PDA

View Full Version : Concerns buying a saddle from another Area?

silver pine
Jan. 23, 2012, 06:26 AM
Just like the title says, I found a used saddle in Area 2 that I think will be a perfect fit for new horse and myself. However, it's a private sale and the saddle is in Area 2, we are in Area 1.

Has anyone had experience shopping outside your local area? Did you trial the saddle? Did you send a deposit and they send the saddle?

Even if I buy the saddle outright without a trial it seems like a leap of faith on both ends. I hope I get a saddle in the mail and they hope they get a check?? Everyone keeps their fingers crossed that everyone else is on the up and up??

I guess the joy of using a tack store with a consignment policy is you don't have to worry about either your money or your saddle disappearing.

If anyone has had experiences or suggestions I would love to hear them.

IFG
Jan. 23, 2012, 06:42 AM
I have done so, usually through Ebay which has protections.

Paypal has certain guarantees for both buyer and seller as does escrow.com.

RedRyderKy
Jan. 23, 2012, 08:12 AM
I've been both buyer and seller of saddles privately and through eBay as well. Most saddles I have bought or sold have not had a trial period. Yes it was a leap of faith but I have been pretty lucky the saddles have worked out. The one I did let go on trial out of state (very reluctantly as saddle was in pristine condition), sold to the first lady who tried it. My saddle fitter was kind of the go between. However I did not get a deposit or anything before the trial and the lady was a week late with the payment plus the check was bad. She did eventually send me the $$$, but it was a totally pain in the ass. I will not let another saddle go out on trial without it being paid in full again.

My best advice is ask for a trial, asking should the saddle not work out and you return it in the exact same condition, you get a full refund minus shipping. Pay seller through Paypal as they do have seller and buyer protection, plus it provides a "paper trail" should anything go wrong.

Good Luck!

scubed
Jan. 23, 2012, 08:41 AM
I have both bought and sold long distance. Never had a problem. Usually just ask for eventing references as it is a small enough community

wildlifer
Jan. 23, 2012, 08:54 AM
I have done it too with no problems. I usually pay through Paypal in hopes that will be some small measure of protection.

silver pine
Jan. 23, 2012, 11:37 AM
I have never used paypal or e-bay, is that something you can set up without an e-bay account? The seller is on the Area 2 classifieds not e-bay...

IFG
Jan. 23, 2012, 11:42 AM
Sure, go to Paypal.com and set up an account. I sold a saddle using Paypal, witout Ebay being involved.

faybe
Jan. 23, 2012, 11:44 AM
Yes, you can do Paypal without Ebay. I'm in DE/PA area and have sold a saddle to a lady in AZ, and purchased from someone in KY. In both cases the money was held "in escrow" (effectively, they don't call it that on PayPal I don't think) via PayPal until the saddle shipped. I've never had a problem with saddles arriving as described but I did always check references and made sure the money was in the PayPal account before the saddle shipped.

fine*and*dandy
Jan. 23, 2012, 05:56 PM
I've bought and sold saddles out of my area and haven't had any problems, but you do need to be careful. I ask for photos with specific measurements taken, so I know they actually have the saddle. I pay with PayPal using a credit card, so I have protection from both PayPal and my credit card company. As a seller, I don't send the saddle until I received cleared payment. I don't give trials, nor have I ever gotten one, but again, I get very specific measurements first.

faybe
Jan. 23, 2012, 06:50 PM
I've bought and sold saddles out of my area and haven't had any problems, but you do need to be careful. I ask for photos with specific measurements taken, so I know they actually have the saddle. I pay with PayPal using a credit card, so I have protection from both PayPal and my credit card company. As a seller, I don't send the saddle until I received cleared payment. I don't give trials, nor have I ever gotten one, but again, I get very specific measurements first.

:yes: And I would add, always make sure to get shipping insurance for the full value, delivery confirmation and a tracking number (if you're buying make sure the seller gives you a tracking number).

cmdrcltr
Jan. 23, 2012, 10:28 PM
I just sold my saddle to someone who saw my ad here on CoTH. I am in Maine and she in Colorado. I agreed to a deposit for half the asking price plus shipping cost so that she could try the saddle on her horse. I can't imagine not allowing a trial as I know I want my own saddle to fit well. Anyway, the saddle fits and I am awaiting the second payment. I asked for payments via money order to avoid paypal fees, especially for withdrawal as I don't use my paypal all that frequently and didn't need to have the money sitting in that account. (I don't use my bank acct. with paypal.)

So far I've been very satisfied with the communication and the arrangement. Of course, now I'll have to let you know if I never receive the second half of the money. ;) :D

Wordplay1832
Jan. 24, 2012, 01:24 PM
I had one instance where I am still owed about $200 from a saddle I sold a long time ago to someone that I connected with on the internet, that was the difference between the down payment they sent me and the rest they owed me. I will never do that again without full payment or doing it through ebay or something like that.

Very frustrating

I am sure this would not be a common problem-at first she kept emailing me apologizing for being busy and not getting the check sent, then she just doesn't pay attention to my messages and I know that she just thinks she got a great deal on a saddle. I would not think that most people would be this dishonest, but I still would be hesitant to do it without a more formal written agreement (my mistake to trust them)

reay6790
Jan. 24, 2012, 01:37 PM
I have bought all 3 of my current saddles off of the internet from private sellers. I emailed extensively asked for current pictures, and talked to them on the phone extensively.

Each of them I mailed a check or used paypal and the check was not to be deposited until I actually decided to keep the saddle. I had a trial on each. Usually 4 days to a week.

Last saddle I bought that was $$$ was a CWD and I looked up her residence to see if she was a real person (I was in TN and she was in CA) and I looked up her USEF # to make sure it matched up (She was a jumper I'm sure you could do the same with USEA).

Hope that helps.