PDA

View Full Version : Feeding my horse...need advice.

Donkerbruin
Jan. 21, 2012, 12:24 PM
Before she was mine, my horse wasn't being used much. Her diet currently consists of unsweetened beet pulp, 2 doses of magnesium per day, and an ounce of Quiessence.

I don't think that she needs Quiessence...she's perfectly calm on her own. She really doesn't like beet pulp, and will only eat it if I mix in some oats or alfalfa.

I'm riding her quite a bit now and we have our first show on February 5 (YAY!). I think that she needs more nutrition, but I'm not sure what I ought to be feeding her. Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Cluck
Jan. 21, 2012, 01:27 PM
The Quiessence contains magnesium so there is no need for the extra doses. It also contains chromium which helps with insulin/glucose metabolism. Was she put on this for a reason? It may not have been to keep her calm but to help with fat pads/cresty neck.

What does your mare's weight look like? Is she is good weight or thin? How are her energy levels.

I hope that she also gets hay in addition to the beet pulp? If so how much?

You don't provide enough details to make sensible suggestions:no:

Charlie Piccione
Jan. 21, 2012, 01:30 PM
Take all the guess work away.
Look here http://feedxl.com/what.html
Design your own balanced feed program for your horse with the feeds you have avaialble.
Good Luck.

Donkerbruin
Jan. 21, 2012, 04:58 PM
She's at a good weight right now. I wouldn't want her to gain or lose any. She does get as much hay as she wants, but she's not a huge hay eater.

EqTrainer
Jan. 21, 2012, 05:03 PM
Do you like the way your horse looks and acts?

If you do, change nothing!

jen-s
Jan. 21, 2012, 10:03 PM
The OP's mare has lost a good bit of weight recently, BUT she's now in solid work 4-5 days a week for the past several weeks and before that was lucky if she got ridden lightly twice a month. She's an easy keeper, but I can understand the OP's concern. She's perfect now, but if she remains in constant work it seems logical to supplement (in whatever fashion is appropriate) to stave off further weight loss, especially in winter. Mare is a beast about hay or forage--she just doesn't like it.

EqTrainer
Jan. 21, 2012, 10:07 PM
Ahhhhh lol I am slooowww huh?!

No soy no alfalfa. How about some fat?

dangerbunny
Jan. 21, 2012, 10:11 PM
how are her teeth? it's unusual to have a horse that is not a fan of good hay.

aucowwy
Jan. 22, 2012, 05:50 AM
Before she was mine, my horse wasn't being used much. Her diet currently consists of unsweetened beet pulp, 2 doses of magnesium per day, and an ounce of Quiessence.

I don't think that she needs Quiessence...she's perfectly calm on her own. She really doesn't like beet pulp, and will only eat it if I mix in some oats or alfalfa.

I'm riding her quite a bit now and we have our first show on February 5 (YAY!). I think that she needs more nutrition, but I'm not sure what I ought to be feeding her. Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Is she getting any kind of hay at all? If she is getting any hay you could have it analyzed to see if it is meeting her nutritional needs. If not you can always buy a mineral and vitamin supplement. Why the Magnesium twice a day? If they Quiessence has some in it I do not see the need for it, but if she does not need the Quieessence I would just take her off of it. If she is not getting any hay I would feed her enough beetpulp, which I am guessing is what you are using as forage, to keep her at a good weight. You can mix in feed such as TC light and get all the vit and mineral she need in Feed 1-2 pounds of Triple Crown Lite per 500 pounds of body weight per day. If this is too much you can use something like http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/horse-supplements/equinesupplement30percent-equine-supplement
or
http://www.tractorsupply.com/dumor-vitamin-equine-supplements-3-lbs--5065194
or
http://www.smartpakequine.com/ultraelite-proform-2167p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

jen-s
Jan. 22, 2012, 09:47 AM
OP--I'll chime in here since I've known maresy longer. Hope I'm not stomping on toes...

Mare's teeth were done in April, rechecked in October, and she consistently has good teeth that only need minor floating. As far as forage, she's just picky. WILL. NOT. TOUCH. beet pulp pellets (that have been soaked). Will pick at soaked shreds but really isn't a fan. She gets free choice grass hay in the winter and she'll eat some, but it's just ok quality. It hasn't been analyzed and won't be unless the OP wants to pay for that herself. Mare has turned down gorgeous timothy, does like orchard and alfalfa, but anything even remotely fescue-ish is deemed unworthy of her.

Her current feed is 3 cups soaked unsweetened shreds (am and pm) with 1 ounce loose vitamins/minerals (am), 1 ounce loose magnesium (half morning, half evening), and 1 ounce Quiessence (am). She was on about 4 pounds Safe & Easy per day prior to that and was very portly BUT she wasn't in any kind of consistent work. Since OP purchased the mare, she's getting ridden several days a week and has dropped all of the extra weight. Right now, she's in perfect condition (or will be with a little more topline and a little muscle on her rump), but if the OP continues her current exercise regimen, mare will likely drop more weight and that's not in anyone's best interest.

Hope that answers some questions!

