PDA

View Full Version : Silly question - nameplates on saddles

Duckz
Jan. 19, 2012, 12:53 PM
At the hunter barn where I boarded in the 90's we put nameplates on the back of our saddles. Having just acquired a new jump saddle and a new/used dressage saddle I was planning on decking them out with nameplates. My dressage/eventer friend was horrified by the idea of marring the leather with such tackiness :eek:

Is this a faux pas outside the hunter world?? Has 1995 called looking for my nameplates??? :confused: Do DQs and Eventers memorize serial numbers on their saddles? WILL I BE LAUGHED OUT OF THE DRESSAGE RING??? Please COTH, I don't want to be *that* person. What to do?

Big_Grey_hunter
Jan. 19, 2012, 12:55 PM
I don't think so, the eventers/dressage riders in my barn put nameplates on their saddles.

snoopy
Jan. 19, 2012, 12:56 PM
My dressage/eventer friend was horrified by the idea of marring the leather with such tackiness :eek:

Has 1995 called looking for my nameplates???

And so s/he should be!

And yes!

Highflyer
Jan. 19, 2012, 01:05 PM
I have them on my saddles. I bought them used and they already had holes anyway (and the plates are on their 2nd or 3rd saddle as well). It never occurred to me that they might be tacky. And really, so what if they are?

snoopy
Jan. 19, 2012, 01:15 PM
What is actually the point/purpose of driving nail holes into your saddle? Do you write your name in your underwear as well?

Judysmom
Jan. 19, 2012, 01:17 PM
Hey Duckz- 1995 keeps calling for my custom fullchaps- I haven't answered yet!

Seriously, I don't think nameplates are a big no no,and might be a good idea if you are in a larger barn.

wendy
Jan. 19, 2012, 01:23 PM
If all you want is some easy ID, you can buy a cheap small pet ID tag and put it on your D-ring. No holes in the saddle. Just as easy to remove as a saddle nameplate if someone steals the saddle, but if everyone at the barn has the same "fad" brand of saddle, it might be handy to be able to easily pick out which one is yours.
If you go with either the pet ID tag or the saddle nameplate, put your phone number on there, not just your name. When your horse dumps you on a trail ride, runs off, and arrives back at the barn two hours later without the saddle, and a hiker stumbles across next week, the hiker can get it back to you.

ExtravagentEventer
Jan. 19, 2012, 01:28 PM
My Dressage Saddle has a nameplate (previous owner had a plate too). I'm also a regular DQ...and I have seen plenty of saddles with nameplates. My plate is quite small and is tastefully done.
My jump saddle does not have a plate...but I'm thinking of putting one on it. I have a deep scratch that the plate would cover splendidly!

I sure hope you wouldn't be laughed out of the ring...eventers are not known for that. :) And if I wasn't laughed out of the ring at GAIG Champs for Dressage...I'm sure you won't be either!

snoopy
Jan. 19, 2012, 01:29 PM
If all you want is some easy ID, you can buy a cheap small pet ID tag and put it on your D-ring. No holes in the saddle. Just as easy to remove as a saddle nameplate if someone steals the saddle, but if everyone at the barn has the same "fad" brand of saddle, it might be handy to be able to easily pick out which one is yours.
If you go with either the pet ID tag or the saddle nameplate, put your phone number on there, not just your name. When your horse dumps you on a trail ride, runs off, and arrives back at the barn two hours later without the saddle, and a hiker stumbles across next week, the hiker can get it back to you.

:yes:

Duckz
Jan. 19, 2012, 01:35 PM
What is actually the point/purpose of driving nail holes into your saddle? Do you write your name in your underwear as well?

Well...no...but I don't keep my underwear in a room where twenty other people keep their underwear. If I did, you're darn right I'd write my name on it! :D I like the pet tag idea though.

eventer_mi
Jan. 19, 2012, 01:40 PM
I have name plates on both of my saddles. I finally have two saddles I've liked long enough to "brand" them as my own.

I had a trainer waaaayyy back in the 80s and she used a permanent marker and wrote her name on the panels of her Crosby saddle. I saw that saddle for sale a few years later and was horrified at her name scrawled across in marker over the light tan panels. Sure, you couldn't see it when the saddle was on the horse, but yuck - who wants someone else's name permanently affixed to their new saddle?

If you like the nameplates, then go with it. I have just my last name on mine - my full name would have made for one long nameplate.

FLeventer
Jan. 19, 2012, 02:01 PM
My prestige saddle came with a blank nameplate. I think they look tacky, but if you. Like them then attach away.

snoopy
Jan. 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
Well...no...but I don't keep my underwear in a room where twenty other people keep their underwear. If I did, you're darn right I'd write my name on it! :D I like the pet tag idea though.

