PDA

View Full Version : When you're too broke for a helmet cam...

jackalini
Jan. 20, 2012, 07:44 PM
...you can use your iPhone!!! I tried an experiment today and think it turned out pretty well. :D

1 iPhone + 1 smartphone holder from SmartPak, strapped to my arm and turned forward and put on video =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA-KBarGYx8

It is kind of shaky - so if you get motion sick easily, I'd advise against watching it.

So you - you disenfranchised, vet-bill-paying, saving for spring shows eventers with iPhones - you, too, can record your own riding cam footage!!! :lol::D:winkgrin: Hope you enjoy!

[And please realize that the above is a terrible, apparently unfunny joke - I do not believe iPhone users and poverty are partners. ;) ;) ;) ;)]

wildlifer
Jan. 20, 2012, 08:13 PM
I think an iPhone costs more than a helmet cam....

jackalini
Jan. 20, 2012, 08:27 PM
Not if you are upgrading and sign up for a 2-year contract. Well, that and I *need* a cell phone but don't need a helmet cam. ;)

Use what you already have, right? Just being resourceful.

Cruiser12
Jan. 20, 2012, 09:24 PM
Use what you already have, right? Just being resourceful.

:yes:

vanraf
Jan. 20, 2012, 09:34 PM
lol I think it's clever... but at the same time, it just makes me cringe thinking about the possibility that I'd break an iphone in half if I got dumped and fell on it. I'd rather just break a helmet cam, in that case (though I would hope those are constructed differently for exactly the chance of being impacted given most people use helmet cams for "extreme" sporting things)

yellowbritches
Jan. 20, 2012, 09:47 PM
I just hold it...of course, I'm just hacking around, not galloping xc.

Toby and our New Year's Eve hack:
http://youtu.be/hdrUuvW1OIc

Vernon (forgive Stella of her on camera pee)
http://youtu.be/9DlL3O-BwKI

:D

deltawave
Jan. 20, 2012, 09:58 PM
Yeah . . . people who own horses and iPhones are really in the poverty zone. :lol:

yellowbritches
Jan. 20, 2012, 10:01 PM
For the record, mines not an iPhone (it's a Droid ;)), and I don't consider myself in too poor to have a helmet cam...just too lazy to sort out the one I could use. Besides, I like to share my hacks! :D

deltawave
Jan. 21, 2012, 03:23 AM
Eww, reported without clickng on links! :dead:

jackalini
Jan. 21, 2012, 09:48 AM
Yeah . . . people who own horses and iPhones are really in the poverty zone. :lol:

Let me try this over once.

Hi - I'm Jacque, and I don't post here often, so people may not know me well. I have a silly, stupid sense of humor. Sometimes, people laugh. Sometimes they don't. :eek:

I hoped that the use of the :winkgrin: would have shown that I was truly kidding in implying that an individual who events is somehow simultaneously poverty stricken but miraculously able to afford an iPhone. Epic fail here apparently. :lol::D

What I should have said is that if you don't have the inclination to invest in a helmet cam, for $7-ish, you can still film your own riding footage.

Please excuse my bad humor, not meant to rile anyone!!!

jackalini
Jan. 21, 2012, 09:51 AM
I just hold it...of course, I'm just hacking around, not galloping xc.

Vernon (forgive Stella of her on camera pee)
http://youtu.be/9DlL3O-BwKI

:D

Love it! You are far more talented than I am in being able to hold it steady.

yellowbritches
Jan. 21, 2012, 11:19 AM
Love it! You are far more talented than I am in being able to hold it steady.

On Vernon it was easy-peasy. I could completely drop the reins, and he'd just bob along, happy as can be. And he was a gem to hack, unless there were cows involved. In fact, if you look close, you can see my reins swinging wildly. Toby, on the other hand, is a bit of a dare devil move to video and take pictures on...he CAN be a quite "enthusiastic". But I'm getting good at handling him and the phone (not something I should probably brag about ;) ). There was one ride when I took a call, he spooked and bolted for a few strides (not at the call, just at life in general)...I managed to control him, hold on to the phone, AND not hang up!!! :lol::lol::lol: Kids, don't try that at home! :eek:

OverandOnward
Jan. 22, 2012, 07:23 PM
Welp, that iphone-cam was a lark ... I'd say keep saving spare change for a helmet-cam! ;) :lol:

Heinz 57
Jan. 24, 2012, 12:42 PM
I have a veho muvii helmet cam - IIRC, it was only about $50. I had to get a little creative on the helmet attachment, but otherwise it's pretty neat. Did I actually take the time to set it up at any events last year? :lol: no. I was too 'ZOMG I HAVE TO GET READY!!', having a nervous breakdown.

Oberon13
Jan. 24, 2012, 02:05 PM

Totally agree with this videos title...that's DEFINITELY the best sound in the world. :yes:

TheJenners
Jan. 24, 2012, 02:27 PM
I have a veho muvii helmet cam - IIRC, it was only about $50. I had to get a little creative on the helmet attachment, but otherwise it's pretty neat. Did I actually take the time to set it up at any events last year? :lol: no. I was too 'ZOMG I HAVE TO GET READY!!', having a nervous breakdown.
OK, but how about a review on the camera itself?? Work? Easy? Clear video? I imagine some wide elastic and velcro would do the job neatly? I've been hankering for one.

Someone (a male poster zomg) posted a helmet cam vid of him getting dumped in the snow off a youngster. I, too, have a youngster who is getting started this year, and want to have my own "thump! oof!" on helmet cam....

And OP, I got your humor ;).

TheJenners
Jan. 24, 2012, 02:29 PM
Except on second thought, mine would be "thump! <crack!> [censored censored]" on camera...maybe I should refrain.

Heinz 57
Jan. 24, 2012, 02:36 PM
OK, but how about a review on the camera itself?? Work? Easy? Clear video? I imagine some wide elastic and velcro would do the job neatly? I've been hankering for one.

Someone (a male poster zomg) posted a helmet cam vid of him getting dumped in the snow off a youngster. I, too, have a youngster who is getting started this year, and want to have my own "thump! oof!" on helmet cam....

And OP, I got your humor ;).

Works great, it's not "HD" but its 720p or some such (plenty clear for me when I watched my test run). Even comes with a cute little waterproof case if you think you might take a header at the water complex. It comes with an elastic band and a whole box of attach-y parts, I just had to shove a cat toy between it and my helmet to get it angled down properly (yes, I'm creative). Directions on it were pretty simple, and it has USB connectors and a plug in to charge with. It records to a teeny tiny little memory card. They sell adapters in the event that you want to stick a memory card directly into your PC, versus using the USB port.

If I can find it, I'll do a demo video at home this week for COTH. You never know how riveting going round-and-round the arena can be. :lol:

ETA: TheJenners, this one has an option for turning off the sound. :lol: