PDA

View Full Version : Burghley Ticket Information Please

tlw
Jan. 20, 2012, 01:15 PM
I know they are not available yet but I am trying to get my ducks in a row so I don't miss out on anything. My wife and I always get Members tickets for Rolex and want to do the same (or better) for Burghley this year.

My understanding from the Burghley website is that I need to get one "Members" membership, which will get me and my wife into the member's tent all four days (at Rolex, we each have to purchase a members ticket) and seats for both days of dressage (can one purchase specific seats or is it open seating?). We will be on the course all day Sat. so I'm not worried about seats for that day. On Sun. it looks like we will have to purchase grandstand seats for stadium. Are these open seating as well? Lastly, it appears that we will need to buy actual admission tickets for all four days.

Can any of you who have been there confirm my understanding and am I going about this in the best possible way (in other words, are there better tickets out there)? Lastly, does anyone have any idea when tickets go on sale? I need to know when to start checking the website. Thanks for any advice rendered by those of you with experience.

VWBug
Jan. 20, 2012, 02:11 PM
Last year they went on sale May 3, and I think I remember hearing or seeing they'll go on sale May 1 this year. It is SO much fun when you get the tickets in the mail. :)

We got a membership package last year and it was great. We are not dressage enthusiasts so I can't quite remember the seating arrangement included in the membership package, but I'm pretty sure one or two of the grandstand sections are reserved for members on the dressage days.

A word of caution for stadium... get seats in one of the covered grandstands. And don't get seats in the first few rows -for two reasons. #1 -there is a rail that will get in your way/line of sight and #2, the roof doesn't extend over the seats so if it rains you will get wet. This is the one area where I think Rolex has Burghley beat - the Rolex stadium will spoil you.

Where are you staying?

tlw
Jan. 20, 2012, 03:48 PM
VWBug: we're staying at the William Cecil in Stamford (it is literally next to the Burghley grounds). Thanks for the tip about the grandstand seats for stadium. I have my specific two seats I get for Rolex each year (at least since they got the covered arena there) so I can understand things like line of sight, getting rained on, etc.

Am I correct that one Members "ticket" gets both me and my wife into the members area?

I have 17 members pins from Rolex and am so much on auto pilot in that regard I don't want to mess up our Burghley trip by not doing my research beforehand. Thanks again.

VWBug
Jan. 20, 2012, 04:04 PM
Yes, you get a guest badge with a membership package so you and your wife will be covered. And now I remember, as members you and your wife would get free access to the North stand (see diagram below) on Thursday and Friday.

http://www.burghley-horse.co.uk/Tickets/Grandstands.html#stands

For stadium day we were in D, in the second row. The first row is the same level as the course, so you need to be up several rows to see across the tops of the jumps- we felt like we were sitting in a ditch. ;)

The seats for Sunday sell out incredibly fast so be ready to pounce the day they go on sale!

ETA - Here is that pesky rail:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150311464168501&l=8efb3cdae4

Blugal
Jan. 20, 2012, 04:30 PM
I went in 2008 and just called ahead from North America, the office was very helpful. If you call early enough, they just send your tix in the mail.

Robby Johnson
Jan. 20, 2012, 05:08 PM
I went in 2009 and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I am contemplating Badminton in 2012, but not before consulting with FairWeather because I believe we might do Burghley again this year.

I am not sure I would do Members seats again if/when I return. I do recall being able to sit in a designated section for s/j, and having a nice time inside the enclosure's catering area throughout the weekend, but I suspect it was the company and not so much the benefits. You pay a'la carte for all dining, but I think you do that now at Kentucky too. The first few years of the Rolex 4* the Member Tickets got you free booze!

Definitely go. It's magic!

sumatra
Jan. 20, 2012, 09:44 PM
We stayed at the William Cecil last year for Burghley, it was great! No traffic to deal with, a very friendly hotel, great food. Would definitely do it again.....

LAZ
Jan. 20, 2012, 10:35 PM
I thought the members tickets were great, if only for the parking & ability to use member bathrooms (no line & running water). I also like being able to change seats for dressage & we could do that. We wandered into the headphone seats early Thursday & and that was nice, but found out that we didn't really have tickets for that. Your member tickets will get 2 people parked (we came in the back gate, behind Burghley House and parked right up against the member tent every day), entrance to the grounds, seating for dressage, admission Saturday & Sunday but you need grandstand seats. The shopping is fabulous and the choice of food is diverse and tasty.

My friend and I had a fabulous time. Rolex pales in comparison (I've gone every year since 1980).

tlw
May. 1, 2012, 08:25 AM
Well, I just ordered our tickets for Burghley (early bird and all that). We decided to go with the Members package and paid attention to those who said to move up a few rows in Section D for show jumping so as to be able to see over the rail, etc (we are 5 rows up, middle of the section). My question is, what are the seats like? In the old days at Rolex the stands had bleacher seats with no backs that got awfully hard by the end of the day. We always took one of those foam gardener's knee pad things to soften things up. They don't weigh a thing and would be easy to pack. Do we need something like that? What about on the back row? It would probably provide a back rest and doesn't look to be very much further from the jumps - there are only 15 rows altogether. Thanks.

Willesdon
May. 1, 2012, 08:14 PM
Generally, seats at these things are shaped plastic with backs. They are not uncomfortable. Moreover, there is so much to see and do that you are unlikely to spend hours and hours sitting on them. You can come and go.

Members usually have access to tables and chairs overlooking the arena while having that British essential, a cup of tea.

Fortunately, Burghley is on the drier side of the country and September is a usually a drier month so you stand more chance of a good few days of fun than at Badminton.