PDA

View Full Version : Eventing in Savannah, GA?

SavannahGA
Jan. 20, 2012, 08:39 PM
I may be moving to Savannah, GA and am struggling to find information on any eventing barns in the area. Is there an eventing scene there at all? If not, are there any small private boarding facilities that would be suitable for an eventer? Thanks!

cloudyandcallie
Jan. 20, 2012, 08:40 PM
PM klc on coth. Her daughter is an eventer.

SavannahGA
Jan. 21, 2012, 07:30 AM
Bump

mroades
Jan. 21, 2012, 07:40 AM
the answer is no. Lots of h/j stuff and a few places with enough land to practice. I think there is some stuff going south of sav in richmond hill.

SavannahGA
Jan. 21, 2012, 07:57 AM
What about across the river in SC, but close to Savannah?

oldpony66
Jan. 21, 2012, 10:15 AM
I think there is some stuff going south of sav in richmond hill.

no, not unless it's new in the last four years since I moved away.
Be prepared to travel. A lot.

mroades
Jan. 21, 2012, 11:53 AM
Pretty much Aiken is the only place with any eventing going on. Its not bad drive from Savannah....lol

dani0303
Jan. 21, 2012, 01:07 PM
There really isn't much. I believe the only place in the area that I know of to school cross country is Palmetto Bluff. Their facilities are GORGEOUS but it's very VERY expensive to board there. They are across the border in SC.

mroades
Jan. 21, 2012, 03:41 PM
Yes Palmetto Bluff has the only CC course that I know of in the area. AND IT IS GORGEOUS, but I do not believe that they have any kind of upper level instruction available unless you bring in your own trainer.

SavannahGA
Jan. 21, 2012, 04:08 PM
I don't really need an eventing specific place with a trainer, just some place with knowledgeable caretakers, safe facilities, an arena with jumps, pasture turnout, and trails... too much to ask for?

mroades
Jan. 21, 2012, 04:46 PM
for a decent price, yes.
Palmetto Bluff is what you want, but it depends on your price range. Savannah does have a fairly large H/J population, but trails are scarce and it is hard to find all of the above in one place.
Rose Hill Equestrian Center has all of that, but no CC type schooling available. I believe they are 750. You will not find a nice ring and jumps, with turnout and trails for much less than that anywhere. The other HJ barns are not going to want to use up their facilities for people that arent going to show with them.

Eventer55
Jan. 22, 2012, 07:43 AM
Not sure this is right, but I thought Jimmy went to Hilton Head area once in a while. Look on his web page and see if this is true. There might be somewhere near where he goes for clinics.

SavannahGA
Jan. 22, 2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys! I don't even really need on site xc fences. I don't mind hauling to Aiken for the weekend every now and then. $750 is more than I'm paying now and is probably out of my price range and the $1095 at Palmetto Bluff is definitely out of my price range (although it looks beautiful!). I may cross post in the h/j forum and see if I can find anything there. If anyone hears of anything suitable please let me know! I don't mind a small private facility at all so if anyone know a friend of a friend...