogs to practice agility.

keatssu
Jan. 31, 2012, 07:52 AM
I swim for 30 minutes, vigorously, 3 times a week and use the elliptical trainer, without holding on, 30 minutes, twice a week. You have to use core muscles for balance.

I think aerobic exercise is crucial. It allows me to ride for longer stretches which helps me strengthen my legs. If I do too much leg work off the horse I find my legs are too tired to use them as effectively on the horse. I ride at least 5 days a week, 2-point and some no-stirrup work every ride..

I have my horses at home (4), work full time, and have a farm to tend to. I refuse to get up before 5:00!

bambam
Jan. 31, 2012, 10:02 AM
CrossFit. Has been the most effective workout program I've ever done in general, and has translated extremely well to my riding.
Be careful with the CrossFit- I am not sure how well it accomodates older, not-injury-free people. We used it one winter as winter fitness training for my rowing team (so we were all pretty fit but age range of 32-59) and a significant number of people developed injuries/problems that winter. I am sure it varies by program and trainer but our group of trainers did not seem to get that we were not limber, 20-somethings with perfect joints :lol:;)
Pilates did wonders for me, as does rowing. The rowing machine, if and only if done properly, is a great work out because you get a killer quad/ab workout as well as an aerobic one at the same time. If you do the rowing machine look for demo videos online on rowing websites to see the correct form- I see lots of people at the gym doing it in a way that is just begging for a back injury.

FrittSkritt
Jan. 31, 2012, 12:12 PM
Be careful with the CrossFit- I am not sure how well it accomodates older, not-injury-free people. We used it one winter as winter fitness training for my rowing team (so we were all pretty fit but age range of 32-59) and a significant number of people developed injuries/problems that winter. I am sure it varies by program and trainer but our group of trainers did not seem to get that we were not limber, 20-somethings with perfect joints :lol:;)

Good to hear. I'm 20-something (and rapidly approaching 30), but my joints are nowhere near perfect... I have patellofemoral pain (runner's knee, ironic since I don't run) in both knees, and CrossFit simply scares the poop out of me.