:lol:

lv4running
Jan. 19, 2012, 02:30 PM
If the holes were in the saddle I'd put a nameplate on it. If there weren't any holes in the saddle I'd never make some for a nameplate.

deltawave
Jan. 19, 2012, 02:33 PM
If my intention was ID/security, I'd microchip the saddle. Yes, you can. :) A nameplate or dangly tag can be removed in 15 seconds, but if someone doesn't know a saddle is microchipped then it can't be removed.

That said, I don't actually bother since none of my saddles is worth all that much and they're covered under homeowner's insurance.

My dressage saddle, which I got in a trade with scubed, has a nameplate on it--but it has someone else's initials! I don't know who the person is, but I have just never gotten around to removing it. :lol:

In the end, though, it's your saddle. Put on a nameplate if you want to! You can also buy little kits to burn your initials into the leather underneath the flap.

Catie79
Jan. 19, 2012, 04:20 PM
I might not be a valid vote, as I'm from the h/j world, but both of my saddles have name plates. It's so much easier when you're in a tack room full of dressage and jump saddles to just grab the one with your name on it. It's also easier when other people are riding my horse, they always know which saddle to use. Or, my favorite, we've arrived at an event and everyone's in the dressing room at the same time. 'Can you grab my saddle?' is a lot easier when they can see on the cantle which one is yours.

Jumping saddle has a small brass plate, dressage saddle has a small silver plate. I get more compliments than anything, usually from people that are trying to tack my mare and can find my gear easily.

lightym
Jan. 19, 2012, 04:31 PM
I love name plates I think they look amazing all my saddles, bridles and breast plates have name plates on them!!!

Go for it!! it is not just a thing from 90's!!!!

Far_North_Equestrian
Jan. 19, 2012, 05:09 PM
None of my tack is worth much, but the dressage saddle is getting one to cover existing holes.

If I had a new, expencive saddle and lived at a barn with closed tack lockers like I do, I still would leave it off I avoid marking the saddle - but if it were a shared tack room with lots of people's stuff "loose" then I'd nameplate it for sure.

flutie1
Jan. 19, 2012, 05:27 PM
If the judges are looking at the name plate, someone has a big problem. As was posted, it's your saddle, do what you want!

wildlifer
Jan. 19, 2012, 05:30 PM
I have no problems with them. I hardly go around horse shows staring at everyone's @$$ so honestly, I don't really see how anyone even notices.

jenm
Jan. 19, 2012, 05:43 PM
I bought a used saddle with a nameplate on it. I may change it out, but honestly, I don't care what anyone thinks about it. It's a beautiful saddle and most importantly, it fits my horse.

I don't pay attention to other saddles, so I couldn't even tell you if anyone I know has nameplates!

Duckz
Jan. 19, 2012, 05:54 PM
Jumping saddle has a small brass plate, dressage saddle has a small silver plate. I get more compliments than anything, usually from people that are trying to tack my mare and can find my gear easily.

Where did you get the silver one? :)

Chouteau
Jan. 19, 2012, 06:35 PM
Dover carries silver name plates
I'll admit, I not only have nameplate on my saddles but bridles too (& black tack has to have silver plates:)

Xanthoria
Jan. 19, 2012, 06:40 PM
If you want security for the saddle, better than a microchip etc is something police and would-be thieves can see, but not remove.

That would be your driver's license number with state abbreviation, either stamped or burned into the leather under the flap where it won't rub off.

Now nameplates? Fun. But if I was getting one, I'd get something daft like...

"If you can read this, my rider fell off"

"Ride it like you stole it"

"Frequent flyer"

"If you can read this, you're about to get kicked."

:D

OTTBs
Jan. 19, 2012, 07:02 PM
If my intention was ID/security, I'd microchip the saddle. Yes, you can. :) A nameplate or dangly tag can be removed in 15 seconds, but if someone doesn't know a saddle is microchipped then it can't be removed.

If someone doesn't know a saddle is microchipped, it might as well not be! Considering you need to be within ?a foot? of the chip with the scanner to identify it as yours. Maybe if several boarders at the same barn have the exact same saddle a chip would help pick yours out of the lineup... Now if you can implant a GPS device that would tell you where the saddle is at all times, that might be helpful.

yellowbritches
Jan. 19, 2012, 09:08 PM
I don't really see any reason to not put saddle plates on. I have had them in the past, but neither of mine have them currently (probably a good thing, considering I may sell my jumping saddle). I think the would be extremely useful in a tack room such as the one in my barn- we have quite a few CWDs now and a whole bunch of Devocouxs!!! I am always very impressed that they end up on the right horses!!! My saddles stick out, as they are not fancy, trendy saddles, so I have no problem finding them!

ake987
Jan. 20, 2012, 12:32 AM
I had no idea name plates were considered tacky. My jump saddle has a small brass plate. I'm in the process of buying a dressage saddle and I intend to put a silver plate on that. I also board my horse in a large training barn, our trainer probably rides 80% of the boarder's horses, plus horses in professional training with her exclusively. A bunch of us also ride each others horses when we can't make it out. Identification. All of that would be much more time consuming without name plates.

