PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about open fronts

kkindley
Jan. 19, 2012, 10:34 AM
My mare has decided to no longer beat the tar out of herself at every stride, so we have graduated out of using brushing boots every ride. I want a pair of open fronts for stadium, and a nicer pair of xc boots. (Enough threads on those!!) I bought a pair of the Nunn Finer open fronts and they are a hair big. They slide down about an inch and that's with the velcro about as tight as it can go. I like the construction though. I assume the Roma's with magnets fit the same, because they look like the same boot. I picked up a cheapie pair of Dovers and the sizing is good, but they don't seem very protective. I am interested in the Tri-Zone open fronts and somewhere I saw Woof open fronts. I'd prefer vented, or at least cool, and synthetic. No leather or fleece. I have a nice older pair of those, but way too much maintenance. BTW she's a fairly petite 16hh TB. Thanks!

landcruiserdowny
Jan. 19, 2012, 10:44 AM
Eskadrons. They fit great and last a long time. There's a reason you see so many of them, very versitile and foolproof.

hightide
Jan. 19, 2012, 10:49 AM
I had the Woof open fronts for my TB who's pretty hard on boots. They were really durable and held up even though he wore them nearly every ride until he figured out where to put those long legs. They weren't as breathable as I would like, but they are neoprene inside with a hard shell so I didn't expect that. I'd definitely recommend them, though.

kkindley
Jan. 19, 2012, 10:59 AM
I don't really want to pay the price of the Eskadrons. For the price, I don't see how they are that much better than say, my cheapie Dovers.

I like the look of the Woof Oxy boot, but only see them listed as L/XL?

JFCeventer
Jan. 19, 2012, 11:00 AM
I second the Eskadrons, I've had mine for two years and they look brand new, they protect well, easy on the horse legs, easy to clean, do their job, and hold up well.

FLeventer
Jan. 19, 2012, 11:09 AM
I love my eskadrons. I actually have three pairs that have help up amazing over the years. They protect well, fit almost everything, and are easy to clean. I have a few pairs of the romas, not the magnetic, and they are nice but I dont like that they do not have the flexi-soft stuff at the back. I have a pair for just schooling around in junky weather and at home.

I also like the Equi fits open fronts. I have them I like how they conform to the horses legs. I may switch to them over the eskadrons, but I like the Velcro closures over the stud closures. More adjustable.

CarolinaGirl
Jan. 19, 2012, 11:20 AM
I've got a pair of the nunn finer open fronts with the interchangeable lining and have honestly put them on a horse maybe once (the fleece liners haven't been out of the package)... the mediums are much too big for my 15.1-16h guys. I've also got a pair of Devoucouxs that have only been used a handful of times but mainly because my saddle doesn't fit the horse I'm riding and the owner's saddle is black and the boots are the mahogany color lol.
The horse I'm currently riding has Equi-fits and I really like them quite a bit. We use the velcro ones... I prefer velcro as it gives me more flexible fitting options.

Action42
Jan. 19, 2012, 11:36 AM
I have a set of Kelly open front leather boots with interchangeable liners. I love them and they fit my large boned WB well. Got them off tackoftheday!

Judysmom
Jan. 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
I have the eskadrons but have switched to the equifits, the eskadrons fit fairly nicely and hold up well, but they get really hot. The equifits seem to be less hot and fit better.

Martina
Jan. 19, 2012, 12:25 PM
Love the Equi-fit open fronts. I had the Eskadrons and these blow them away. Pick up both and just knock your knuckles on the outside and you can feel how much better the equi-fits distribute the bang. They claim the boots don't hold heat. Vented would probably be better, but I love the foam.

wildlifer
Jan. 19, 2012, 02:04 PM
I have the super cheap Romas. After, let's see, six years of abuse, they are still going strong. I would never pay the prices of Eskadrons and such.

kkindley
Jan. 19, 2012, 02:16 PM
I have a leather pair, but I want a pair I don't have to worry about getting soaked. My mare is also fairly fine so what fits that, not a big boned WB. :)

englishcowgirl
Jan. 19, 2012, 02:24 PM
I don't really want to pay the price of the Eskadrons. For the price, I don't see how they are that much better than say, my cheapie Dovers.

I like the look of the Woof Oxy boot, but only see them listed as L/XL?

They fit better and are better quality. You want to cheap out on something like leg protection? Really? Your call...

purplnurpl
Jan. 19, 2012, 02:46 PM
I like the cheap-os.

for everyday wear ALL of my horses (from 15h to 17h) wear this:
http://www.legacytack.com/pc/10359/BRUSHBOOT/Roma+Open+Front+Jumping+Boots.html

at the shows I use these for XC at Training level and lower:
they are nicer quality than the ones above.
http://www.legacytack.com/pc/10678/BRUSHBOOT/Roma+Competitor+Seriers+Boot+Pack.html

and for hinds I use these:
http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Finer_Brushing_Boots_Single_Strap_p/9570.htm

I don't spend much on boots.

doritocoolerranch24
Jan. 19, 2012, 02:52 PM
equifits! they are great and not too expensive (under $100) for a quality pair of open fronts. the o'connors' use them as their choice of open fronts...nough' said!

kashmere
Jan. 19, 2012, 03:50 PM
Another vote for Eskadrons. They stay put, they last forever, and they're machine washable!

kkindley
Jan. 19, 2012, 04:01 PM
They fit better and are better quality. You want to cheap out on something like leg protection? Really? Your call...

