PDA

View Full Version : Equine Insurance: Help!

Addictedeventer
Jan. 21, 2012, 07:39 PM
I'm planning on getting my 5 year old gelding insured soon and was wondering what comapines are the best. I've heard good things about Markel & Broadstone. Let me know experiences! Also, how much does it appx. cost yearly for full mortality or something close to it ? (I know it depends on the plan)

Thanks everyone!

BigRuss1996
Jan. 22, 2012, 09:57 AM
I use Broadstone. They are easy to work with and so far I have been happy with them.
As far as price that depends how much you are insuring the horse for and what coverages you get. Your best bet is to send in a quote request from the ones you think you are interested in and compare as there is no charge for a quote.

2tempe
Jan. 22, 2012, 10:05 AM
I believe the rates are fairly standard across the industry; mortality will run around 3% of horse's value. Major medical will vary a bit depending on deductibles, etc. For $10000/$500 deductible I'm paying $300 annually on top of the mortality.

purplnurpl
Jan. 23, 2012, 09:58 AM
I use Hallmark and like them very much.

please do a search on off course and horse care as well.

This topic has been discussed to death in the past and recently.

TexasRose
Jan. 23, 2012, 10:05 AM
I use C. Jarvis Insurance Agency and highly recommend them (excellent service). I also echo what BigRuss said above "As far as price that depends how much you are insuring the horse for and what coverages you get. Your best bet is to send in a quote request from the ones you think you are interested in and compare as there is no charge for a quote."

jetandmegs4
Jan. 23, 2012, 12:19 PM
I have used broadstone (the Hartford plan) for several years and would highly recimmend them. They have always paid out very quickly on claims and have been very easy to work with.

faybe
Jan. 23, 2012, 12:30 PM
I have Broadstone and have been very pleased. I have the standard major medical and colic coverage, and dropped my mortality down to the minimum allowed (I think it was like $1000 or $500)- solely because I'm at a point in life where I love the horse I have but if something happened I wouldn't go out and buy another one, but I wanted the major medical/colic to cover something that was fixable, should anything happen. Broadstone was great about understanding my wanting to save money but still keep my coverage, and I've never had trouble getting hold of them with questions. Touch wood, haven't had to make a claim but I think they would be very responsive based on my past interactions with them over mundane renewal issues.

scubed
Jan. 23, 2012, 02:02 PM
I have Broadstone underwritten by The Hartford and have had great service including payouts on several large claims over the years. They do not cover injections if that is an issue for you. I think whoever underwrites for Hallmark may.

Jan. 23, 2012, 03:16 PM
The costs run about the same.

I've worked with two major companies and both paid out and were attentive through the claim process.

The devil is in the details.

Diagnostics - what percentage will they cover, what do they cover, and what is the deductible?

Details of what treatments they cover is important.

Details of how long they will cover treatment is important.

What they will cover is important - and this ends up being an issue based on what you've dealt with in the past....several years ago I did IRAP on a horse, at the time it wasn't covered, now it is; recently, I did cold laser therapy, my company didn't cover it, but a friend's did.

I'd do a search on each company you are considering and I think you'll find threads that will give you pros/cons of each company. I don't think there is a perfect company, but you have to figure out what works for you.

JER
Jan. 23, 2012, 05:54 PM
I use Hallmark.

Everyone there is very nice and helpful and the service is always personal.

:)

KFC1177
Jan. 23, 2012, 06:45 PM
A friend of mine has hallmark and they have been great with her claims.

I have broadstone for both of my horses. One is with the Hartford and I can't think of the other one right now but both have been great for me on some big claims....