PDA

View Full Version : Antares Jumping Saddle by SmartPak Equine- Likes, Dislikes,any opinions?

EVENTINGallDAYlong
Jan. 20, 2012, 01:27 PM
Antares Jumping Saddle by SmartPak Equine- Likes, Dislikes,any opinions?

FLeventer
Jan. 20, 2012, 01:30 PM
I don't know what you mean when you say that they are "by smartpak". Smartpak in no way makes these saddles. They are custom made by antares and can be ordered though smartpak. I personally would order through a rep but that is just me.

EVENTINGallDAYlong
Jan. 20, 2012, 01:36 PM
i meant you can by them through Smartpak....not they are by smartpak...

sorry for the confusion

deltawave
Jan. 20, 2012, 01:45 PM
Antares saddles are wonderful. I fell in love with my trainer's the moment I sat in it. They are outside my general budget so I found a used one and bought it immediately. Love it!

eventer_mi
Jan. 20, 2012, 02:03 PM
You know, you can get them much cheaper off Ebay in the $2200-2600 range. Are you talking about the regular Antares, or the Richard Spooner one (that's slighly less expensive)?

I love Antares saddles, but they don't fit my flat-backed boy at all. Too scoopy of a tree (like most of the high end French saddles).

fatappy
Jan. 20, 2012, 02:10 PM
I have a used one out on trial right now. I made an offer on it and now I'm just trying to see if I'm really serious enough about it to pay up.

I do love the saddle! The leather is nice, and it is sooo comfortable! I like the balance and the seat... it's deep enough that you can really sink down into it, but it's got enough of a forward flap that you can still get up out of the horse's back. And your leg never moves!!

Take note of the panels. They are shaped like bananas so they are not going to fit all horses.

The only thing... the one I am sitting in makes a pfffft noise everytime i post. Anyone else's do that?

FLeventer
Jan. 20, 2012, 02:18 PM
Ok, just wordering because you confused me on that. I got mine off ebay after I sold my cwd. I enjoyed riding in it. Nice leather, I had the printed not the calf, and fit my leg, which was no small feat! I sold it because it no longer fit my horse. I would buy again if I found another with an extra foreward flap or had the money lol!

Meadow36
Jan. 20, 2012, 10:40 PM
I have a Richard Spooner (ordered from Smartpak) and I'm very happy with it. Previously I had a County Stabilizer, a Butet and an original Bruno Delgrange. I can easily say that this is right up there with the high end stuff as far as comfort and quality goes. I like to ride a hole shorter then I should and I love to be in half seat most of the time; this saddle makes both of those things quite comfortable for me. I feel very balanced on the flat and over fences.

I also get a bit of a "squish" from the knee rolls when I post; it's not bad, I've gotten used to it. My only issue is that it does not fit my TB who has a very high wither and a curvy back. It works just fine for my Connemara/QH. I have the #2 tree.

As always, Smartpak customer service is stellar, and you will be able to test ride your saddle, stirrups and all.

xitmom
Jan. 21, 2012, 07:36 AM
I had an Antares jumping saddle that I really loved. The calf leather was excellent quality and it was a very comfortable saddle. I ended up selling it on eBay because it did not fit my horse really well and the panels are foam (not flocking) and thus could not be adjusted for him. Another thing to note - just like any calf leather saddle, you had to really take care of the leather to avoid scratches and wear (eg. never wear jeans, always keep the cover on when transporting it). Good luck with your decision!

SEPowell
Jan. 21, 2012, 08:53 AM
I noticed a bunch on ebay also and was surprized at the price drop. So I searched around for info and read a bunch of posts saying they were having trouble with trees breaking. This is strictly second hand internet information so take it for what it is.

Meadow36
Jan. 21, 2012, 10:15 AM
I had an Antares jumping saddle that I really loved. The calf leather was excellent quality and it was a very comfortable saddle. I ended up selling it on eBay because it did not fit my horse really well and the panels are foam (not flocking) and thus could not be adjusted for him. Another thing to note - just like any calf leather saddle, you had to really take care of the leather to avoid scratches and wear (eg. never wear jeans, always keep the cover on when transporting it). Good luck with your decision!

I wear jeans with half chaps at nearly every ride and my saddle still looks brand new. Also, if a person was so inclined, they could have the foam removed and have the saddle reflocked with wool.

KateKat
Jan. 23, 2012, 02:09 AM
Love mine. Super comfortable and very secure but doesn't lock you in. Fits my horse well but she has a very curvy back and is A shaped with a fairly normal shoulder. The type of back this saddle is a good fit for, basically! Lol. I've had mine almost a year with no problems, still looks new.

If you don't need a rep to fit you, the Smartpak option is definitely much cheaper. But you will be getting no customization really, other than flap and seat size. It's basically the equivalent of buying a new Antares off the rack.

alto
Jan. 23, 2012, 02:37 AM
Also, if a person was so inclined, they could have the foam removed and have the saddle reflocked with wool.

Check with the manufacturer before doing this, as it will likely void any warranty on the saddle.

vxf111
Jan. 23, 2012, 12:48 PM
Check with the manufacturer before doing this, as it will likely void any warranty on the saddle.

It's not ALWAYS possible to replace foam with wool. Depends on the tree construction and whether there's sufficient depth/space for the wool.

I do think, however, that when you buy from Antares directly you can custom order with wool.