EqTrainer
Jan. 22, 2012, 11:19 AM
Well, to add .2 more cents...

Horse was taken off soy based concentrate because of behaviour issues possibly related to soy. Did a 180 behaviour change for the better, so continue to avoid soy IMO. It wasnt an experiment done for no reason ;)

You could reduce the amount of Magox BUT 1 scoop of Q. Doesnt necessarily supply enough of it, I think the regular dose is 3-4 scoops a day for sufficient magox. However she has been on a loading dose so no worries to cut it back to maybe 1 additional ounce a day and she may find her food more palatable in general.

Add some fat. Flax, rice bran, canola oil are all good options. Her basic mineral needs are covered. In an ideal world she would get free choice whatever hay she will eat more of but not sure how that would work in your situation.

I still would re- add the caveat, if its not broken dont fix it. After years of watching people buy a new horse, change its feed and then dislike a new attitude or beahviour, I know it happens all the time. Its a natural desire to do something better or nice for your new horse but it doesnt always end in anything but issues that could have been avoided.

dangerbunny
Jan. 22, 2012, 11:47 AM
So if Mare is getting worked more and dropping some weight won't that mean she will be hungrier and eat what forage is available more readily?

HorsesinHaiti
Jan. 22, 2012, 12:34 PM
So if Mare is getting worked more and dropping some weight won't that mean she will be hungrier and eat what forage is available more readily?

Don't I wish. I'm dealing with a very underweight pony who needs more calories than the locally available forage can ever provide. But he INSISTS!!! that if it ain't long plant fiber, it can't possibly be edible. As in clamps his mouth shut like a toddler, wipes any trace off his lips refuses. As in refuses any taste of molasses, corn in any form including cornbread, anything. Hoovers up any grass or dried plant fiber we can find him and passed his medical exam so it isn't teeth or medical issues. He just refuses to taste or try anything unfamiliar.

jen-s
Jan. 22, 2012, 05:38 PM
@EqTrainer--Would *any* soy make a difference? Because the treats she's been getting have soy in them. Knowing how the mare is when she's in work vs. out, I still wonder if it was less soy and more having a person/job that made the personality difference. I'll admit that there were changes when the transition started, but she also started getting ridden more. Too many variable changes for me to be 100%---although in complete honesty, I'm not a feed expert.

EqTrainer
Jan. 22, 2012, 05:55 PM
(shrugs) why take the chance? The change in her was drastic. So many other good things to feed without risking it. That was the actual reason for doing an elimination diet, to see if she had a problem with soy. Nothing else during that time actually changed other than taking her off soy, I worked with her before/after. Huge difference in attention span, reactivity, overall comfort, willingness.

As far as treats go, the less soy the better of course. But she may just have a sensitivity and not an allergy to it. Give her about forty for five days in a row and see whatcha get LOL.

Having a person.. Well, I dont discount that, I like romance too, but I like facts, also. I was not her person but she changed dramatically for me with nothing else having been altered.

Donkerbruin
Jan. 22, 2012, 05:59 PM
Canola oil would certainly be an affordable way to give her some more fat. Wonder if she'd like it...only one way to find out!

EqTrainer
Jan. 22, 2012, 06:06 PM
Thats what I would try first :) reduce the magox, add some canola :) easy and easy to track results.

PS I have a HUGE bag of books for you!

Donkerbruin
Jan. 22, 2012, 06:15 PM
PS I have a HUGE bag of books for you!

:D YAY!

aucowwy
Jan. 22, 2012, 06:26 PM
I would just keep the horse on the forage hay he will eat, the beet pulp and the vitamin/ minerals and she should be fine.

ksojerio
Jan. 22, 2012, 08:04 PM
You said she likes alflafa. Why not give her more of it?

autumn50
Jan. 22, 2012, 08:29 PM
Try Purina Strategy Healthy Edge. Feed according to the guidelines on the bag. It's great stuff, many of my friends have switched to it after seeing the difference it's made in my mare......looks and behavior/attitude.

dangerbunny
Jan. 22, 2012, 09:48 PM
HorsesinHaiti- That is odd, what a weird horse.

OP- what about rice bran? I do a mix of beet pulp and rice bran and my suspicious new mare (who needed extra weight) decided that beet pulp wasn't so weird when it had tasty rice bran mixed in.

ArabsRFun
Jan. 23, 2012, 01:28 AM
I have a picky eater, too. Some bales he likes, some he doesn't. He is also not a fan of straight beet pulp. However, he will eat it fine if it is mixed with some senior. I use Triple Crown, which is also beet pulp based. I went from shreds to pellets because the quality of the shreds was too variable. (I gave up when I found dirt and rocks in more than one bag). Then, because the BP pellets were such a pain to soak, I went to mixing timothy pellets and TC senior. I can soak that while I'm riding, and it's ready when I'm done. In the evening, he gets a bit of straight senior, dry. He also gets Adeptus Gleam and Gain, and I will be starting him on their Augment, as he is not getting the full ration of Senior. BTW, I tried the Triple Crown lite, and it seemed to make my guy hot. YYMV.