PDA

View Full Version : Leslie Law clinic report and bragging about my youngster

scubed
Jan. 23, 2012, 01:29 PM
We did the Area III adult rider clinic with Leslie Law this weekend. Thanks so much to Robin Bass for organizing it and Alice and Rocking Horse for hosting it. I had a really great time and loved riding my youngster in his first extensive xc outing. I've blogged here. You can skip over all the gushing about my guy as there is some stuff about Leslie's teaching that you might find interesting:
http://seema-thefloridachronicles.blogspot.com/2012/01/in-which-keegan-rocks-leslie-law-clinic.html

islgrl
Jan. 23, 2012, 01:56 PM
A nice report, thank you. I think her advice to not abuse your horses generosity is a good take home message for most riders.

faybe
Jan. 23, 2012, 02:39 PM
LOVE that picture over the liverpool! And I love his description of Keegan as "generous"- how exciting! Jeff only rode with him on Saturday but really, really enjoyed it (I think he rode in Steph's group). Wish I could have been there! I will be there this coming weekend though, if you need a groom :)

LAZ
Jan. 23, 2012, 04:10 PM
Great report!

I have Leslie coming 3 times this year--I was really impressed with him last year. He helped every single person, no matter the level, made every horse better and kept it really simple and educational.

Eventer55
Jan. 23, 2012, 04:13 PM
A nice report, thank you. I think her advice to not abuse your horses generosity is a good take home message for most riders.

Leslie is a he;) His wife is Lesley

And to add they are both great at finding your small, but very important fault.

FlightCheck
Jan. 23, 2012, 05:00 PM
Faybe-
Jeff's horse is really, really nice :)

faybe
Jan. 23, 2012, 07:52 PM
Faybe-
Jeff's horse is really, really nice :)

Thanks! We're pretty fond of him. :D I tell Jeff on a regular basis it was the best $1 he ever spent!

EventingJ
Jan. 23, 2012, 08:23 PM
nice report! I'm excited to hopefully be riding in a clinic with him this spring.

retreadeventer
Jan. 23, 2012, 11:26 PM
We did the Area III adult rider clinic with Leslie Law this weekend. Thanks so much to Robin Bass for organizing it and Alice and Rocking Horse for hosting it. I had a really great time and loved riding my youngster in his first extensive xc outing. I've blogged here. You can skip over all the gushing about my guy as there is some stuff about Leslie's teaching that you might find interesting:
http://seema-thefloridachronicles.blogspot.com/2012/01/in-which-keegan-rocks-leslie-law-clinic.html

Wonderful! Thanks for all the details! Sounds like great fun.

CANTEREOIN
Jan. 23, 2012, 11:28 PM
Nice post! You make me hope that he comes to Area 1... Thanks for sharing!

goodmorning
Jan. 23, 2012, 11:46 PM
Nice post! You make me hope that he comes to Area 1... Thanks for sharing!

Here you go :yes:
May 22 - 23 Leslie Law
$185; audit $20 per day, $30 for both days
Closing date: May 20, Opening date: March 1
2259 Scottsville Rd,
Scottsville, New York 14546

Heidi Vahue, 585 657-4523
hsvmev@frontiernet.net
Show Jumping and Cross Country
Max of 7 per group, cross country on Stuart Horse Trials grounds
Day one dressage and show jumping/Day 2 cross country

Kairoshorses
Jan. 24, 2012, 10:43 AM
Great report!

The Laws are both fantastic teachers. I went to a clinic with them and we ended up referring to them as "he-Law" and "she-Law". ;)

LAZ
Jan. 24, 2012, 11:16 AM
Here you go :yes:
May 22 - 23 Leslie Law
$185; audit $20 per day, $30 for both days
Closing date: May 20, Opening date: March 1
2259 Scottsville Rd,
Scottsville, New York 14546

Heidi Vahue, 585 657-4523
hsvmev@frontiernet.net
Show Jumping and Cross Country
Max of 7 per group, cross country on Stuart Horse Trials grounds
Day one dressage and show jumping/Day 2 cross country

How the heck are you doing it so cheaply? I can't have have him in for anywhere near $185!

goodmorning
Jan. 24, 2012, 11:38 AM
How the heck are you doing it so cheaply? I can't have have him in for anywhere near $185!

I don't know LAZ - I just copied the info from the Area 1 site. 7 per group is pretty large though. I wouldn't sign up for a XC school that large...

Heliodoro
Jan. 24, 2012, 11:43 AM

I think it's from the FLTAP they have some sort of donation to make it more affordable... or something like that. I know it's due to some OTTB organization, brain not firing on all cylinders right now!

EventingJ
Jan. 24, 2012, 03:49 PM

Last year with Bobby Costello (~$175) we had help like Helidoro said, from FLTAP (Finger Lakes Thoroughbred Adoption Program) who sponsered the clinic - it was 2 days and we rode for 2 hours each day (IIRC) - I was :eek: when I saw prices in other areas! Even Lucinda seems "cheap" at $250 for the same deal, compared to what I've seen in other areas.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 24, 2012, 04:00 PM
I don't know LAZ - I just copied the info from the Area 1 site. 7 per group is pretty large though. I wouldn't sign up for a XC school that large...

6-8 is a VERY typical number of riders for jumping with a BNT. Most can handle a group that size easily and it is typically for 1.5-2 hours depending on time of year.

I've ridden with L. Law in a group that big and still gotten a lot out of it.

scubed
Jan. 24, 2012, 04:14 PM
I think this one was $230 for the two days including stabling at Rocking horse. Lessons were 1.5+ hours. We had 5 on Saturday and 6 on Sunday and I definitely didn't feel that the group was too big. Leslie did a great job of personalizing the exercises (despite them being the same exercises) depending on what the horse and rider needed

Carried Away
Jan. 24, 2012, 05:43 PM
Our area's Leslie clinic is $325 for 2 days not including stabling, although the groups are more like 3-5 since it's held indoors. Lucinda is $365 for 2 days not including stables and the groups will probably be a little bigger.

Would be great to have some sort of sponsorship to help defray the cost a little!

DevilsAdvocate
Jan. 24, 2012, 07:42 PM
I love what he says about not scolding a horse just for having fun. Another good take away.

LAZ
Jan. 24, 2012, 10:59 PM
6-8 is a VERY typical number of riders for jumping with a BNT. Most can handle a group that size easily and it is typically for 1.5-2 hours depending on time of year.

I've ridden with L. Law in a group that big and still gotten a lot out of it.

Just to clarify, I wasn't complaining --I just couldn't figure out how that price could cover expenses!

I loathe riding in big groups so absolutely try to never make groups of more than 5 for clinics, and try to work it so they can be 4 or less when organizing (sometimes due to daylight or time constraints it has to be 5, but I really try to group appropriately if so).

I had to load Leslie up last year for camp with 5 on x/c day and he was absolutely great with everyone--even the problem child in the one group--without making anyone feel slighted or compromised. I was really impressed and was thrilled to be able to get him here 3 times this year. I am also looking really forward to meeting Lesley, who has been nothing less than great to deal with.