That's a bit snarky. I never said I want to cheap out. I simply said they don't seem $75 better than the Dovers. HOW are they better? Others have said they are hot. There are so many new high tech boots now that I am interested in. Better tendon guards, ventilation, etc. I haven't ruled them out, but I'd like the best for my $. Neoprene and plastic is getting dated.

Thanks for the feed back on the Equifits. I have drooled over them but thought they would be hot. Glad to hear they are not. Do the stud hooks seem to have enough adjustments?

Florida Gator
Jan. 19, 2012, 04:12 PM
Chiming in from H/J Land...I have Eskadron Pro-Fit Memo boots. They have very similar lining to the Equifits but I've heard the Equifits can be hard to fit on different horses since they come in so many sizes. I ride lots of different horses and wanted the adjustability of the Eskadrons with the memory foam lining of the Equifits and found that in the Memo boots. I also love the matching hind boot because they are an actual fetlock boot and not just an ankle guard like most hind boots are. Look into them, I am SO pleased with mine :)

Hind boots: http://www.doversaddlery.com/eskadron-memo-hind-boots/p/X1-04195/cn/1656/

Open fronts: http://www.doversaddlery.com/eskadron%C2%AE-memo-front-boots/p/X1-04194/?ids=k0cfhr55emuom355gdnpww2p

wildlifer
Jan. 19, 2012, 04:29 PM

That's a bit much -- there is no evidence that they are "better" -- since boots don't require any sort of testing, there is no foundation to the statement that more expensive = more protection. So you are simply paying for the brand since, in my experience, my Romas have lasted years longer than the three pairs of Eskadrons my BO has gone through.

Hawks Nest
Jan. 19, 2012, 04:43 PM
I had (well they are sitting in the basement now since they are too small for my current *big* horses) a set of equifits, front and back, and I loved them. I only used them one summer (then said horse had to go back to polos or else he would not be as sound) and it was quite hot so his legs were sweaty under them but the foam cooled off so quickly and his legs did usually feel cooler than the rest of him after a hard ride.

If you get them, though, keep them in a fairly warm tackroom until you go to put them on in the winter, otherwise they won't bend at all. They do hold some water so not great to get soaked in the rain but otherwise I love them.

Martina
Jan. 20, 2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the feed back on the Equifits. I have drooled over them but thought they would be hot. Glad to hear they are not. Do the stud hooks seem to have enough adjustments?

I have the XL size for my warmblood with about 10" front cannon bone. They are a perfect tight fit w/ studs. I am on the last hole. It is quite a stretch to the stud, but is a great fit, esp when his legs soften the foam.

If you get them, though, keep them in a fairly warm tackroom until you go to put them on in the winter, otherwise they won't bend at all.

They are stiffer in the cold. I just bend them a couple times, and pull the elastic straps a couple times before putting them on and it is fine.

They do hold some water so not great to get soaked in the rain but otherwise I love them.

If you rinse them, take the foam out and sqeeze out the water. Otherwise they will hold water and take forever to dry. Usually I just use a horse brush to brush out any sand between uses. They've held up really well too. I've not had a problem in the rain.

enjoytheride
Jan. 21, 2012, 03:35 PM
Smartpak and Roma make open fronts similar to the Eskadrons

http://www.horsetackco.com/open-front-horse-boots.html

http://www.smartpakequine.com/open-front-protection-boots-4311p.aspx?cm_sp=CS-_-Open Front Protection Boots-_-NA&cm_vc=UpSell

Tekna also has open fronts in easy clean material.

Highflyer
Jan. 21, 2012, 06:16 PM
I ended up with the cheap Roma 4 pack, after a lot of dithering. I got them at BoB for $30 when they were having one of their sales and they seem to work fine and have held up really well so far. I looked at the Eskadrons and did not feel that they were significantly better materialwise, although I did think they were better cut. I don't really see the point of gel or magnets, and between the mud at my trainer's and the fact that my horse poops all over himself on a regular basis the pretty fleece ones were unappealing. I'm not crazy about the neoprene, but so far my horse has not had issues with it (he rarely wears the boots except for lessons and shows and generally for less than half an hour.)

*Trinity*
Jan. 21, 2012, 07:51 PM
Kkindley, check your PMs!!

HTeventing
Feb. 6, 2012, 06:44 PM
I just got dalmar open fronts.. just like the xc boots but open in the front!

DressageOverFences
Feb. 6, 2012, 07:09 PM
I love the equifits. Eskadrons are great, but just dont compare to equifits at all. Very low profile and meld to the horses leg. my horse does not hit herself nearly as much in the equifits as she does in her big eskadrons. I think the Es may be a tad big, but even so, i will always go with equifit in the future.