PDA

View Full Version : Mikmar bit company - vent

Sonoma City
Jan. 23, 2012, 11:25 PM
Ok, so I've never posted a bad review for a company before, but I'm so peeved about this situation that I think they deserve it! Good customer service is well appreciated in the horse community, and I just received the poorest customer service that I have ever gotten from any company, never mind a horse company!

So the background is that, I used to love Mikmar bits. I have suggested them to people over and over again because it has worked great for my horse in a difficult situation, but honestly, I'll never use them again. I had a bit that I purchased about 3 years ago. All of a sudden, one day, one of the sides of the D ring siezed up. It just got totally stuck and wouldn't rotate on the hinge. One day it was fine, the next day it wouldn't budge. These are expensive bits, so I wasn't going to just go buy a new one before seeing what the company could do about the situation. So I called the company and they said no problem, send it back, and we will either repair it or replace it. Perfect! This was in AUGUST! So I sent the bit back. A few weeks after I sent it, I called to make sure they received it, they had and were deciding what to do and would call me back. Ok. A month goes by, and I call again. They ask where I got it and if I had a receipt. I got it at a horse show a few years ago, I don't have a receipt. Ok, they'd consider that and figure out what to do. Crickets. I call back again. The person who can decide on this isn't in the office, they will call me back when they are. Ok. No call from them. I call back in December. They still haven't decided what to do about the bit. Ok, it's not that hard. Either you can fix it, replace it, or you can't do anything, just let me know that! So finally I called today and they said there's nothing they can do so they will send the broken bit back to me. It took them FIVE MONTHS to tell me that!!! Seriously? And I didn't even get any sort of apology for them taking 5 months to decide that they couldn't do anything about the situation and never calling me back about it? And to top it off, when I was about to hang up the phone, the girl said "if you choose to replace the bit, please save your receipt". Seriously!!!!!! I was expecting a "sorry we took 5 months and never called you back about the issue when we said we would", or even better "sorry for your inconvenience, if you'd like to replace it we can take 20% off your order". But NOTHING. Terrible. Nothing would have been fine if they told me that off the bat. But 5 months of me calling to figure out what is going wrong is just not right. For a small company, I feel like there really isn't any excuse to have such poor customer service. Sorry for the vent, but it makes me really appreciate companies who value their customers and take time to make things right! There are so many horse companies out there that treat their customers so well that it really made this scenario stick out!

Auburn
Jan. 24, 2012, 08:49 AM
I definitely understand your frustration with customer service problems.

Did you ask to speak to a Manager? His Manager? I would call back and ask for the address of the President of the company, then send him a registered letter with what happened to you.

I feel this way about BoB. A couple of years ago, I had problems with two separate items, within 4 months of each other. The customer service was not helpful and quite rude. I have not purchased anything from them since. Since I used to be a Tack of the Day-a-holic, it is their loss and my DH's gain. ;) Of course, I only went as high up as a Manager, not JN.

Good luck with your issue.

jumpymeister
Jan. 24, 2012, 09:52 AM
They have a Facebook page....I bet if you go express your extreme displeasure in public there, you will get a better response ;-)

BestHorses
Jan. 24, 2012, 10:07 AM
They have a Facebook page....I bet if you go express your extreme displeasure in public there, you will get a better response ;-)

:yes: I just did this with Dover and got help in two hours!

Far_North_Equestrian
Jan. 24, 2012, 11:12 AM
Yup - I'm a big fan of public displeasure on FB and Twitter - they tend to get your problem actually solved where all else has failed.

TheJenners
Jan. 24, 2012, 01:35 PM
To be honest, after owning something for three years I wouldn't have excepted help....BUT I would have definitely expected way less than five months for them to make a determination. Wow. And in August too, so can't blame the holidays.

Sonoma City
Jan. 24, 2012, 02:34 PM
I didn't speak to a manager yet, I should probably give them a call back. I was kind of speechless after the "receipt" comment, and then after I hung up the phone I thought back and shook my head at the situation!

TheJenners, I didn't think it was out of the ordinary to send a product back to a manufacturer to be repaired, even after 3 years. I would expect to pay for it of course. Usually manufactuers can service their own products though. Maybe I was incorrect in that assumption, but when I called originally they specifically said that they would either repair or replace it, so they set the expectation up front that they could help fix the problem. Regardless, the issue wasn't whether they could or couldn't fix the bit, and I never expected them to send me a brand new one as a replacement, the issue was that it took them 5 months to let me know their decision!

TheJenners
Jan. 24, 2012, 02:39 PM
Right, I agreed with you....