I also think they make for a polished look, but that's just me. :)

event_ryder
Jan. 20, 2012, 01:35 AM
I like mine. Get quite a few compliments on it.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/event_ryder/IMG_6851.jpg

runNjump86
Jan. 20, 2012, 02:11 AM
I like mine. Get quite a few compliments on it.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/event_ryder/IMG_6851.jpg

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Love it!!

I've always wanted a fancy saddle nameplate, but never had a fancy enough saddle to warrant it. My Courbette came with one, but since I still haven't decided if I'm keeping it I haven't had it engraved/installed yet.

Now I'm thinking of fun creative ideas for a nameplate. My name is just not cool enough. If I had kept my maiden name, then I would have had one hilarious plate...

deltawave
Jan. 20, 2012, 03:48 AM
If someone doesn't know a saddle is microchipped, it might as well not be! Considering you need to be within ?a foot? of the chip with the scanner to identify it as yours. Maybe if several boarders at the same barn have the exact same saddle a chip would help pick yours out of the lineup... Now if you can implant a GPS device that would tell you where the saddle is at all times, that might be helpful.

There is nothing that can completely deter theft, and we're not talking the Mona Lisa here. :) Yes, the main use of a microchip would be to positively identify a stolen saddle if it showed up at say a used tack shop, a pawn shop, etc. It would be useless for telling which Devoucoux belongs to whom in a tack room full of identical saddles, but I don't orbit in those circles. :lol:

DressageOverFences
Jan. 20, 2012, 03:59 AM
I like them on jump saddles and have one, but I think they look tacky on dressage saddles for some reason, perhaps because of the large round cantle and the tiny square nameplate that just looks silly.

Duckz
Jan. 20, 2012, 08:39 AM
There is nothing that can completely deter theft, and we're not talking the Mona Lisa here. :) Yes, the main use of a microchip would be to positively identify a stolen saddle if it showed up at say a used tack shop, a pawn shop, etc. It would be useless for telling which Devoucoux belongs to whom in a tack room full of identical saddles, but I don't orbit in those circles. :lol:

Some sort of obvious ID comes in handy to prevent accidents. Back at our old boarding barn one of the parents took home my mom's saddle thinking it belonged to their kid. That got sorted out pretty quickly once they saw the nameplate under the saddle cover.

This thread makes me want to slap a tasteful silver nameplate on my dressage saddle that says, in italics, "Wide Load" :)

Ltc4h
Jan. 20, 2012, 12:15 PM
Really no yes or no opinion, I say if you want it do it.
Out of all my saddles, only 1 has name plate-not even mine from person I purchased from.
And I've got quite a few. I collect saddles like some people shoes have over 20, once bought they don't cost to keep & almost always guaranteed to have something to fit next new horse

NRB
Jan. 21, 2012, 12:02 AM

Lol!

Ages ago, when there was a rash of barn burglaries we burned our names and id info into the saddle flap (underside). It was there permanently. And yes I did sell the saddles after a couple decades, lol.

But I say do what you like and never worry about what other people think or say about your saddle.

oldpony66
Jan. 21, 2012, 11:17 AM

:lol: is this spoken from experience? :lol:

enjoytheride
Jan. 21, 2012, 12:38 PM
I have gotten saddles with the name of a "famous person" on them. I feel that some of their skill must have rubbed off their butt and into the saddle leather and then from the saddle leather into my butt.

cleozowner
Jan. 21, 2012, 04:12 PM
I have gotten saddles with the name of a "famous person" on them. I feel that some of their skill must have rubbed off their butt and into the saddle leather and then from the saddle leather into my butt.

So I should just order a bunch of saddle plates with different riders' names for the different disciplines? Hilda Gurney for dressage, Margie Goldstein-Engle for stadium...

Paddys Mom
Jan. 21, 2012, 08:02 PM

Hmmph! I bought a saddle that belonged to a local big name and it hasn't done anything for my riding!

If you don't want holes, I bought a nameplate that simply adhered to the cantle. It stayed on for 9 years of showing but popped off with little persuasion and no damage when I sold that saddle.

ECEventer
Jan. 21, 2012, 10:49 PM
My black country dressage saddle came with a BC nameplate and I have thought about trading it out. I don't think its tacky at all to have a nameplate. In fact, all of my other tack (and blankets) have small black tags with my last name on them just so they don't get lost.

Just make sure the name plate goes on straight! I do think it looks awful when they are crooked.

kimbrawner
Jan. 25, 2012, 11:37 PM
My 40+ year old Siegfried still has my favorite aunt's maiden name on it from the 70's. Wouldn't remove it for the world.

Kairoshorses
Jan. 26, 2012, 03:48 PM
I've marked my saddles as my own by peeing on them both.

;)